Wet Macular Degeneration Post Colectomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
true_jes

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had vision issues after ostomy or due to Crohn's or colitis?

I developed wet macular degeneration within about 8 months of total colectomy and have recently started the Avastin eye shots. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jessica

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Hi Jes.

I had colitis then ileostomy/colectomy four years ago.

I have worn glasses for fifteen years now and at my last eye test three weeks ago, the optometrist said I have no issues and my eyes are "very good for my age," whatever that was supposed to mean...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Lily17

Hi, Jes.

I had my ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis about 3 1/2 years ago. No new eye issues since then.

Do you know if wet macular degeneration is a hereditary condition?

I hope you find helpful information for your situation.

Lily17

warrior

Like Lily 17 said, I am in the same boat. But aging eyes are one thing.. hereditary another. My sister, pushing 73 now, has this.. WMD..(weapons of mass destruction?) Oh no, not that, sorry.. that wet molecular stuff.. She goes for those eye injections too. Not a fun day for her. So I do understand your situation.. But IBD does normally affect a lot of organs.. I know this as I've had it for 35 years. Episcleritis? (sp) is associated with IBD.. So yes, some eye diseases are in fact related to IBD.. Be careful about diagnosis. The wrong one can have serious effects on you later in life. My mom had Macular Degeneration, now my sister has it.. No history of IBD with them. Go figure.

---Warrior

ron in mich

Hi all, I've had my ileo for 30 some years now and have worn glasses for the last 20 years. Yesterday, I had an eye exam and found out I have cataracts and need surgery. I'm not sure if having an ostomy has anything to do with that.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister