Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,175 members

Constipation, engorged stoma, pink skin around most of stoma.

Posted by Asiam, on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Has anyone experienced awful constipation and stoma problem.  I've had colostomy 4 yrs.  Now I have a

Hernia on left side quite swollen.  I'm on miralax 1 or 2 x a day.  But past Saturday I could tell less output...so I added more miralax,  prune juice,  very little food, it took until Sunday in the

Middle of the night FINALLY get relief...but stoma was still swollen red. Skin pink/red around most of stoma. I didn't have problems like this until now and one other time 5 months ago.  I am having a colonoscopy through stoma and a look inside the 9" of rectom in two weeks. 

Has anyone had this or anything like it.

I'm on entiveo for fistula in rectom possibly croans.   But diverticulitis was the reason/ problem for the colostomy. 

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences  if anyone has had this kind of experience..Thank you for reading.

Asiam.

Reply by Padfoot, on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Asiam, how did things get resolved 5 months ago? Did you do something to resolve it? Is it possible to do it again? Your situation sounds rather complicated. I am really glad you are going for a colonoscopy soon. Best to consult with a professional. Good luck, and please let us know how things go with your appointment. Your experience might be helpful to someone else on this site. Take good care.

Laurie

Reply by Asiam, on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 pm
Padfoot wrote:

Asiam, how did things get resolved 5 months ago? Did you do something to resolve it? Is it possible to do it again? Your situation sounds rather complicated. I am really glad you are going for a colonoscopy soon. Best to consult with a professional. Good luck, and please let us know how things go with your appointment. Your experience might be helpful to someone else on this site. Take good care.

Laurie

5 months ago I had a irrigation in the hospital for the constipation.  I had not been on a regular treatment for constipation thats when the DR. PUT me on miralax 

I or more times per day depending on things..  so I've hoped things would be fine.  But I  guess not.  I think either the hernia or entiveo might be the problem. 

For 3 1/2 yrs. No problems.  Until the last 5 months. 

Its been a difficult time.  Thank you for your reply i appreciate what you said.   Its so frustrating.

Take care, Stay well. 😊

Reply by lovely, on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:18 pm

It sounds like your problem is worse now than before, so something may have changed that needs treatment more than a laxative. Glad you are getting it checked out. Please keep us informed best wishes and stay safe.

Reply by delgrl525, on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi Asiam,  I've had chronic constipation most of my adult life.  After the colostomy it seemed that things were working OK and I wasn't taking any laxative but that changed pretty quickly and I ended up in the ER with bowel obstructions twice caused by constipation.  I now take laxatives twice daily or I'm in trouble.  If I get constipated my stoma gets very big and swollen looking like you describe.  Your situation sounds different as it has come on suddenly after years of things working normally.  Hopefully the colonoscopy will tell them something.  Please let us know how it goes.  All the best.

Terry

Reply by Asiam, on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:21 pm
delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Asiam,  I've had chronic constipation most of my adult life.  After the colostomy it seemed that things were working OK and I wasn't taking any laxative but that changed pretty quickly and I ended up in the ER with bowel obstructions twice caused by constipation.  I now take laxatives twice daily or I'm in trouble.  If I get constipated my stoma gets very big and swollen looking like you describe.  Your situation sounds different as it has come on suddenly after years of things working normally.  Hopefully the colonoscopy will tell them something.  Please let us know how it goes.  All the best.

Terry

Thank you for the information, just helps to know someone has had a similar experience. 

I'll be glad to get this figured out. 

Be well.

Judie 

Reply by Asiam, on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:23 pm
lovely wrote:

It sounds like your problem is worse now than before, so something may have changed that needs treatment more than a laxative. Glad you are getting it checked out. Please keep us informed best wishes and stay safe.

Thank you, appreciate your nice message. 

Take care.

Judie

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.