Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,1K + members

Purchase ostomy supplies

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:28 pm

I'm having trouble purchasing ostomy supplies. I have Medicare, But Parthenon now wants all $$ up front & won't bill Medicare. Is there a more user friendly company you use to get your supplies from? I'd sure like to know who other folks are using. Had had ostomy since 1986, and don't need these kinds of problems now. I'm in Denver metro. Thanks BUNCHES!

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:17 pm

I get mine from byramhealthcare.com.  I have Medicare plus a supplemental and I never have to advance anything and I never get a bill.  You'll have to tell them when you order that you have some number of days less than ten left of supplies inorder to comply with Medicare rules.  I've been getting Hollister supplies thru them for years.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:13 pm

I have a local small drug store where I order my supplies. I can order one day and they can get them the next day. I have medicare and a suplment policey. I just got a statment from my Dr that I needed them and took it to the store they take care of all payments. I don't have to pay anything. Do you order from a company? You may want to check on some pharmacy to see if they can order for you. Best wishes and stay safe

 

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:47 pm

I have had some issues lately as well. I Have a BCBS as primary and Medicare as secondary and they want to charge me, up front, for the out of pocket from my primary and do not consider the Medicare payment. I told them to stick it. They need to get their billing practices straight! I know insurance very well and I should not have any OOP except Medicare deductible in Jan. If you hAve Medicare amd a supplement, you never have any issues but with private ins. Or just Medicare,  it is a pain in the butt. I have enough supplies to get me through till I am 65 and am eligible for a supplemental plan! 
Puppyluv

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:29 pm

should you get tired of jumping thru hoops to meet the rules you can buy supplies on e-bay for between 25 to 50 cents on the dollar. im my situation i can normally buy what i use for less than my copay and not have to deal with the BS. the thing is to buy a large amount and resupply way before you run out as they arent always on there. just a thought

Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:23 pm
mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:

should you get tired of jumping thru hoops to meet the rules you can buy supplies on e-bay for between 25 to 50 cents on the dollar. im my situation i can normally buy what i use for less than my copay and not have to deal with the BS. the thing is to buy a large amount and resupply way before you run out as they arent always on there. just a thought

Only bad this about that is I already pay over $1000 a month for private coverage and Medicare. They are suppose to cover my cost of all supplies. 
Pup

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 pm
HenryM wrote:

I get mine from byramhealthcare.com.  I have Medicare plus a supplemental and I never have to advance anything and I never get a bill.  You'll have to tell them when you order that you have some number of days less than ten left of supplies inorder to comply with Medicare rules.  I've been getting Hollister supplies thru them for years.


which supplemental?  Mine only covers 80%.  Thanks. Fred

I'm on Medicare as well.

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 pm
HenryM wrote:

I get mine from byramhealthcare.com.  I have Medicare plus a supplemental and I never have to advance anything and I never get a bill.  You'll have to tell them when you order that you have some number of days less than ten left of supplies inorder to comply with Medicare rules.  I've been getting Hollister supplies thru them for years.


which supplemental?  Mine only covers 80%.  Thanks. Fred

I'm on Medicare as well.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi Fred,

You must be 65 years or older in order to have a supplemental plan in addition to traditional Medicare. 

there are many many plans out there. I found the AARP plan to be probably the most predominant in my oncology practice but also trans American life continental life and there are hundreds more. The plan that the supplement pays the Medicare deductible as well as the 20% out-of-pocket is no longer available. But that's just 180 something dollars a year. Once that is mad at the beginning of the year it will pay 100% of what Medicare does not pay and almost all instances. It is currently open enrollment so you can add that to your plan now. Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call and insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

It is currently open enrollment so you can add that to your plan now and it will become affective on January 1.  Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call and insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

 

Puppyluv

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:20 am

Byram takes medicare

Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Hi Fred,

You must be 65 years or older in order to have a supplemental plan in addition to traditional Medicare. 

there are many many plans out there. I found the AARP plan to be probably the most predominant in my oncology practice but also trans American life continental life and there are hundreds more. The plan that the supplement pays the Medicare deductible as well as the 20% out-of-pocket is no longer available. But that's just 180 something dollars a year. Once that is mad at the beginning of the year it will pay 100% of what Medicare does not pay and almost all instances. It is currently open enrollment so you can add that to your plan now. Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call and insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

It is currently open enrollment so you can add that to your plan now and it will become affective on January 1.  Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call and insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

 

Puppyluvh 

i found that Blue Cross blue shield Garnet with a 0 cost was my best bet.  Even tho I must pay 20% it usually comes to 60 - 70 Dollars a month which is cheaper than any plan.

Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm
Fred383 wrote:

i found that Blue Cross blue shield Garnet with a 0 cost was my best bet.  Even tho I must pay 20% it usually comes to 60 - 70 Dollars a month which is cheaper than any plan.


Blue Cross Blue Shield has always been great plans at any level but usually more expensive  I have it a my primary Insurance through my husbands work. When I turn 64 in Sept., I will drop that and get the a supplemental plan! Big savings for me!  

Everything depends  on your health needs. A supplemental plan,(medigap) will also pay that 20% for hospital and any other service covers by Medicare. I always recommended one for my patients. Relieves all stress from medical bills. Certainly better than an Advantage plan that has a $6700 annual out of pocket. An advantage for those under 65 that do not qualify for the supplemental plans.  The Advantage plans sometime have Rx coverage at no extra cost that is a benefit. The cost of the supplemental plan should be no more $1800 a year. Lots of choices! 
pup

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 9    
9 visitors