Looking for Colorectal Doctor in PA

Replies
Views
Gemini16

To anyone living in Pennsylvania,

Can anyone in Pennsylvania recommend a fantastic colorectal doctor?

The doctor that did my surgery keeps recommending I go to a gastro doctor, and the gastro doctors recommend I go to a colorectal doctor. . . Ugh! I've been to a couple colorectal doctors and they all said your situation is more complex than what any colorectal doctor in the area can handle. . . they recommended I go to a clinic, like Cleveland Clinic.

I would like to go to a doctor in PA, but haven't had luck finding one that will help me with my situation.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply!

Gemini

HS73&78

Hello Gemini!

I am also from PA. I recently had a colostomy a little over a month ago. I'm not sure where in PA you are. I am about 45 mins south of Pittsburgh. My doctor/surgeon is fantastic and this is his specialty. If you are in this area, let me know and I will share information. Best of luck to you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi Gemini.  There's geography and insurance involved.  Maybe even more.  Hopefully HS73&78 can help.  

I found a great pair of colo-rectal surgeons here in New Jersey.  So many medical professionals think of an ostomy as the "end of the world" and try to avoid it until there's no alternative.  My surgeons, radiation therapist, oncologists, nurses and technicians all made me feel like there would be some adjusting to do but my life would be better. They were right; life is way better.  You need to find the right team to treat YOU along with your medical problem.  

Please let us know your choice.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gemini16

I am quite far away, but willing to travel for any kind of help. I drove all the way to Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to get help and a diagnosis because no doctor around where I lived (in NJ) and now live (in PA) was helping me.

Colorectal surgeons around me are telling me that my problem is more complex than they can handle, and that I should go to Cleveland Clinic. South of Pittsburgh is definitely closer =)

Your recommendation would be appreciated!

Thanks for replying.

Gemini

PillowGrabber

I also live in PA. Erie. I have a fantastic doctor/surgeon here in Erie. I had my large intestine removed because of Crohn's Disease in 2013.

He has seen me through any problems that I have had (very few).

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
David0430

Hi Gemini,

Have you thought of coming down to Hopkins here in Baltimore? They have wonderful doctors here and since it's a teaching hospital, they are always up to date on the latest techniques and medications.

Let me know if you are interested as I know a lot of doctors there and a few ostomy nurses. I might be able to get some contact info for you.

Dave

Gemini16

Dave, 

Thank you so much for your reply!  I would really like more information, and any contacts you may have.  I am willing to travel, for any help I can get.  

I greatly appreciate your reply.

Look forward to your response,

Gemini

AdamC

Dr. Tracy Hull at the Cleveland Clinic main campus. One of the best colorectal surgeons in the US, hands down.

AdamC

Dr. Tracy Hull at the Cleveland Clinic main campus. One of the best colorectal surgeons in the US, hands down.

Gemini16

Thank you, Adam! A colorectal surgeon in my area actually recommended her. Good to know others agree she's awesome at what she does.

AdamC

She performed my total colectomy in 1997 and removed my entire colon through a 4" incision. That is a remarkable feat. It's been 24 years since the surgery and I haven't had the first problem with my stoma.

warrior

This forum is a good place to get referrals and advice, hands down. But depending on your insurance and how far you're willing to drive, keep in mind that whoever you do pick should be within a certain amount of miles and affiliated with the local hospital. When and if you ever get an attack or need medical advice, it helps to have the local doctor on hand. Having a doctor in NYC or Ohio or Tennessee will not do you much good, just saying. When the time comes and there is an emergency, who you gonna call? It's a huge relief to find a doctor who "gets it". I think all of us can agree on that. Answers can be found out of state, the question is, doctors caring for you may not be concerned consulting far away doctors. You have to be your advocate. You have to know your shit when you meet these doctors and test them, challenge them. It takes time. Just be patient. -Warrior

Davek

All my docs are at Penn. I've been going there since I was 16. They did my J pouch 30 years ago. 7 years ago, they did my ileostomy when my pouch failed. Incredible people. Damn, I can't remember his last name. Cary something. Look up GI surgeons at Penn. Great guy. At Penn, there is never one doc who makes a decision. They all make it together from the head of the dept all the way down.

Davek

All my docs are at Penn. I've been going there since I was 16. They did my J pouch 30 years ago. 7 years ago, they did my ileostomy when my pouch failed. Incredible people. Damn, I can't remember his last name. Cary something. Look up GI surgeons at Penn. Great guy. At Penn, there is never one doc who makes a decision. They all make it together from the head of the dept all the way down.

shawnb573241

Dr. James Celabrezzi at UPMC Hospital on Babcock Blvd. about 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh did my surgery. He is well known and highly recommended.