Improved Stoma Pouch Technique: Say Goodbye to Sore Skin!

Replies
Views
OstoMorgan

Hi members of the Realm.

Thought I would share with you all my method of attaching the one-piece pouch which I have found reduces, if not stops, the dreaded sore skin around our stomas. Had my operation six months back, so I have been experimenting with things.

I use Coloplast supplies for my equipment, but I'm sure you can adjust the principle for your own supplier.

I used to just use a single pouch cut to my stoma size. Just clean, peel off backing, and then stick on... job done. Found that my output would seep under the seal and start to irritate my skin. Probably a standard issue with various solutions, but as you all know... it's a real pain.

Please see photos to show more clearly, but basically involves cutting and shaping a seal ring into a cone shape that is also a real snug fit around your stoma. Then instead of cutting the hole in the SenSura Mio pouch at the exact size of your stoma, this is cut larger to accommodate the raised seal ring around your stoma.

This builds a better overall seal, slightly proud of your skin, and gives a better barrier around the base of your stoma. This is the sore zone that needs the most protection.

Hope this makes sense, and maybe you all do something similar. Thought I would share anyway, and if you need further explanation, please just message. I also change my pouch first thing in the morning after a pouch-free shower when output is minimal if not zero.

Also cut and prepare seal and bag beforehand in the bedroom and then leave in a steamy bathroom for 10 minutes while showering as this makes them tacky and warmer so they adhere to the skin better.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes to each and every one of you.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Excellent idea!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lily17

Hi, Morgan!

This idea is terrific! Talk about thinking outside of the... bag. :) It's always cool to see what innovations people create to solve an issue. I've never thought about something like this, but I may have to give it a try!

Thanks so much for sharing, and make it an amazing day! :)

Lily17

Bill

Hello Ostomorgan.

Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea. I could not get on very well with the seal rings , but that might be because my pottery skills and shaping hands are not what they ever were.

However, for others like me who are useless at this type of 'sculpture', it might pay to ask for some samples of stoma collars. The ones I found worked fairly well were made by Salts Healthcare  and were called 'DERMACOL stoma collars'. They come in different sizes from  17mm - right up to 41 mm so you would need to know the size of your stoma when ordering. 

see website www.salts.co.uk 

Best wishes

Bill

OstoMorgan

Hello Bill.

Many thanks for your reply. I did not realize there were products available for molding. We are all constantly learning, I guess, about products, ideas, methods, and it is this site that passes all this great useful information on.

My seal rings, ColoPlast Brava protective seals, are very moldable and it is more the reshaping into a cone than a disk that works well.

We are not given a Stoma Encyclopedia when we leave the hospital. We do have this great site and friendly experienced people like yourself.

Let's not just mold our ring seals, but also mold our futures and friendships to help us all have a better, more manageable life.

Most kind regards.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
OstoMorgan

Ostomates.

I have been asked to explain in a little more detail my method. Particularly the making and sizing of the cone.

Thank you for all your replies and interest.

I get my supplies from Coloplast, and the seal is a Brava Protective Seal. I have included some more pictures for reference and you can hopefully read all the names and numbers on the products.

The box these are in is...

Remove the plastic covers from each side of the seal and then cut a section out of it..

You can now reshape the seal into a cone shape by pulling the outside in more than the inside to raise the middle before joining it again. This may be a bit fiddly for some but try not to fiddle and mess with it too much as it will lose its stickiness.

I have got used to the sizes required for my stoma. I aim for about 20mm inside diameter, 45mm outside diameter. The inside is more important as this has to be a real snug fit around your stoma. My stoma is 25mm diameter so about 20mm makes a really good seal. Reseal the ends and mold together firmly.

Cut the pouch hole or opening halfway between these, inner and outer seal dimensions.

Place the ring over your stoma and firm it down. Now place your pouch over the seal and push and firm it all down well.

Hope all this makes a bit more sense. Please be careful. I would recommend you change your pouch maybe a bit more often while experimenting to make sure it's all OK under there.

Let me know how you get on.

Stay safe.

Past Member
Reply to OstoMorgan

Thanks so much!