Kratom for Neuropathy: Is it Safe?

Replies
Views
Hermit

Does anyone use kratom? I have a colostomy! It's good for my neuropathy! Just wondering if it's safe,

lovely

Here is some information I found online. It is from WebMD. Hope it helps.

Overview Information
Kratom is a tree. The leaves are used as a recreational drug and as medicine. Kratom is banned by some states in the U.S. due to safety concerns.

People use kratom for withdrawal from heroin, morphine, and other opioid drugs, as well as cough, depression, anxiety, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

Using kratom can also be unsafe. Kratom use has been linked to serious side effects including hallucinations, seizures, liver damage, withdrawal, and death. Due to these and other serious safety concerns, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to warn people to avoid using products containing kratom or its ingredients.

How does it work?
Kratom contains a chemical called mitragynine. Mitragynine works like opioid drugs such as codeine and morphine to relieve pain.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

Thanks for the info! Helps my neuropathy!

w30bob

You mean like in a salad? I've had kratoms in my salad a few times, but you have to eat them quickly or they absorb the dressing and get soggy. And soggy kratoms just plain suck. I think they make them from old hard bread. Just leave it on the counter overnight and the next morning it'll be hard as a brick. Then just cut it up into little cubes and voila......you have kratoms. Damn, now I'm getting hungry again. Ok..........got to go find some food!

:0)

Later,

Bob

Bill

Hello Lovely. Thanks for the Kratom lesson. I had not come across this drug before.

And Bob - I think you are refering to  'Croûtons' which are indeed stale bread, and tend to lacerate my gums and the roof of my mouth when eaten hard. I prefer them in soup where I can suck-em!

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Oh come on Bill......Croutons....Kratoms......let's not sweat the details. You say "Tomato"....I say "Tomato".......it's all good. Shit, now I'm hungry again...........ERRRR! (wink-wink)

Later,

Bob

redrosendaisy

I use kratom! I have been using it for about two months now. I get a lot of body aches and am not sure if it is from my previous fistula and ileostomy surgeries or not. I would love to hear if anyone else has gotten daily body aches after surgery.

Anyway, kratom is very beneficial.

Hermit

It's also good for anxiety and depression! The trick is determining how much to take!

redrosendaisy

Yes, it is. I take around 3.5g every four to six hours.

Hermit

Same here!

Puppyluv56

Is this a prescription drug or health food store natural remedy? Sounds interesting! Will have to check it out.
I do know that major trauma, as we all have had with our health, as well as anxiety, or any other emotional event can cause your body to react and that is when fibromyalgia begins. Usually triggered by one of the above events. Mine kicked in when I was in a car accident and has continued to get worse through more cancer and surgeries. It is impossible to differentiate the pain of surgery, cancer, old age, or fibromyalgia! It is all painful as well as other co-morbidities of surgery. May have to research this and consult my doctor. I cannot take any of the drugs that are supposed to relieve the fibromyalgia. Cymbalta sent me to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Wicked stuff!
Thanks for bringing this to the forum!

Puppy

Hermit

Yes, Mayo Clinic and pharmaceuticals claim it is dangerous and addictive! Maybe it is to some people! I've been using it for 2 months and stopped 2 weeks ago! No withdrawal! It is good for anxiety, depression, and pain! The problem is determining the amount to take! It's not a drug! I spent weeks researching! It is also used for people getting off alcohol and other drugs! I didn't even want a beer! I will catch some arguments! If you're in severe pain, you'll try anything! Start with 1-2 grams and build up! If you're taking blood thinners, you can't use this! Talk to your doctor! I am not taking any medication, so I just started taking it! I tried Gabapentin and thought I was losing my mind! Talk to your doctor as I think this will help you!

Puppyluv56

Hi Abe,

I have not tried Gabapentin or Lyrica because the Cymbalta was so bad. They all work the same and they too are addictive. You have to ramp down on them to get off. My mother did take both Lyrica and Gabapentin for her neuropathy and was on them for years. She never got off of them. I have just been enduring the pain and using Acetaminophen PM at night to sleep. It helps! I don't take any meds except HCTZ for blood pressure, so I am good, but I will ask my doctor. You said you went off of it. Why? Just to see if you thought you were addicted? I don't tend to have addictive qualities except to chocolate and coffee! Lol.
Thanks for the info.

Axl

Hi Red

Yes,   I too now have aches and pains all over my body which weren't there before surgeries. Difficult to sleep most nights is the main issue.

redrosendaisy

Thank goodness! I thought I was either going crazy or just imagining it. I wouldn't be able to sleep if it wasn't for kratom. I take some before bed and it really helps.

I have an appointment with my surgeon today and am going to mention it to him today.

Hermit

I research kratom constantly! It's a plant-based herb! Anyway, I take it for pain and neuropathy! Works for me! That and booze, only thing that works! Also, it helps to stop taking drugs, booze, etc. for addicts! Quit after 2 months, no withdrawal! Just trying to help people in pain like me! At our age, who cares if it's addictive or not? Give it a try, lot safer than alcohol or opioids!

Hermit

I research kratom constantly! It's a plant-based herb! Anyway, I take it for pain and neuropathy! Works for me! That and booze, only thing that works! Also, it helps to stop taking drugs, booze, etc. for addicts! Quit after 2 months, no withdrawal! Just trying to help people in pain like me! At our age, who cares if it's addictive or not? Give it a try, lot safer than alcohol or opioids!

solo_man

I've been taking kratom for nearly 5 years. Be careful not to overdo it. Keep your dosage as low as possible and take days off.

I'm not 100% certain but excessive kratom use may have led to, or at the very least contributed to a perforated colon which caused sepsis and a 35-day hospital stay. Ended with a temporary colostomy. I'm due for reversal soon but I've also been taking kratom daily since it helps to deal with every aspect of life. It's a vicious cycle. I'm praying that it doesn't interfere with surgery and recovery. Due to the surgery prep and clear liquid only/nothing by mouth, I'm going to be in mild withdrawal going into and after surgery and I have no doubt about that.

Be careful with it. Don't be like me.