As I said I my previous post, I wanted to chat about Irrigation with anyone whose experiences might clear up some things I am still a bit foggy on.
I have been looking into Irrigation for quite awhile now - I was cleared by my surgeon to try irrigation, I have read stuff here and a bit elsewhere on the web, watched the YouTube videos etc. - so what's holding me back?
Good question. I think from seeing that lots of you have had good success with this and have seen some significant lifestyle improvements in many cases, I am a bit afraid of trying it out and it not working for me. (Dumb attitude, I know, esp. considering I'm generally extremely optimistic about most things).
Anyways, some questions...
1) When you start irrigating how long does it normally take before things settle into a pattern, i.e. little to no output between irrigation sessions? (I think I've seen everything from 2 days to 6-8 weeks).
2) Is it really necessary to see an ostomy nurse to show how to do irrigation? (It's not like I have somebody assigned to me and if you do enough research, watch all the videos etc. then aren't you actually quite prepared)?
3) In that doing irrigation is like giving yourself enemas every day or two for an indefinite period of time is there any reason for concern that you are putting in all that water and like flushing out your intestines on such a regular and constant basis?
4) Are stoma caps the way to go, if possible, once your body has adjusted to the new pattern?
5) Are stoma PLUGS available for purchase in North America? (I don't see anything when I have searched for them).
6) Is the need to insert a finger into your stoma to determine what angle that the cone goes in at just when you first start irrigating? (I saw reference to this in some video I watched).
7) Gas? (I did already get into this with some on this site on another post, and got some great suggestions). But, in short, just wondering how irrigation might improve things once I started with irrigation.
8) If you do irrigation for years and years, is there any issue going back to using purchase, if you were needing to?
Thx in advance for any thoughts...