Need Ostomy Supply Alternatives?

Replies
Views
joanmarie

I'm having trouble purchasing ostomy supplies. I have Medicare, but Parthenon now wants all up front and won't bill Medicare. Is there a more user-friendly company you use to get your supplies from? I'd sure like to know who other folks are using. I've had an ostomy since 1986 and don't need these kinds of problems now. I'm in the Denver metro. Thanks bunches!

HenryM

I get mine from byramhealthcare.com.  I have Medicare plus a supplemental and I never have to advance anything and I never get a bill.  You'll have to tell them when you order that you have some number of days less than ten left of supplies inorder to comply with Medicare rules.  I've been getting Hollister supplies thru them for years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I have a local small drug store where I order my supplies. I can order one day and they can get them the next day. I have Medicare and a supplement policy. I just got a statement from my doctor that I needed them and took it to the store. They take care of all payments. I don't have to pay anything. Do you order from a company? You may want to check on some pharmacies to see if they can order for you. Best wishes and stay safe.

Puppyluv56

I have had some issues lately as well. I have a BCBS as primary and Medicare as secondary and they want to charge me, up front, for the out-of-pocket from my primary and do not consider the Medicare payment. I told them to stick it. They need to get their billing practices straight! I know insurance very well and I should not have any OOP except Medicare deductible in Jan. If you have Medicare and a supplement, you never have any issues but with private insurance or just Medicare, it is a pain in the butt. I have enough supplies to get me through till I am 65 and am eligible for a supplemental plan!
Puppyluv

mild_mannered_super_hero

Should you get tired of jumping through hoops to meet the rules, you can buy supplies on eBay for between 25 to 50 cents on the dollar. In my situation, I can normally buy what I use for less than my copay and not have to deal with the BS. The thing is to buy a large amount and resupply way before you run out as they aren't always on there. Just a thought.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Only bad thing about that is I already pay over $1000 a month for private coverage and Medicare. They are supposed to cover my cost of all supplies.  
Pup

Fred383

Which supplemental?  Mine only covers 80.  Thanks. Fred

I'm on Medicare as well.

Fred383

Which supplemental?  Mine only covers 80.  Thanks. Fred

I'm on Medicare as well.

Puppyluv56

Hi Fred,

You must be 65 years or older in order to have a supplemental plan in addition to traditional Medicare.

There are many plans out there. I found the AARP plan to be probably the most predominant in my oncology practice, but also Trans American Life, Continental Life, and there are hundreds more. The plan that the supplement pays the Medicare deductible as well as the 20 out-of-pocket is no longer available. But that's just $180 something dollars a year. Once that is paid at the beginning of the year, it will pay 100% of what Medicare does not pay in almost all instances. It is currently open enrollment, so you can add that to your plan now. Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call an insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans; some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

It is currently open enrollment, so you can add that to your plan now and it will become effective on January 1. Don't wait too long because open enrollment will not last that long. You could call an insurance broker and get the cost from each of the individual plans; some are cheaper than others. The coverage is basically all the same though. Choose what works best for you.

Puppyluv

royalrosepdx

Byram takes Medicare

Fred383

I found that Blue Cross Blue Shield Garnet with a $0 cost was my best bet. Even though I must pay $20, it usually comes to $60 - $70 dollars a month, which is cheaper than any plan.

Puppyluv56

Blue Cross Blue Shield has always been great plans at any level but usually more expensive. I have it as my primary insurance through my husband's work. When I turn 64 in Sept., I will drop that and get a supplemental plan! Big savings for me! 

Everything depends on your health needs. A supplemental plan (medigap) will also pay that 20% for hospital and any other service covered by Medicare. I always recommended one for my patients. Relieves all stress from medical bills. Certainly better than an Advantage plan that has a $6700 annual out-of-pocket. An advantage for those under 65 that do not qualify for the supplemental plans.  The Advantage plans sometimes have Rx coverage at no extra cost, which is a benefit. The cost of the supplemental plan should be no more than $1800 a year. Lots of choices! 
pup

Teebull

I have Medicare and supplemental. I had my colostomy surgery on 10/12/22, so I've been getting supplies since then. Lo and behold, I just got a big bill for November supplies, so I'm assuming I'll be getting one for December and January also. Let's just say I'm not happy. As a new ostomate, they advise a lot of products, especially if you're having issues with leaks, etc., as I have. And having to change products has me with products I'm just getting billed for 3 months later, which I can no longer even use. My phone call to them won't be a happy one. They should let you know what your insurance won't cover and what your copay will be before they send you tons of stuff you don't always use. When you're new to all this, you're just trying to figure out this "new normal" and don't know what you might need or not. Now, how the heck to recoup all this money is beyond me. Just a vent here.