Hollister's Soap-Free Stoma Cleaning Recommendation

Replies
Views
Ritz

I'll have to work in that as I prefer showering totally (without my bag) naked. This way I know I'm super clean. I have a liver...but no gall bladder. I am like a leaky faucet! I am taking in more electrolytes and feel much better. I get up at 1am to dump. I need to find that perfect time of day to eat.

JamesArnod

I was told by my nurse 12 years ago not to use any soap because it would cause the appliance to not stick well. I have never used soap and have no problem. I also have a rather large (fist size) hernia. I have never used adhesive remover. I have had the odd failure due to sweating while working on a hot day. I find that I need to use a belt at least the first day after changing out my appliance. This assures a very good bond. I use a Hollister two-part system for my eurostoma.

Here is a wee hint..... I always shower and dry off before I loosen the surrounding outer tape on the stoma and then quickly rip off the inner tape. It is probably less painful to do it that way and for sure leaves very little residue glue behind. I then just rub the area down with a baby face cloth. Heat the appliance with a hairdryer, dry myself with a folded paper towel and the hairdryer, being sure I am totally dry. Then apply the warmed appliance. This works very well. I might have one or two failures per year.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Yup. I'm new to my colostomy life and every stoma nurse I've met has advised me no soap. So I use paper towel and warm water to make sure I've gotten the barrier remover juice off and whatever else is lurking. I think the no soap rule is just another way to help us get a secure base stuck on there.