Yellow Stool Color - Possible Liver Issue?

Replies
Views
Qrious

Hello everyone,

I realize that having a discussion about stool color is not very elevated but I'm posting here so that it might help others.

I have an ileostomy for about 5 weeks now. I've noticed that the output is often very yellow (think American mustard), suggesting a high concentration of bilirubin in my stools. Some darker food will make it more brown.

I don't eat curry that much. I really don't think that yellow pigments come from something I eat.

I don't seem to have jaundice, my eyes are not yellow so the bilirubin blood level seems to be ok (although I have never tested it). My concern is that I might have some sort of liver problem (bilirubin is produced in the liver). Recently been diagnosed and operated for a colorectal cancer, I fear that the cancer has spread to the liver and that yellow stools might be a symptom.

However, I know that bilirubin is usually transformed in the colon, which is now bypassed. So maybe what I see is "normal". I understand also that some people might have higher production of bilirubin without being a reason for concern.

Before bothering my doctor with it, anybody else seen something similar?

HenryM

Qrious:  I can only provide a simplistic, non-medical reply.  I've had an ileostomy my entire adult life.  My stool color has always been effected by what I eat.  It runs the gamut from dark to light regularly, as there's not too much that I don't eat.  I have had mustard-colored output, tho' I can't think now what food preceded it.  With your complicated medical history, as you relate, my reply here probably isn't too helpful and certainly not to be considered determinative. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Qrious,

Yellow stool isn't typically a symptom of high bilirubin. It's a sign of lack of bile salts......which is also related to the liver. While on TPN after being short gutted my bilirubin went through the roof, along with my other liver numbers. My output never got yellow. The thing you said that made my eyes bulge was "before bothering your doctor....". The only reason your doctor exists is to take care of you and the other patients. You're not "bothering" your doc. If you let things get worse, your doc's gonna be pissed because you didn't "bother" him sooner, and now his job is a lot more difficult. Never forget that doctors are there to see to your well-being. They have folks on call if they don't want to be bothered, but you are entitled to their attention 24/7 unless they tell you otherwise. Go get that checked out ASAP.......you don't want to mess with your liver. It's one of the few things you literally can't live without.

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

I agree with Bob, please call and make an appointment with your doctor. Have him do labs to include a LFT as well. Not to scare you, but don't play around with this and in the small chance this has spread to your liver, I would request a PET scan. May have to do a CT scan first per insurance requirements. A resection for a small liver issue is way better than a big one. May be a simple solution, but either way, it would relieve your worries!
Puppyluv

Qrious

Thanks for your answers. Yes, of course, I'm seeing my oncologist Monday. Don't worry, I will bother him with that.

The previous CT scans were normal. I did a PET scan Thursday. I will ask for a liver function blood test, based on if it was not already included in last week's blood test. Plan B: ask my family doctor.

Bottom line, I understand that yellow output is not normal and I will see with the doctor if this is alarming.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Sounds as if you have a handle on it and have a head start on the test that will confirm or deny most serious issues! nbsp
I am sure if your oncologist did your labs, a LFT was included.

It could be as simple as a stomach virus or maybe an infection. Your white blood count would be elevated if it is an infection and that will be included in your routine labs as well. So I am guessing you will be getting the PET scan and lab results when you go to the doctor on Monday! Should solve your mystery. Hoping for the best results! nbsp
Pup

MBT

Yes to all the above about liver function tests, CTs, and PET scans!

Did you have any upper small bowel resected? If so, that can lead to a more yellow to orange-colored ileostomy output.

Qrious

No, my small bowel has not been resected.

Past Member

I've had an ileostomy for 12+ years and almost every morning my output is yellow/orange and odourless (and sometimes frothy), I have always assumed it was just bile.

It's similar in consistency to what I used to cough and vomit up every morning prior to surgery (had Crohn's disease for several years) so I just figured at least now the bile is heading in the right direction.

I have normal blood tests every year and never had any problems with liver function (or anything else for that matter).

By all means have full blood work done to put your mind at ease.

Qrious

Follow up:

My PET scan is good. Nothing special.

Blood test (including liver function): normal

Doctor reaction: don't worry

Having yellow output is not necessarily alarming.

Puppyluv56

So glad to hear that all tests turned out well! The relief of knowing this is so worth it! 
Pup

277papa

Permanent ileostomy, my output has always been dark green and thick. The past 10 days, I have been having watery output and it's the same color and consistency. The doctor said no NSAIDs or pain meds because my blood work shows kidney function is off. I'm extremely dehydrated and feeling worse today, with pain and vomiting. I do not want to go to the hospital unless it's an emergency. I have had 21 open abdominal surgeries due to Crohn's, so I can take the pain. I just don't know if I should go to the ER. Has anyone else heard of this?

Past Member

I am the same and my stoma nurse says it's after spending all night without eating and the gut still working, she suggested a few plain (rich tea) biscuits before bed and I find that helps but even better for me is a slice of plain white bread