Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,175 members

What is the best thing (or things) to wear in the swimming pool

Posted by Scotland44, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:18 pm

I know I can't wear a regular swim suit over the ostomy bag, but what can I wear that is comfortable, and doesn't look too bulky around my waist?  I have tried swim shorts with t-shirts but the t-shirts tend to blow up around the top of my torso with the movement of the water. Any ideas women who have been swimming with the bag would be much appreciated.

Hazel.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi Hazel,

i wear my normal swimwear from before surgery. One piece and two pieces. I guess it all depends on your stoma placement. Mine is below my waist so my normal bottoms cover everything except the big scar on my chest that goes down below my belly button. And my belly button has been relocated a little to the side so I surely don't want all that showing. I swim in the ocean and have a pool in my back yard so am in the water all summer! If I am in a group , I do use a barrier strip for added protection, just in case but have never had a mishap.

Puppyluv

Last edited by Puppyluv56 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by looking forward, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:16 pm

hi i could not figure it out either so rather than looking so bad i just don't go swimming lol

Reply by Padfoot, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Hazel, I wear the same bathing suits as before my surgery too. I prefer a two piece, just for convenience if I have to use the bathroom. If you're concerned about the outline of your ostomy showing, try to find a longer top with something to distract the eye, like a ruffle or large pattern in the fabric. Check out Ostomy Secrets; they have some bottoms with ruffles, but really, you can find something suitable just about anywhere. Like Puppy, I spend the summer at the cottage, so I'm either in the lake, or our pool several times a day, without problems caused by swimming. I like to have several bathing suits because I hate putting a wet one back on! If there is something specific about swimming that you want help with, let us know, and we'll do our best.

Laurie

Reply by Padfoot, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:24 pm
looking forward wrote:

hi i could not figure it out either so rather than looking so bad i just don't go swimming lol

Hey - life is too short to give up the things you love! Let us know what the problem is, and we'll try to help. We women are just too self conscious about how we look in a bathing suit! 

Laurie

Reply by Maried, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:58 pm

I wear a high waisted two piece and do not eat a lot of food that day.. as a cover up I wear board shorts... in case my bag starts to blow up.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm

I always wear a ruffled in the front top that come over my bottoms. The bottoms are usually short looking swim suit or a skirt! Both work well. Even if my pouch fills, it is pretty much unnoticeable.

Pup

JMC
Reply by JMC, on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:37 pm

I agree with everything these lovely ladies have already posted, I just wear the same type of bathers I wore pre-surgery.  Some of the swimwear from ostomy companies is quite expensive and is basically the same design you can buy at retail outlets for half the price.

Anything with ruching or overlays/skirts or patterned prints that can camouflage the shape of the bag are good, rather than just one colour (examples below). 

I wear a one piece because for me they are more comfortable (and cover a multitude of sins!) but I can see the advantage of a high waisted two-piece and some of those 50's style bathing suits are just lush!  

Reply by anyark, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 am

I wear regular one-piece bathing suits.  I like patterned ones, so people see the pattern and not the bag.  Never had a problem and folks common my pretty suits.

Reply by collegeprof, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:52 am

I agree with everything said above.  I also found those suits with the "tummy control" feature tend to hold everying in place as well.

Reply by vanestag, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:12 am
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Hazel,

i wear my normal swimwear from before surgery. One piece and two pieces. I guess it all depends on your stoma placement. Mine is below my waist so my normal bottoms cover everything except the big scar on my chest that goes down below my belly button. And my belly button has been relocated a little to the side so I surely don't want all that showing. I swim in the ocean and have a pool in my back yard so am in the water all summer! If I am in a group , I do use a barrier strip for added protection, just in case but have never had a mishap.

Puppyluv

Reply by moonshine, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:13 am

I wear a high waisted golf short/skirt - I keep underwear on to flatten out the bag. Since the skort has shorts underneith it keeps the bag down as well - I have a right sided ileostomy - always keep the bag empty to help keep it flat

Reply by vanestag, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:19 am
vanestag wrote:
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Hazel,

Puppyluv

I just use my suit from become surgery. Of course, it's a one piece and had a belly control feature which holds my bag tight to my belly. Completely unnoticeable!

Reply by Ottie, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi. I too never went swimming then I tried a bathing suit with rouching & a very busy pattern.  Now I don't feel self conscious at all and am enjoying the water again  

Reply by Adelaide, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:38 pm

HAZEL..I HAVE AN ILESTOMY. AND I WEAR  A REGULAR ONE PIECE SWIMSUIT...WHAT I DID DO, WAS BUY A BUSY FLORAL PATTERN, AND THE OSTOMY IS NOT  NOTICEABLE .

bUT, i DO ALSO WEAR A PAIR OF MY NORMAL "KNICKERS" AS WELL...JUST FOR SUPPORT...STAY SAFE  (aDELAIDE...WHO IS ACTUALLY FROM sYDNEY)

Reply by Lost_Treasure, on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi Hazel... I swam a kilometre a day in a 33º heated hydrotherapy pool for ten years (until spinal and multiple shoulder and other surgeries stopped me) I always wore Tankinis, which successfully held my pouch in place and covered a multitude of other lumps and bumps. Enjoy the exercise, I envy you!

Reply by Sunny1978, on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 am

They also make some 2 piece suits that are a little flowy on the top, kinda loose. I bought a couple of those and wore them for a while but sometimes the top would end up coming up a little bit and I'd have to keep tugging it down again. But I personally wear a regular suit, no problem. It holds my bag in place so it's not being tugged all over the place. I chose a suit with a pattern so the little bump of my bag isn't really noticable at all. Just depends on what you are comfortable with. I tried the tank top and shorts method too, and I totally understand the shirt moving all over and ending up full of water floating away from my body. That was more awkward and anxiety provoking than wearing a regular suit. Definitely experiment with different swim suits and don't give up swimming because of this!! You will find something that works, something that you feel comfortable in!

Reply by sooziq, on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:25 pm

I have been swimming for 42 years with an ilestomy in just a ladies 2 peice or 1 peice suit.I always use an older belt with a swimsuit.Never had any problems at all.Been in pools,Gulf of Mexico and Pacific ocean all fine.Go for it.

Reply by spyke5, on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Also you might check out   www.stealthbelt.com  They have some made of neoprene for water. I wear one daily because I like wearing just tshirts and it makes everythig look smoother. Check out youtube as well, many people have vidieos on what they do. Besides reading eveything posted here I watch alot of youtube to get my answers.  I have only had my Ostomy since April 1 so not a pro at this but not one person has ever said anything or really payed much attention to me. We worry way to much about what we think others may be thinking when they are not even seeing us.  Mark

Reply by Scotland44, on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Thank you for all your mesages in answer to my email re what to wear for swimming.  I  solved the problem by rummaging in my towel cupboard and finding a swim suit I boght ages ago and hardly wore.  It has folded strechy material across the front and has a bold pattern all over the suit.  I have worn it now and it is perfect (or almost!).

Reply by petgirl, on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Hazel,

Puppyluv

Same, I have not changed my swimwear. The only thing I have noticed, if you are concious about such things ( I don't always care/am bothered) Patterns hide the outine of the pouch better. Having said that, it's likely just because I know it's there that it seems obvious, and depending on my mood, I either opt for pattern, or don;t give a flying fig.  :)

Reply by Lilmesican, on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:03 am

This is from a trip to Hawaii. I wear the wrap over Tommy. It blends with my swimsuit folks don't notice and I'm more comfortable. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:42 pm
petgirl wrote:
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Hazel,

Puppyluv

Same, I have not changed my swimwear. The only thing I have noticed, if you are concious about such things ( I don't always care/am bothered) Patterns hide the outine of the pouch better. Having said that, it's likely just because I know it's there that it seems obvious, and depending on my mood, I either opt for pattern, or don;t give a flying fig.  :)

I agree. I always tend to but a solid bottom and a top in hold prints and also ruffles. Hides more than the outline of the pouch! Lol one pieces are tough on a non Ostomate much less is that need to get to things in a hurry! 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.