Opinions on Hollister Convex Barrier Rings?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Howdy Osto-folks,

I was conversing with the nice gal at Hollister, as I'm looking for a barrier that's bigger than the one I currently use. My stoma is morphing into something unrecognizable and I need a bigger hole. She checked what was available and told me I'm currently using the biggest convex barrier they have...........so she suggested I switch to a flat barrier (that does come in a bigger size) and use a CONVEX barrier ring instead of the flat ring I now use! Guess it's one of those six of one and half a dozen of another things. But I don't think I've ever seen one of those convex rings, and the catalog pic is pretty worthless.......so I was wondering if anybody uses one and can tell me if they work or not? Or if there's anything else I needed to know about them.

Thanks,

Bob

Ritz

I use the Hollister convex bag with a flat barrier ring. Not the Brava moldable ring...the protective ring. It shields the moisture much better.

I have tried the convex ring with a flat bag type...no...no...no. Didn't work. You can cut the flat ring and stretch it. My stoma is not reducing in size like they said it would...instead it's growing. They'll send you a sample to try, but when I did all I had was a complete mess. Yuck!
Good luck...let me know how it works for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,436 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Yo Loran Doone..........I think you're saying you use a convex barrier with a flat ring, right? I never heard of a convex bag. If so, yeah, that's what I'm using now. The problem with that their convex barrier's biggest size hole is 2". And my weirdo-stoma is 2 1/4" on its long side....so I have to squish it up to get it in the hole. And since one side of the long side is at skin level......and that's the end my "stuff" comes out of.....it's not an ideal solution. It's working so far, but like yours my stoma seems to be growing too. So the Hollister gal said the only thing they had larger was a flat barrier, but that they had an oval, convex barrier ring to go with it. So.....shut the front door Bob.....and deal with it!

Here's the link to Hollister's catalog page showing this convex oval barrier ring. Is this what you say you tried?

https://www.hollister.com/en/products/ostomy-care-products/ostomy-accessories/barrier-rings-and-strips/adapt-ceraring-convex-barrier-rings

Regards,

Bob

Ritz

Bob... that's exactly what I tried with a flat wafer bag. It didn't work for me. But each one is different, so try it. Ya got nothin' to lose.

w30bob

Hi Ritz,

Cool....thanks. I've got samples on the way......so we'll see. No reason not to try.....I sort of like doing laundry!

;0)

Bob

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ritz

I highly recommend an underpad under your bedsheet where you sleep. Also, I ended up with a new mattress!

w30bob

Hi Crackers!

No worries (God, I hate that expression!).....I've always used a mattress protector.....not the cloth type that don't work......the vinyl type!   I also don't sleep much.......so if it leaks......I'll hopefully catch it quick and avoid too much of a mess.   I guess with all the new "foam" mattresses these days it's worse.....they cost a bunch and cannot be washed.   Probably not the best choice for ostomates unless you sleep on a big garbage bag........which is basically what a vinyl mattress cover is!    

Lator Gator,

Bob

Ritz

Hey Bob... ask your supplier, I use Comfort Medical if your insurance will cover the extra-large paper with plastic backing disposable pads like they use in the hospital. They supply me with them and they work great and are not sweaty hot like the vinyl covers... just an FYI.
...Ritz 

Two bags

Hi Bob, I use a Hollister Convex Barrier Ring on my urostomy, works great for me, flat rings always caused leakage. Been using them for years now. They swell up when in contact with liquid, which makes an even better seal. Definitely worth a try for you. I think they work as well as a convex wafer.

w30bob

Thanks, Two...........they should be here any day now.......so I'll give them a shot.   Don't see any immediate reason why they wouldn't work for me, but I have been known to sometimes overlook the obvious!

Thanks,

Bob

GraphX12

Hey Bob,
Don't know if this would be any help to you or not.
If I understand you correctly, you need to fit the barrier ring around your stoma but the hole in the ring is not big enough to fit around it? Correct?

I do not use a convex anything, but this is how I was taught by the nurses at the Mayo Clinic following my 1st surgery:

1. Cut flange hole to fit stoma (obviously).

2. Cut the barrier ring into 3rds.
*My stoma has changed size many times through the course of my 4 surgeries so I currently cut it in half.

3. Roll the portion of the ring that will be used into a ball (save the other portion(s) for the next change). The warmth of the friction makes it pliable – I usually use a hairdryer to help warm it.

4. Roll the ball into a spaghetti-like "worm" trying to approximate the circumference of the flange hole you just cut.

5. Lay the "worm" along the perimeter of the flange hole, trying to keep it slightly to the outside of the hole's edge. You do not want to see the putty ring peeking through the hole when viewing from the bag-mounting side of the flange.

6. Press the flange/barrier ring combo onto your body and then remove the paper backing strips from the adhesive part of the "Band-Aid" portion to the flange. (I am kind of anal - pun intended - about getting a good seal so after placing the flange/barrier ring combo, but prior to attaching the bag, I use a Q-tip to burnish down the area where the barrier ring is.

7. Attach bag and warm the area (I use my hand) for a minute or so.

I know you stated that size is an issue so, if needed, I assume you could "roll" as many full size (uncut) barrier rings together as you would need. The stuff is like Play Dough.

This is the only technique I have used in the 7+ years I have had a Barbie butt and I have only had 1 leak, and that was because I got too aggressive using water to flush my bag.

Hope you can use this info!
Doug

***Sorry for the formatting of this post. I have tried everything to try to get it formatted correctly. I hope it isn't too confusing.

w30bob

Hi GraphX12,

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, formatting on here sucks....ooooops....I can't say that....sorry Admin, I meant to say.......leaves a lot to be desired but is otherwise perfect! What you posted was really informative, but for me the problem is the size of the hole I have to cut in the barrier, not shaping the ring. The Hollister barriers have an outer hole boundary made of hard plastic. Right now when I cut the hole for my stoma in the barrier, my scissor runs into that hard plastic border on both ends of the long ellipse shape I need to cut.....so I need a bigger barrier! But I'm already using the largest barrier that Hollister makes in convex. So what Hollister is sending is a larger flat barrier instead of my current concave one.....and a convex barrier ring to replace my current flat ring. So the convexity will now be in the ring, not the barrier......the opposite of what it currently is. Sort of six of one and half a dozen of another.

I've found that simply stretching the ring gets it big enough to properly fit around the hole I cut......that ring material is really some pretty good stuff! I have done what you do in the past..... but so far it does stretch nicely for what I do. Thanks for the info mp for the info!

Regards,

Bob

GraphX12

Gotcha Bob, I understand now.

I know exactly what you mean. Prior to one of my surgeries, I was reaching the boundaries too - and started getting a little panicked - but a rebuild solved the problem. Let us know how things work out.

Doug

w30bob

Progress? Not sure yet. This morning I installed the flat barrier and convex ring from Hollister. I'm impressed with the ring for sure. The flat barrier also fits better, as it doesn't protrude from my gut as much as the convex one does... so should hide better under my shirt. The ring though, has my attention. Yeah, it's convex, meaning thicker at the hole and then thins out as you move outbound from the hole. But it's also just thicker than the flat ring. That gives me more options, and I don't have to stretch it out (which creates thin sections) like I do the flat ring. So if the flat barrier doesn't work out... I'll probably still stick with the convex ring just to have the extra ring material to work with. I'll let you know how this works out.

Regards,

Bob

w30bob

Progress? No. Had a blowout this afternoon working in the garage. Can't change it until the morning......so I'm pissed. I didn't even get a single day out of this new barrier and ring. It went on well, fit good.....I thought I had a winner. Guess I jinxed myself. Ok..........back to the drawing board tomorrow morning. UGH. I might have to look at that thin skin covering stuff some of you are using. I'll search posts for the names of them. One step forward...............two steps back. Isn't that what Neil Armstrong said when he first stepped on the moon? Neil.........I feel ya brother!

Later,

Bob

Ritz

Oh geez Bob.... That sucks. I gotta help investigate for ya... Get that one off, before you erode all your skin. 

w30bob

Hi Ritz,

Changed it this morning......I remember the exact instant it happened too. I was having a lot of output (because I like to eat) and something not fully chewed probably was blocking my hole a bit......and a bunch of liquid squirted out and was directed by the chunk of food in my hole to shoot sideways under the barrier ring instead of up and over. So this morning I flattened the convex ring a bit on that side and am trying it again. I think I can make something work with the flat barrier.........but those are famous last words on here. Thanks for the concern.........you rock!!

Later,

Bob

Misty123

Hi, I just read your question and I don't know too much about the convex barrier ring because I had just started using them about 4 days ago and I love them. I use them with a flat 2 piece. It lasts longer than the regular barrier rings. My issue was that I have an oval stoma and the stoma gets a little tipsy. So the flat barrier rings weren't working for me because they would expand too much and they would start turtle necking my stoma. By the time it would hit the second day, my stoma was completely covered by the barrier ring. So I started using the convex barrier rings and thank God they work so well they don't even break up and become a mush. At least so far, it has been working like a charm. If you were interested in them, why don't you just call Hollister and ask for samples and they will send them free of charge to you. I didn't know that, unfortunately. I went on Amazon and I bought a box of 10 for fifty dollars. They also sell just one ring for about 11.00 dollars. It never hurts to try. I was told that the convex barrier rings are good because they are made for extended wear. I hope I was some help to you and have a blessed day!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy! I personally use the Coloplast rings. They come in various sizes but are also moldable. I have a cute little stoma and use a 2.7.