Red skin after using Brava strips - need advice!

Replies
Views
xnine

I was wearing Brava strips last change and now I have some red skin where the strips were. I had them on for seven days. I have used them before without problems but this time I am having problems. I put some lotion on to soothe the pain. The skin under the flange is okay. I do not know what happened.

w30bob

Hi X,

From what I understand about red skin, the primary cause of redness is either abrasion/irritation or an allergic reaction. When it comes to any type of bandage being placed on the skin, I read that 50% of folks will develop a rash, and that the severity of the rash is determined by how long the bandage is applied. So apparently, your skin doesn't like to have the Brava strips on for that long, or the material/adhesive they used has changed. Skin also changes over time, but I'm not sure how or why that happens. Regardless, it sounds like the best thing to do is to let the air get at it for as long as you can... and use either a hydrocortisone or an antihistamine topically. The other thing that could cause redness is if your skin wasn't completely dry when you applied the strips, but I doubt that's the cause in this case. Anyway, let us know how it works out.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,448 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

newyorktorque

I don't always wear the Brava strips but I haven't had any problems so far. I only wear them for a max of 3 days then I change the bag (I'm a 'one-piecer').

xnine

I was only using them when the flange started to lift, but the last time I put it on at the start. I put some Vaseline Intensive Care on, and the stinging is gone. Just not sure why it happened.

britathrt60

Hi X

Maybe as Bob said, they have made a change in the material... It wouldn't surprise me. They seem to be making changes without letting us know. Hope you get it sorted out.

Ange

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Maried

Those strips are super strong and a lifesaver for me, but they do make my skin feel a bit sore. I do not add them during the weekend or when I am not working. I would think 7 days is pretty long. It would allow a build-up of bacteria and irritate your skin.

xnine

All is good, back to normal. Last time I just used a bit of waterproof tape when it was starting to lift.

britathrt60

Awesome news, Xnine.

Puppyluv56

Xnine,

I used to wear the brave y strips but found I still get 10 days from a flange without them and never a leak. May want to let that skin rest. Did you open a new box of strips? They could have changed the product or your skin can change as well.

Hope you get it figured out!

Pup