Ileostomy Reversal Recovery Progress - Update

Replies
Views
Past Member

Just left the hospital after my reversal on the 9th. Doesn't hurt as much but have bruise around my stoma area but all in all a success. Went to the bathroom the 3rd day after surgery and had about 8 BM. Then 5 BM and today just had 1 so far. Don't know what to expect, haven't passed gas yet which I heard people usually do after surgery. Guess I'll see how it goes. Thanks to all that have replied to my post. I will keep everyone updated. Nothing but love and good vibes to everyone.

lovely

Hi Lrasphong, so happy to hear you are out of the hospital and doing well. Keep us updated and stay safe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Lrasphong.  Thanks so much for the good news.  Seems like you have a great attitude along with a quickly recovering body.  

Respectfully,

Mike

Bagface

Lrasphong - Very happy for you! Thanks for updating us!

w30bob

Hi, Lrasphong! That's great news. 1 BM so far........Wow......I'll never see that again.......but glad it's all working out for ya!! Speedy recovery my friend!!

Regards,

Bob

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Lrasphong, that's good news that we all like to hear. Cheers to good health for you.

Angelicamarie

Good for you! Prayers up.....

Past Member

Thank you, lovely, and everybody that's been responding.   All honesty, I'm in a lot of pain and have doubled my pain meds. I know I'm not supposed to, but it hurts. Yesterday was one of the worst pains. Ate a little and couldn't go to the bathroom, so that had me more worried, and not passing gas made it worse. Today, I started using the bathroom and pooped a lot and started passing gas for the first time, and it felt great. It made me laugh to myself. But the relief from my stomach made it that much better. I feel I'm getting better, but the staples may also be the cause of some of the pain and discomfort. It hasn't been a week yet, but I feel as though I am getting better and will return back to normal. BM haven't been crazy from all the horror stories I've read. Thanks for thinking of me. I will pray for everybody on this website that we have a blessed day.

lovely

Hi Lrasphong, sorry you are having so much pain. But it is good that things have started working. I pray you will heal quickly. I see you are from Greenwood, is that where you had your surgery done? I had mine in Greenville. Best wishes and stay safe.

Bagface

Your pain could be gas. After my surgery, I had wicked gas pain. A nurse advised me to lie on my side in a fetal position and walk. It helped quite a bit. Please be careful with the pain meds.

Past Member

Yes, lovely, and thanks for the good wishes.

Past Member

I think you are 100% right. I tried lying on my side, and it seems to make the pain even worse. Walking is something I do less of, but I try to do it as much as I can. Thanks for the advice. The pain meds are the only way I've been able to become semi-normal. Now my appetite has decreased so much from before; it's kind of scary. I only eat one time a day because of the pain. Also, maybe it's just my body telling me to take it really easy. I'm not sure what to do because the pain seems to intensify even more when I get up to move a little. Thank you for the support. Any advice is appreciated. 

w30bob

Hi Lrasphong,

I want to be clear here... has your appetite decreased, meaning you're just not hungry... or are you hungry but choose not to eat because it hurts to eat? If you have no desire to eat, that's a very distinct symptom. If that's the case, you should call your doc tomorrow. Maybe you can set up a video chat appointment. Even if you can't meet with the surgeon, they should have interns on their team that can discuss your situation. Pain is more difficult to figure out, as everyone has a different threshold for pain, and what you might call severe, I might consider mild, etc. But a true loss of appetite warrants further investigation. Does it hurt to drink? If not, or it's tolerable, you might try drinking some meal replacement shakes. It's also important you don't get dehydrated, so check the color of your urine (clear is fully hydrated, light yellow is normal, and anything darker indicates you're dehydrated). You can even call your doc's office now and leave a message, so they can squeeze you in tomorrow sometime. Or at the very least, call you back to discuss. Take care, my friend!

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Everything got better woke up this morning around 2am and just had diarrhea for a while and it emptied everything out. Felt like I lost 20lbs after that my appetite came back no cramps or bloating.  Pain levels have dropped a lot. So now able to eat and deal with aches and pains from eating here and there.  Just had to empty my stomach real good. I could smell all the medicine and chemicals they were pumping into me. Thanks for your concern Bob. Thanks for taking the time to message me. Enjoy your day.

lovely

Glad everything is getting back to normal for you. I pray you continue to get better. Best wishes and stay safe.

AM-PM

Hope you continue to feel better and better.

w30bob

Excellent!!! Rock on, bro!!

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

Congratulations and continued good recovery!

Past Member

Thanks and have been doing better, almost back to normal. I poop about 4 times a day... can't go back to work for another 4-6 weeks.... which sucks but it's turning out better than expected. Also, going weight... dam dam dam

Bagface

So glad to hear about your successful reversal! Stay well!