Cleaning Ostomy Irrigator Sleeves: Need advice on effective solutions

Replies
Views
billylump
Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm

I use a Hollister Irrigator Sleeve. What is a good solution for cleaning the sleeve? I use dishwasher soap with little success.

The sleeve sticks together after the attempt to clean it.

Thanks for your advice.

Billy Lump

Bill
Jan 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello billylump. It is a good question that you pose. 

I couldn't get on with dishwasher soap either. Interestingly, just plain warm water is often enough to do a reasonable job but the sleeve needs to be rubbed on a flannel whilst the water is still in it to get the inside cleaned off. I found that the tablets they use for steralising baby feeding bottles does quite a good job in removing stains (over here in the UK they call it 'Milton'.) But that needs to be left overnight to do a good job. However, more recently,  I have been using neat cheap bleach to clean almost all my equipment and the sleeves are no exception. I only have the equivalent of half a cupful,  which I pour into the sleeve and lay it on the floor of the shower so that the whole of the inside gets a thin dose. I leave it for an hour or so before pouring the bleach back into the glass jamjar for storage and reuse. If the bleach accumulates any 'particles', then I seive it through a drywipe and it is once again fit for purpose. after the session on the shower floor, I rinse the sleeve straight away, so that I don't forget about the bleach when using the sleeve next time. I don't think neat bleach would do the sensitive skin around the stoma a lot of good! This system works well for me, but as with all these 'remedies' it comes with a warning that it may not work for everyone.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

billylump
Jan 23, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you, Bill from the UK. You have a great idea. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Billy Lump

Puppyluv56
Jan 24, 2020 4:28 am

I too tried Dawn dishwashing soap and it seemed to clean fine but I think it yellowed the sleeves. I also used a finger brush to scrub around the flange of the sleeve but found that is not really needed either. I started using just hot water and I blow dry the sleeve before packing it in my case. That helps a lot and it no longer sticks.
Puppy

billylump
Jan 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Puppyluv56, thank you for the helpful information on cleaning an irrigator sleeve.

Billylump

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Puppyluv56
Jan 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Hope it works for you! Other than boiling everything, guess it is as sanitary as it needs to be! I used to think it needed to be sanitary. You know what, it is poop! Never going to be all that clean! Lol I use the same sleeve for months. I don't think they wear out. If they discolor, that is when I trash it. I use a two-piece pouch system so my sleeves fit the flange as well, so no belt needed. That was a pain in the butt. One less thing to worry about. When I started, I used sanitary gloves, belts, deodorant/lubricant, Dawn dishwashing soap, y barrier strips, barrier rings, wipes to clean and wipes to adhere, and you name it. I quit with it all. All I have now is my irrigation kit with sleeve, I do buy Walmart brand KY jelly to put a drop on the cone before irrigating, my flanges and pouches. No frills! Never had a skin irritation or problem sticking. I use regular shower gel. No "clean" residue-free stuff. Never a problem.
Puppyluv