Watermelon and Ostomy: Fiber Concerns?

Replies
Views
judgelori

I am about one year in with my ostomy and doing well.

Just wondering what the deal is with watermelon...

I ate it last summer one day (2 bowls...love watermelon!!) and a little while later I had this ball in my bag...not really sure what it was....thinking maybe the fibers from the watermelon??

Anyway...it scared me so I don't eat it much anymore...one or two bites but then I stop.

Is watermelon safe to eat for us?? (ileostomy)

Was that little ball something anyone else has experienced?? And was it most likely fibers??

I haven't seen anything like that ever before when eating anything.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lori

Hermit

I ate it with no problems! Both ileostomy and colostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

looking forward

I eat it all the time

Past Member

A big yes from me. I love it... I can see you're worried about it. Just gradually increase the amount you eat.

Longroad78

Watermelon with a dash of salt is a good way to help stay hydrated in the hot months, but I do see it when I empty my bag but have not had any issues. Back in the day, I could eat a whole watermelon in one sitting, but living with an ileostomy, eating in moderation is the way to go testing things out with all foods.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Judge,

Watermelon is fairly easy to digest and low in fiber, so it's considered a "good" food for ileostomates. I doubt the ball of fiber you saw in your bag was from the watermelon, but take it slow and see how it goes. I prefer my melon frozen, as I love that texture. Longroad got it right. The salt on the watermelon trick works. The salt makes the melon taste sweeter......and provides the sodium you need to go along with the glucose in the melon......and bingo.....you stay hydrated. Now all this talk has me wanting some watermelon......but all the stores are closed. Guess I should read these posts in the morning instead!!

Regards,

Bob

Penguins7

Yes, okay for me too. Just make sure it is seedless. Stay well. Penguins7

GK 1971

Hi

Watermelon is okay. But it should be without seeds. That ball shape stuff might be the raw seed left inside watermelon.

So nothing wrong in taking watermelon...enjoy!!! :)

nrncyde

I have just had my ostomy for about three months, but so far almost all vegetables (raw and cooked) and fruits—especially watermelon—give me awful liquid "output". Will this change over time?

Newbie Dana

Yes!! For the first few to several months, your remaining intestine is healing, and a low residue diet is recommended to give it time to heal. It will take time and re-adding foods back to your diet slowly until things get more normal, and you will find that your output will change over time as your body adjusts and heals. Don't give up hope; it does get better! Just be patient and give it time. Eventually you will find the few foods that you can't eat (or can't eat much of) and the many more foods that may cause problems now but won't later as you adjust.

Mariposa

I have an ileostomy and eat seedless watermelon all the time.

River Birch

My ileostomy is four years old; the colon and six inches of the small intestine were removed. Since one of the functions of the colon is to absorb extra water and return it to the system, if some or all of it is missing, foods with a high water content will produce watery output and this will not get better over time unless your diet changes as well. Reduce the quantity of foods with a high water content and increase consumption of water-absorbing foods such as rice. I also eat fresh fruits and salads at home (but not for breakfast) and do not bring them to work for lunch since I have to use the restrooms there every two hours as it is. Eventually, you will figure out what to eat and when, to minimize disruption to your lifestyle.