Ileoscopy: Anesthesia, Recovery, and Results

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

I had asked if a sedative was needed for an ileoscopy a week or so ago and got a variety of answers. Well, I had my scoping the other day and here's what I can tell ya. After I got there early for my procedure, the first thing they did was give me a COVID test. If I didn't pass, I was to be sent home. With a lab right there, it only took like 8 minutes to get results, and I was uninfected.....so onward I went. After a few failed attempts to get an IV in my arm by a fairly new and rather timid young nurse, the assistant to the anesthesiologist came by to ask me questions and saw her struggling, and simply took over. The IV was in in about 5 seconds. Amazing how that works when you know what you're doing! So while I had her ear, I asked her about why I was getting anesthesia. She told me it varied by hospital and by doctor, as well as the patient's previous history with anesthesia. So basically, the better you tolerate it....the more you get. They really are focused on making the whole procedure as pain-free as possible. And it really was. I was completely out, and recovery was fast once I came around. And normally, after the procedure, the doc comes by and explains how it went and what the results were.....but you're still a bit groggy, and you forget what they said by the time you get home. But now they give you written results, with pics, so when you get home and forget what was said.....you can just read the report! Wow, what a novel concept, and much appreciated Georgetown!! So overall, it was quick, pain-free, and they didn't even have to remove my barrier (but they did reinstall my bag wrong, and had I not checked it, I would have had a real mess in the car on the long road trip home). So the answer to the question of do you get anesthesia for a front-butt scoping......is it depends. Just figured someone might want to know.

Regards,

Bob

xnine

You were not driving? Glad things went well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

The last time I was scoped was a year after my resection surgery and stoma moved from right to left, and don't get me started about rookies and IVs but I digress, and yeah the pics from inside were surprising how detailed showing scarring from an old ulcer but generally good and healthy tissue.

Past Member

Pleased to hear the scope went without any problems and hope they gave you the all clear. Surprised they sedated you, but like you say, it's up to the doctor and hospital. The scope is completely pain-free for ileostomies without sedation. I've had about 20 or more and due for another one soon.

Puppyluv56

Awesome Bob!

My doctor has never said anything about any kind of scope.
Maybe because I never had any colon issues. Seems I am due for my 10-year colonoscopy. Have scans every 4 months so I guess they are comfortable with those being negative.
Worth asking the question though! Now I know what to expect! Thanks! Glad it all turned out well for you.

Pup

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Bob.

Just to say that, although this does not apply to me (yet), the information is much appreciated.

Best wishes

Bill

Ritz

So glad it went well and that all is okay, Bob.

iMacG5

Hey Bob, thanks for sharing your experience.  I tried to avoid general anesthesia as much as possible mostly to show how brave and tough I was.  Those days are gone; not because I'm weaker but maybe just a bit wiser.  Just a bit.  Now I feel like I need to be sedated if I drive past a hospital.  

Mike

w30bob

That's funny, Mike! I'm not big on sedation, but I figure I'm just lucky enough to not have any problems with anesthesia. Talking to the folks at the hospital, it seems there are lots of folks that do have issues. I like having options!!

Regards,

Bob

Newbie Dana

As a woman, I have had two births, plus all the messes with the ostomy and subsequent scopes both through the ostomy and through what was left of the colon. And all I can say is, "Give me drugs! Stoicism is for the birds!"

Past Member

Thanks for all comments. I have my first ileoscopy next Wed for inflammatory markers in stool sample and pain and liquid diarrhea for two months. Have had my ileostomy for 34 years. My mind is at rest now for the procedure. They are doing it without anesthesia.

looking forward

I have an ileostomy and have not been back to the doctor since. Nothing was ever said to me about check-ups, etc. Why is that?

w30bob

Hi M,

I failed to mention in my post that they were also scoping my ass to check on the third of a colon I still have to just make sure nothing was growing in there I hadn't planted. So the anesthesia was more for that than the ileo. I'm sure I wouldn't have needed anesthesia if it was just the ileo. What I found very interesting is that for all the prep people endure for a colonoscopy, or even an ileo, they don't routinely scope the whole thing. In my experience they only scope the first couple feet and then call it quits. I think it's a union rule or something. o)

Regards,

Bob

Superme

Hey Bob! My question is, what were you trying to achieve? I mean, a colonoscopy is done to check your prostate, so is an ileoscopy for the same reason?

w30bob

Hi Supreme,

You got your wires crossed there, Kimosabe. Colonoscopy is using a flexible scope to view and take biopsies of anything in your large intestine (i.e., colon), and the lower part of your small intestine. An ileoscopy is basically the same thing but instead of sticking the scope up your ass, they stick it in your stoma and check out your small bowel, north of your front-ass. You can't see the prostate from inside your intestine last I checked, so a colonoscopy cannot diagnose prostate cancer. Your doc can feel the prostate when he's got your ass on the table for a colonoscopy... but detection of prostate problems is done with a manual rectal exam or with a PSA blood test. If they then find anything abnormal, they need to do more testing to determine what the heck is going on.

Hi-Ho Silver... Away!

;0)

Superme

LMAO, I mean LMSO! You are correct, Tonto! I needed a good kick in the rear. Please not from Silver!

Past Member

Hi Bob

They said I'll be able to watch on the screen so sort of looking forward to that. I'm concerned with the messiness my ileo will be producing but I suppose they are used to that. At least I'll be able to get a fresh bag on the right way afterwards.

Your post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm not at all nervous now. So thanks for sharing.

w30bob

Hi M,

If you have a decent length of small bowel, they'll probably make you take a prep.   In my case, I have so little, I ate breakfast that morning and without any prep.   I was squeaky clean by exam time at 2:00pm.   I had a hard time convincing the staff prepping me that I was clean, as they will refuse anyone who hasn't properly prepped, but I finally won, and I was clean inside.   But no reason to get nervous, it's easy-peasy for just the ileo.    

It's funny because I brought ostomy supplies with me figuring they'd need to pull off my barrier and walked the nurse through exactly how to cut the barrier to fit, put the ring on the barrier, and all the details.   When I came to, I had my original barrier on, so I got dressed and was getting ready to walk out when I decided to just check the bag.   Sure enough, they didn't reinstall my bag properly, and had I not fixed it, I would have had a real mess on my hands in my ride's car on the way home.   Otherwise, it went off without a hitch.   I've watched the monitors during a couple colonoscopies.....it is pretty cool.   Would have much rather been the guy pushing in the scope as opposed to the guy receiving it.........but it is what it is.    

You'll do great.......have no worries!

Bob

warrior

Hey stranger. Don't faint. I am glad to hear your front butt scope went well. I am late to this party, sorry. First, why were they in there to begin with? Did they find any mice? Being you live on a farm, and nights are cold and lonely... Theme from Tom and Jerry plays.

Warrior

w30bob

Wow... I did faint when I saw your post... and just came to! What day is it? Am I dead? No... still got my shitbag... so not dead. This must be real! How the hell are you, brother?

I got scoped because I wanted to be sure I was still disease-free, and did a CT scan 2 years ago... so this year it was scope time. I was supposed to do it last February, but COVID hit and I postponed. I've adjusted my Humira dose down to maintenance level, so wanted to make sure that was right too. And I miss having scopes shoved in my holes... so why not?

Good to hear from you, buddy!

Regards,

Bob

warrior

Good to hear from you, too, man. Been awhile. Glad you're keeping yourself healthy and safe. Didn't know you were on Humira. I tried that. Wasn't too good. And Selaria? Something like that. Glad to report I am off that shit and just old schooling it with prednisone (my lowest) and something called dapsone. A brand new drug for me. The dap helps keep me at a lowered dosage of pred, which I was never able to achieve. My adrenal gland is in a coma since being on pred for 35 years. Am trying to stabilize, get it jump-started. Seeing an endocrinologist for options.. I still need butt surgery.. A ken butt is my future due to damn leakage from the stump... But with the dapsone, the leakage is minimal. It's just,... Ya never know when you're gonna pee through your ass. i.e cough, sneeze, bend, sit... You know, by pee I mean leak mucus. Ewww, right? It's gotta come out. So that is next but wanna see how stable I can get while I lower pred.. Last summer, April was in a world of shit with infections. Scared me so much I drew up last will and testament.. My pics in my profile show how ugly it got. 4 times hospitalized.. Glad that is over. PG (poly derma ganggrusome), cellulitis, SMRA. What a trip.. Always on my mind though. I will be dropping in here from time to time. Check on you guys.. Goodness, the membership has grown here, all new faces. And all new issues. Pretty damn cool sharing, learning. And possibly hooking up..

By the way, did you get the hot pink mini skirt and heels I sent you for Christmas? (Snicker) Later, my transplanted Jersey boy... --Warrior

iMacG5

Hey Warrior, welcome back.  I felt like a big chunk of Jersey was missing.

Now stay here, please.

Mike

warrior

Thanks Mike. Good to see you out here.   I felt I was missing something not being here too. I hope I can stick around much more these days.   Keep warm and safe.   --Warrior