No output for 24 hours

Replies
Views
estrogen

I usually have to empty my pouch at least 3 times a day. I have very liquid output. I have had no output for 24 hours. Is this something I should be worried about?

Puppyluv56

Hi Estrogen,

Have you changed your diet. There are many foods that will thicken your output to the point of not producing as often. Have you started a new medication?
How long have you had your ostomy? I know the first year of mine, my output habits were forever changing. When that happened before Instarted irrigating , a few days of no output was normal. Sometimes, I think my colon just says enough, goes on strike to show me who is the real boss.
But seriously, Do you have any pain in your stomach? Is there any gas passing? ;Keep a close eye on all of this. There are some foods that will cause a blockage especially if not chewed really well.
If this continues and the signs point to, and you are concerned about a blockage, you may want to drink one of the old favorites for helping that along. Prune juice, you know that routine. The same things you would do for constipation pre Ostomy. If it does continue, an over the counter stool softener may help. If you begin to have pain such as cramps, and it does not pass, a trip to the ER, since it is the weekend, may be In order. Give it a chance to correct itself.
This is something most of us have on occasion. Some are worse than others.
As you can see, there are many reasons for not having output. I would not worry too much about 24 hours. I irrigate and have no output for two days between irrigation's.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.
Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SLL + JCL

Hi Estrogen!

While this could be a sign of a blockage, it could also be a sign of dehydration. You may not be drinking enough, and you became constipated. Call your GI and/or PCP to get advice. Keep in contact with them until something passes. Be mindful of the amount, color, and frequency in which you pass and inform your doctor. Sometimes there's an underlying cause (that can be treated!!), but only found after additional testing.

Good luck to you!

estrogen

Thank you all for answering. Issue resolved and back to normal.

Puppyluv56

Glad to hear your issue is resolved! 
Pup

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister