Liquid Intake with Ileostomy

Replies
Views
tinmlizzy

I got my ileostomy in Nov 2019, so I'm still learning. I am finding that I have to drink at least 3 1/2 litres every day to avoid pancaking, which means I'm basically drinking all day long. I was wondering if there are certain times to drink which may cut back on my liquid intake. Has anyone else had this problem or can offer some help? Thanks in advance.

Longroad78

There is a topic in here that someone started that was very informative. They explain that the large intestine was able to absorb a large amount of your liquid intake, but without it, your body adjusts to having your small intestine do the job. The trick is you have to give up things or cut back on tea, coffee, and soda pop (cola) drinks - things that reduce your hydration. With water, you need to add some hydration minerals that bond to the water, allowing your small intestine to want to pull in the minerals with the water, which optimizes your liquid absorption. Staying ahead in the day by being hydrated will help as your day goes on. I work outside and have to stay on top of staying hydrated. This trick has helped out a lot. I already survived one hot Texas summer without issue, and this year looks like a hot one also. Magic fruit is watermelon for me with a little salt.

Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Timm,

As a fellow ileostomate, I know how important it is to hydrate. Longroad clearly explained why. There is scientific evidence that supports the fact that different body activities, including absorption by the intestine, demonstrate a rhythm of activity, peaking at certain times within 24 hours (controlled by "clock" genes). That is why a person is advised to take specific meds at a certain time of day. As for the absorption of water, I am not sure as to whether its absorption shows a certain rhythm. Most likely, its absorption is governed by the absorption of other nutrients by the gut. You are a recent ostomate, most likely, your small intestine has not yet adapted to absorb more water. Over time it will. However, you will still need to keep yourself hydrated especially in the summer months.

Xerxes

tinmlizzy

Thank you to all who replied to my request for info regarding liquid after an ileostomy. This has given me 'food for thought', so I made some adjustments and what has come out of it so far is only one visit to the bathroom during the night instead of 2, 3, or even 4 times. I'm sure this site has helped many people. Thank you.