Looking for Shirts to Cover Ostomy Bag - Any Recommendations?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

I saw in the current "Ostomy Products" post that Mike (iMacG5) mentioned that he wore T-shirts and sewed a pocket into support his bag. That got me thinking... has anyone found any other brands of T-shirts (other than Dickies that I buy) that are long enough to cover your bag without being stupid big overall? It's funny because Dickies also makes a "Tall" version of their T-shirts that are too damn long... they look like I'm wearing a dress! I think Duluth Trading makes long shirts (to cover plumber's butt), but haven't bought one yet. So I'm curious as to what others have found in shirts... doesn't have to be T-shirts... anything that actually "fits" but is long enough to cover the bag, but not knee length. I realize your body size and shape has a lot to do with this question, but still let me know what you've found and I can check my size in that brand and see if it works for me as well. So what have you folks found out there that I haven't???

I would have PM'd Mike directly, but figured others might get some good info from this conversation.

Thanks,

Bob

Past Member

I'm in the UK so not much use to most members on here. I buy most of my t-shirts, rugby tops from Sainsbury's, ASDA, Cotton Traders, Fat Face. They're just the right length for me, but then it does all depend on where your stoma is sited.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit

Cotton is the best, and if it is Egyptian then you have the best in the world in your hands. If you are interested in the item that you put on first thing in the morning and the last thing you take off at night then try Spanx, nice t-shirts too. A bit restrictive but the bag won't show, good to wear when going out. They also have t-shirts that are stretchable. Another good source: deadgoodundies.

Past Member

Hi Bob,

I've always worn t-shirts and tuck them in, even dress shirts. I'm big and tall, extra long tall plumber's butt. I have the bump from the bag, I just live with it. I don't like it either. Best of luck, Mountain.

spyke5

I have been getting my t-shirts from L.L. Bean and luckily for me, they are all long enough now too. They are well-made, nice, and thick, not like most clothing these days. Always watch for a sale. Mark

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40651?page=men-s-carefree-unshrinkable-tee-traditional-fit-short-sleeve

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Little Lulu

While we are on the clothing topic, I have a question for the ladies. No problem finding long shirts to cover the bag - that's the style right now, but I have been on the search for really comfortable pants for three years. I don't like anything tight across my stomach, always buy a little large to accommodate expanding bag, but haven't found the perfect pant yet. When I first had my ileostomy in 2016, I had some pants from JJill that were a soft knit with a yoke at the top kind of like yoga pants. These worked very well, but I need a larger size now, and the company has changed the style. I even tried maternity jeans, as some ladies recommended, but the proportions were off. What have you ladies had success with? Suggestions?
Thanks, Lucy

w30bob

Hi Lucy,

Just thinking you might want to make your question a separate topic post.   Many just skim the topic titles and I'd guess some women seeing a post from a guy about T-shirts might not even read it......and then would never see your pants question.   But if they saw your question as a separate topic they might.   I know when I scan topics.......some I just have nothing to say about and skip over.......so I assume others do too.   Just a thought.    

Regards,

Bob

Little Lulu

Thanks, Bob! I actually thought of that right after I posted! I'll do as you suggest and see what happens. Hope you get some good suggestions about the shirts!  

Good luck to us both!

Lucy

Puppyluv56

Hi Lucy,

I have never had a problem wearing any of my old clothes (pre Ostomy). Most jeans are stretchy now and I usually wear Crown and Ivy shorts that have a little spandex in them as well. I have seen many styles in Belk's and Kohl's that have that wide band of elastic at the waist. I am not an elastic wearer of any kind. I hate it, so I never tried those. I don't know the brand names. Possibly New Direction, Belk's brand, or Ruby Red.

Little Lulu

Hi, Puppyluv,

Thanks for your suggestions! It is always helpful to see what others have tried. I'll do some research on the brands you have named.  

Thanks, Lucy

iMacG5

Hey Bob, thanks for keeping this topic going. I don’t think there’s an answer that will satisfy everyone. There are differences relative to stoma placement, length of the bag, length of ouselves and where our beltline is. Do we wear the bag inside or outside our pants? For us guys there’s another consideration. Pulling up our pants to fully cover the bag could crush those other things hanging from us. Suspenders present another situation for guys but doesn’t help the girls. It’s a learning process and a bunch of the learning is right here.
Mike

Puppyluv56

I have my entire pouch and flange on the inside of my panties so that makes any type of pants I'm wearing work. My stoma is below my waist enough but sometimes the adhesive around the flange, with Convatec, it is a soft mesh material, is just at the bend of my waist and rolls down just a pinch. I try to cut my hole where it leaves the least amount of adhesive on the top.
It does not matter how long my shirts are with this. My (granny panties) cover it all. I do have problems finding shirts sometimes. I wear mostly a large but sometimes a medium. Some brands you want larger but every time I try an extra-large, I find that they are way too long. For some reason, they think the bigger you are the longer you want your clothes and yes, those long shirts do make my butt look big! Lol I opt to get a larger size but do it in a petite size, that way, I get the looser fit and not the length! I do want them down to the top of my legs but no further. People look at me crazy when I buy petites. I am tall! Lol it works!
If you find this to be true, you can try a larger size in petite too!
Puppy

w30bob

Pup.......you're starting to sound like Warrior now........so we're back to you guys wanting me to wear panties again?

But the "granny panties" idea I kind of like. As long as they come in pink and they've got fringe or frillies hanging from them.

;0)

Bob

steve74041

I've found that the Under Armour line of T-shirts are long enough to cover my pouch. They also have button-up shirts that give a bit of "dress" to my look. I wonder if the "Untucked" brand shirts might offer some dress option and cover our pouches.

Puppyluv56

Haha, they come in all colors and all frills! Lol nbsp

You guys should spruce up your tidy whiteys! Haha

Pup

w30bob

Thanks Steve!  I'll look into those.  

Regards,

Bob

steve74041

I started wearing the Under Armour shirts back in '07 as they were long enough, but not too long. I, too, would like to hear from anyone who has tried the Untucked shirt brand.

w30bob

Hi guys,

I haven't tried the "Untuck It" shirts, but from what I've seen of their styles on TV... I think they'd be a little short for my bag. I'm still thinking that if I want to actually dress "nice" I'd have to make a bag cover in black spandex and embroider a Nike swoosh logo on it. Then folks would look, but then not question it. Or it can be any other sportswear logo... you get my drift.

Maybe for Christmas some of you might get some Untuck It shirts and let us know how they fit. Oh wait... stop the presses! I just checked out their website...

https://www.untuckit.com/collections/shirts?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=961629816&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Jy95da17QIVg4JbCh3YfQoCEAAYASAAEgL-sfD_BwE

Their cheapest shirt is $69 and the most expensive (that I saw) was $109. I think I'll stick with my $8.99 Dickies Plumber Butt T-shirts and slightly oversized flannel shirts from Ollie's Discount Stuff for $10... I'm wayyyyyy too cheap to spend that kind of coin on shirts that will be too tight after a wash or two. But you guys have at it... and let us know how they fit.

Regards,

Bob

iMacG5

Thanks for the warning, Bob.  For $109 I would expect a 3-piece suit, a shirt and a tie.  Well, maybe not the tie.

I'm interested to see where this goes.  I'm still using the pockets and, I guess, the location of my stoma allows that to work.

Mike

w30bob

Hi Mike! Yeah, obviously stoma location and the length of your bag will be key here.......so everyone's mileage will vary. I had no idea that the TuckIt stuff was so expensive......and the cost of clothing is a pet peeve of mine.......so it's a no-go for me. But if it works for others I say go for it. I had an aunt who had a women's clothing boutique, so I got to see what fashion clothing actually costs. I'll just say the markups on that stuff are simply hard to believe. Maybe what's harder to believe is that people are stupid enough to pay those prices. Now that I've peeked behind the curtain......I have no respect for the wizard of Oz!

Regards,

Bob