Tips for preventing leakage with seal and bag?

Replies
Views
Swiss miss

Any tips on how to keep the seal from leaking? A seal and bag used to last 5 days - now I'm lucky if I can get 3 days out of it before it leaks. I had breast cancer and went through chemo, radiation, and surgery, and I gained some weight. It seems the seal isn't sticking right. I used the paste where the leak seemed to be, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

bobcat740120

I had a problem with convatec wafers after my second surgery. Switched to Hollister and the wafers are excellent. No problems of leakage.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Swiss,

That's a pretty open question. We'll need some particulars....

Brand of wafer

Convex or flat

Are you using a ring

Is the extra weight making folds in your skin.....ie, where is it leaking from (bottom, side, top)

Does it always leak in the same place

How do you prep your skin before you apply your ring/barrier

Is it leaking at night when you sleep, during the day.......when you exercise......?

Is your output primarily liquid (ileo) or solid (colostomy)

Let's start there........

Regards,

Bob

Cplumber

Try using a belt. You can see different types of belts by searching ostomy belts on Amazon. Also, I used Convex and had no problem getting 7 days with a belt. I switched to Hollister because of the surgery and now I'm getting nine days.

Good luck! I'm praying for you.

Chris

Past Member

I would get samples of something else and see how you get on, putting weight on and losing it can make a big difference in how the wafer sticks to us... if you use a firm wafer now I would suggest trying one of the more flexible soft wafers or vice versa... has chemo/radiation changed your output and made it more watery now?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
countyclare

You might want to try using an Ostomy Barrier Seal (Eakin Cohesive ConvaTec Seal).

These come 20 Seals to a box. You just cut through a seal and wrap it around the base of your stoma.

It will adhere well to and protect your skin. Then proceed to apply the skin barrier and pouch as you normally

do. I have not had a leak since I started using the ostomy barrier seal many years ago. It will usually last up to a

week before you will need to change your appliance. The protective seals are rather pricey but very well worth it.

Eakin Cohesive ConvaTec Seals REF #839002

Hope this is helpful.

countyclare

You might want to try using an Ostomy Barrier Seal (Eakin Cohesive ConvaTec Seal).

These come 20 Seals to a box. You just cut through a seal and wrap it around the base of your stoma.

It will adhere well to and protect your skin. Then proceed to apply the skin barrier and pouch as you normally

do. I have not had a leak since I started using the ostomy barrier seal many years ago. It will usually last up to a

week before you will need to change your appliance. The protective seals are rather pricey but very well worth it.

Eakin Cohesive ConvaTec Seals REF #839002

Hope this is helpful.

Daanders

I had irritation so bad it started to bleed when taking off the bag. I went to an ET Nurse yesterday. She changed my bag and gave me a silicone seal. I woke up at 5 a.m. I am leaking. So I changed to a new bag and seal. Not even an hour later, I am leaking again. So I used a new seal and old bag. This is frustrating.

Cplumber

I have used a powder barrier seal in the past to dry things up. Then I always wear an ostomy belt of some kind, that really helps. You can search ostomy belts on Amazon to see different types.

Hope that helps. I will be praying for you.

Chris

Mom11

Wow... honestly, I change my bag every day after my shower. I was told to do this from the start and just kept with it. I have changed the type of bag a couple of times as my shape has changed. If I am going out, I would wear Coloplast seals over my Dansac bag.

I think everyone has accidents at some time or another... it depends on what I eat or drink too.

Best of luck!

MBT

Everyone has had great suggestions. You may need to consider re-measuring your stoma. Cancer and chemotherapy can cause changes to your pouch needs.

Here are a few suggestions for pouch application:

1. Pull the peristomal skin up before applying the pouch to ensure that the pouch goes on flat.

2. Apply the pouch from the bottom of the ostomy toward the top to get a better seal.

3. Use heat to activate the adhesive (warm towel from the dryer or even the heat of your hand).