Mixing brands of skin barriers and pouches: Is it okay?

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Hi all, I have never used a skin barrier. I think that's what they are called - the thing that goes around your stoma and sits between you and the appliance. With my ileo, it is recommended, but I forgot to ask: is mixing brands a problem? I have two different brands of skin barrier - one Coloplast and the other Eakin - and two different brands of pouch - Hollister and Coloplast. Does it matter if I use, say, the Coloplast barrier with the Hollister pouch? Will it still work as well? I need to buy more barriers and would also appreciate advice on which are the best. Many thanks!

Terry

Bill

Hello Terry. 

It's a good question that you pose, but I am not sure that there is an easy/correct answer. Probably the manufacturers would say that their products should be kept together as this is how they were designed and developed. However, I have used a range of skin barrier sprays and they have all seemed much the same as each other and are interchangeable. Quite honestly, if I had to pay for them, I wouldn't bother, and that is perhaps an indication of how effective I think they are. As usual with these things, it is best to try them out for yourself, and if they work, then use them. If not, move on and try something else.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Daanders

No, it doesn't matter. I used a leaking seal and had to switch to a silicone one.

xnine

I have tried different ones and recorded my wear time of each. Products used are Brava, Adapt, Siltac (the silicone ones), and Eaken. I get from 1 to 14 days. Right now I find Eaken the best. I have always used Hollister bags. Make a log and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Daanders

I had a reaction to Eakin seals after a year and got switched to silicone

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ritz

No difference. I use a Hollister appliance with a Coloplast ring seal

HenryM

I'm hesitant to shill for a particular product, but...what the hell.  I use the Hollister CeraPlus skin barrier that is advertised here on the website and find it terrific.  I get the pouches with it.  I don't know if different manufacturer's prorducts are interchangable, i.e, whether a Coloplast bag fits onto a Hollister skin barrier, etc.  But the Hollister I use is very lightweight, easy on/off, has built on tape for security, and is very thin.  I never have to add tape or other security.  I don't have to wear a belt tho' it has clips for one if you want to use one. 

Ritz

I'm afraid not to wear a belt on my appliances. My ileo fills up so very quickly and becomes heavy. I may be a poopie princess, but I can do without the embarrassment of falling off.

Daanders

I sleep with my belt on. Only take it off to shower. And I forgot that one time.

Ritz

Me too...

*Jackkau

Experiment (as I did) and see what works best for you.

paulaAZ

It is fine to mix products, at least for me it has been. I use Hollister bag and flange, Perfect Choice barrier rings and Sure Seal over the flange. I think it was said above ... just experiment and see what works best for you.

I was very fortunate to find my perfect fit of supplies about 6 months in -- I have stayed with that and change my appliance about once a week. In fact, I have to put a reminder on my calendar so I will remember to change everything ... if not, I will go sometimes 2 weeks without having to change my appliance.

I am fortunate that my ileostomy behaves very well, in fact I think he (Sheldon) thinks he is a colostomy sometimes LOL

Paula

Puppyluv56

Some brand products work better with like brands. That is intentional so you use more of their products. But, we are all different and our skin does not always like all the brands. They use different materials and additives that can give us problems. Sometimes you just have to see what works for you. Get samples for the products you feel you need to use from each of the major manufacturers. They will send enough for you to evaluate them properly! I have mixed and matched since the beginning! Even once I settled into the products that worked well for me, I still tried new stuff. You just never know! Our ostomy world is a continuous work in progress!
Good luck!
Puppyluv

TomFTW

Hi Terry. We do whatever we need to do to make things work. Something that works for you might not work for someone else. The main issue is that the products are able to fit together. An ostomy nurse is a great resource because they are familiar with products from all the manufacturers. That can save you a lot of trial and error. I hope that helps! Tom

TerryLT

Hi pup, I had a feeling there might be some of that going on, an attempt to keep consumers using their brand exclusively. I am going to request samples of a bunch of them, thanks for the advice!

Terry

TerryLT

Thanks Paula,   A whole week between changes with an ileo is amazing, good for you.    

Terry

TerryLT

Hi Tom, I have a great ostomy nurse and I value her immensely, however, I don't want to "wear out my welcome" as I feel like I bug her enough as it is! That is why this forum is so great. Thanks for the advice!

Terry