Relief for Flange Rash: Cutting Tape for Redness

Replies
Views
Ranger2705

Hey, just thought I would share something I discovered.
I know this probably won't work for most, but for those who still have most of their colon with thicker output and develop a rash under the outer adhesive part of your flange it might help.
I use a Hollister flange with a Cera ring. I was getting 5 to 6 days on the flange. A few months ago I developed a rash around the outer edge. I went down to 3 days and used zinc shampoo and butt paste diaper rash cream and it did a pretty good job but still a little red.
I figured that since I have never had output get past the Cera ring and the Ceraplus part of the flange I would just cut off the tape around the edges. Works great. Redness is almost gone. I do wear a stealth belt that secures bag and flange pretty well.

newyorktorque

Nice work, Ranger. Sometimes less is more.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,483 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Ranger.

That is a good idea, neat, simple and effective. I ended up making my own baseplates so that the adhesive on the flanges do not tough my skin at all. Interestingly, I only use half the medical adhesive to make them stick, which sounds equivalent to what you are doing.

Best wishes

Bill

2marilyn2

Hi Ranger,

I'm sitting here at the moment with the same problem, red rash all around the outer ring of adhesive! Covered in creams, Fucidin for the itch, Sudocream for the redness and wipes wrapped around the edge of the adhesive to keep it off my skin! I've had this before and my stoma nurse suggested a steroid puffer sprayed on the sore areas! It worked very well the last time but having no effect this time! I use Dansac one piece pouches and I have tried cutting the base plate back a bit and also covering the edges with the swabs but to no avail this time! At the moment to try and change pouches to another type might prove difficult so struggling a bit with it! Take care!

Ranger2705

Hey,

You might wanna try getting some zinc shampoo and Boudreaux's Butt Paste Maximum Strength. Dissolve a little shampoo in warm water and give the skin around the stoma a good wash. Then apply some paste and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before wiping off. This relieved the itching right away and helped with the redness without doing any cutting of the flange. I just cut the flange to get rid of the remaining redness. Hope this helps.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Great tip, Ranger! Always need one up the sleeve just in case you need it later!

Puppy

2marilyn2

Thanks Ranger, I'll try anything to get rid of this, thanks for your help! Take care!

Maried

I use Head and Shoulders Classic version as the zinc shampoo and Boudreaux Butt Paste too when my skin gets even a little red around my stoma.

2marilyn2

Hi Maried, thanks for your advice, I have Head and Shoulders shampoo and will try that tonight! Despite cutting away most of the adhesive part of the flange, I'm still struggling here with very sore skin! I will keep you updated, thanks!

iMacG5

You folks probably all know this stuff already but I'll repeat just in case.  When I developed a rash under the outer adhesive I was told it was probably a yeast infection.  I cut the adhesive off where the rash was and applied an antifungal cream.  It worked.  To prevent a recurrance I made sure I dried the skin completely after showering.  I didn't do anything else and the skin has been good for a couple years.  Moisture from perspiration could be a problem and I don't know how to handle that.

Respectfully,

Mike