Spicy Foods: Can Ostomates Handle the Heat?

Replies
Views
The Bag

Hey all you O-mate vets...wondering if folks like us can handle spicy foods, not to the point of sweating through your shorts and all that comes from that type of food but a decent tingle in the gullet. Does it bother the stomy? I've had mild stuff and all went well, so the next step is a little more heat. Anybody do nuts, I'm told in moderation. I don't want to take the chance yet? It'll be one tear 3-30-10 and I've eaten just about everything in front of me. The seafood diet, I see it, I eat it.

ROCK ON FELLOW OSTOMATES!!

Gus

G'day Bag

You like hot spicy food then I say go for it. I love my curries and make a really mean chili dish. I might get gassy but it doesn't affect the stoma at all. So eat to your heart's content.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

My favourite food is Indian (the hotter the beef vindaloo the better!!!) and I can eat all spicy/hot foods without a problem, but I don't have really big meals and think that could be the secret, as boring as it sounds everything in moderation works for me...then at least the taste buds are satisfied.
Life is way too short to be giving up the good things...like food!
I eat nuts, popcorn and everything that supposedly causes blockages in ileos.
Bag, I am also a fan of the seafood diet!
I don't eat to live...I live to eat!

Cheers....

weewee

Yup, same as Gus said. I have no problem with spices, and oh boy, do I like it! Yes, get real gassy. And if Waffer lets it get to my skin, then the burn can happen when it sits on your skin. Oh, and smell also. Enjoy what you can eat since there is a lot some of us can't eat.

lottagelady

I wish you lot would stop talking about nice food - for the last 6 weeks all my food has tasted of used cigarette ends! Oh, I need a nice curry ..... xx

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gus

Yanno Rach, you really have to stop putting ciggy butts in your food. Nicotine is not a herb or spice, lmao... Seriously though, as Jo said, all in moderation. Enjoy little bites so you get the intense flavors, and if you overdo it, then suffer in silence reminiscing about the lovely meal that caused the discomfort. And it's true, if you eat a really hot chili and your bags leak, it burns the shit out of your skin, lmao. But man, it's worth it.

Remember "NICOTINE IS NOT A HERB OR SPICE LOL". Sorry Rach, pinch

TexasGirl

Jalapenos, habanero, and salsa go well on anything! I have a colostomy, and if I ever seem to have an issue of constipation, this is a good cure. And it's not as painful being eliminated through the ostomy as it was when I had a rectum!

Gus

Ahn, I remember the burning ring of fire. Sigh, lol.

vulcanBMk2

The bottom fell out of my world onceā€”or was it the other way round????

Gus

If the world fell out ya bottom, no wonder you needed an ostomy lmao. Think it's the former, either way ya needed an ostomy mate hahaha.