Best swimwear for ostomy bag?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the best swimwear options for individuals with an ostomy bag, providing advice and recommendations for comfortable and secure options.
Scotland44

I know I can't wear a regular swimsuit over the ostomy bag, but what can I wear that is comfortable and doesn't look too bulky around my waist? I have tried swim shorts with t-shirts, but the t-shirts tend to blow up around the top of my torso with the movement of the water. Any ideas women who have been swimming with the bag would be much appreciated.

Hazel.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hi Hazel,

I wear my normal swimwear from before surgery. One piece and two pieces. I guess it all depends on your stoma placement. Mine is below my waist so my normal bottoms cover everything except the big scar on my chest that goes down below my belly button. And my belly button has been relocated a little to the side so I surely don't want all that showing. I swim in the ocean and have a pool in my backyard so I am in the water all summer! If I am in a group, I do use a barrier strip for added protection, just in case, but have never had a mishap.

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
looking forward

Hi, I could not figure it out either. So, rather than looking so bad, I just don't go swimming. LOL

Past Member

Hazel, I wear the same bathing suits as before my surgery too. I prefer a two-piece, just for convenience if I have to use the bathroom. If you're concerned about the outline of your ostomy showing, try to find a longer top with something to distract the eye, like a ruffle or large pattern in the fabric. Check out Ostomy Secrets; they have some bottoms with ruffles, but really, you can find something suitable just about anywhere. Like Puppy, I spend the summer at the cottage, so I'm either in the lake or our pool several times a day, without problems caused by swimming. I like to have several bathing suits because I hate putting a wet one back on! If there is something specific about swimming that you want help with, let us know, and we'll do our best.

Laurie

Past Member

Hey - life is too short to give up the things you love! Let us know what the problem is, and we'll try to help. We women are just too self-conscious about how we look in a bathing suit! 

Laurie

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Maried

I wear a high-waisted two-piece and do not eat a lot of food that day.. As a cover-up, I wear board shorts... In case my bag starts to blow up.

Puppyluv56

I always wear a ruffled in the front top that comes over my bottoms. The bottoms are usually a short-looking swimsuit or a skirt! Both work well. Even if my pouch fills, it is pretty much unnoticeable.

Pup

Past Member

I agree with everything these lovely ladies have already posted, I just wear the same type of bathers I wore pre-surgery. Some of the swimwear from ostomy companies is quite expensive and is basically the same design you can buy at retail outlets for half the price.

Anything with ruching or overlays/skirts or patterned prints that can camouflage the shape of the bag are good, rather than just one colour (examples below).

I wear a one-piece because for me they are more comfortable (and cover a multitude of sins!) but I can see the advantage of a high-waisted two-piece and some of those 50's style bathing suits are just lush!

anyark

I wear regular one-piece bathing suits. I like patterned ones, so people see the pattern and not the bag. Never had a problem and folks comment on my pretty suits.

collegeprof

I agree with everything said above. I also found those suits with the "tummy control" feature tend to hold everything in place as well.

moonshine

I wear a high-waisted golf short/skirt - I keep underwear on to flatten out the bag. Since the skort has shorts underneath, it keeps the bag down as well - I have a right-sided ileostomy - always keep the bag empty to help keep it flat.

Ottie

Hi. I too never went swimming then I tried a bathing suit with ruching, a very busy pattern. Now I don't feel self-conscious at all and am enjoying the water again.

Adelaide

Hazel.. I have an ileostomy. And I wear a regular one-piece swimsuit... What I did do, was buy a busy floral pattern, and the ostomy is not noticeable.

But, I do also wear a pair of my normal "knickers" as well... Just for support... Stay safe (Adelaide... who is actually from Sydney)

Lost_Treasure

Hi Hazel... I swam a kilometer a day in a 33º heated hydrotherapy pool for ten years (until spinal and multiple shoulder and other surgeries stopped me). I always wore tankinis, which successfully held my pouch in place and covered a multitude of other lumps and bumps. Enjoy the exercise, I envy you!

Sunny1978

They also make some 2-piece suits that are a little flowy on the top, kinda loose. I bought a couple of those and wore them for a while, but sometimes the top would end up coming up a little bit and I'd have to keep tugging it down again. But I personally wear a regular suit, no problem. It holds my bag in place so it's not being tugged all over the place. I chose a suit with a pattern so the little bump of my bag isn't really noticeable at all. Just depends on what you are comfortable with. I tried the tank top and shorts method too, and I totally understand the shirt moving all over and ending up full of water floating away from my body. That was more awkward and anxiety-provoking than wearing a regular suit. Definitely experiment with different swimsuits and don't give up swimming because of this!! You will find something that works, something that you feel comfortable in!

sooziq

I have been swimming for 42 years with an ileostomy in just a ladies 2-piece or 1-piece suit. I always use an older belt with a swimsuit. Never had any problems at all. Been in pools, Gulf of Mexico, and Pacific Ocean, all fine. Go for it.

spyke5

Also, you might check out www.stealthbelt.com. They have some made of neoprene for water. I wear one daily because I like wearing just t-shirts and it makes everything look smoother. Check out YouTube as well, many people have videos on what they do. Besides reading everything posted here, I watch a lot of YouTube to get my answers. I have only had my Ostomy since April 1, so I'm not a pro at this, but not one person has ever said anything or really paid much attention to me. We worry way too much about what we think others may be thinking when they are not even seeing us. Mark

Scotland44

Thank you for all your messages in answer to my email regarding what to wear for swimming. I solved the problem by rummaging in my towel cupboard and finding a swimsuit I bought ages ago and hardly wore. It has folded stretchy material across the front and has a bold pattern all over the suit. I have worn it now and it is perfect (or almost!).

petgirl

Same, I have not changed my swimwear. The only thing I have noticed, if you are conscious about such things (I don't always care/am bothered) Patterns hide the outline of the pouch better. Having said that, it's likely just because I know it's there that it seems obvious, and depending on my mood, I either opt for pattern, or don't give a flying fig. :)

Lilmesican

This is from a trip to Hawaii. I wear the wrap over Tommy. It blends with my swimsuit, folks don't notice, and I'm more comfortable.

Puppyluv56

I agree. I always tend to put a solid bottom and a top in hold prints and also ruffles. Hides more than the outline of the pouch! Lol one pieces are tough on a non-Ostomate, much less is that need to get to things in a hurry! 

infinitycastle52777

I recently asked this same question. There were a lot of good answers and I hope you get some good answers too. I went with a swimsuit that is a top made of swimsuit material and a bottom that is like biker shorts but made for swimming. The top covers my bag but I also bought a swim wrap. It was a lot of money, the one I got, but I can't wait to try it. If you go to Amazon.com and enter: SIIL Ostomy Belt you should find the belt if you are interested. The suit I got is actually called Surfing Swimwear. It's a 2 piece.

Lee