The Origins of 'Ostomy': Unraveling the Meaning

Replies
Views
iMacG5

Language is important to me and communication is even more important. I like to know how some words were formed, where they came from and what they actually mean. So here goes. The word “ostomy” came from the folks who had the procedure done. It’s pronounced, ˈästəmi. That sounds like “AHHHHstomy” which reflects the “ahhhh” we might exclaim when we experience the relief from all the suffering before the procedure. It just couldn’t be spelled that way.
Be patient, ask questions and, hopefully, you’ll completely understand.
Respectfully,
Mike

lovely

Mike, that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Mike,

Well........I guess we all know I'm a bit "different" from the rest.....so it should come as no surprise to you that I pronounce it just a little differently. I pronounce it as "Motherf*king Shitbag on my hip-stomy". But only because I don't see it as a blessing, as so many others rightfully do......for me it's more of a curse. At least I capitalized the "M" in Mother (to show my respect for all you Mums out there). Hey.......I guess pronunciation has something to do with subjectivity sometimes.

Oh....for you sensitive folks out there.........please excuse my French on that one.....I just like tweaking Mike.

;0)

Bob

lovely

Maybe because we have to wear a ring like a lifesaver around it, we should just call it a "life saver pooper". That is what it has done for us.

iMacG5

Thanks, Lovely.  Your suggestion might encourage some folks to think differently.

Now Bob, Your pronunciation is almost exactly the same as mine before I got the thing and for some time after.  I swore I'd never ever have one and would rather die than wear a crap bag 24/7.  I guess cancer influenced me to perceive things differently.  I will never be happy with my stoma.  I don't even talk to it but without it I wouldn't be here to be tweaked by you in French.  I consider that an honor. 

Mother's day is a week away and your respectful expression should be appreciated.

Thanks fellow *&$%##@(*^%mates,

Mike

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Mike.

I do like the concept of people with the condition creating the name to coincide with how they feel. I did look it up to see if I could find the origins of the word - but a lot of it was 'Greek' to me. 

However, in my browsing, I came across a very interesting article which might be useful for newbies https://www.stomaatje.com/history.html 

Best wishes

Bill

lovely

Hi Bill, that does explain a lot of things. A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

iMacG5

So Bill, when we read that entire library we should know everything there is to know about our "things".  Thank you.  I hope there's a quiz coming.

Keep safe and stay well,

Mike