Can I safely eat potato skins with an ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses whether it is safe to consume potato skins with an ileostomy and shares experiences and advice from others in the community.
Ritz

I need guidance from another ileostomy person, please.
I know I cannot eat apple peels, cucumber peels, pepper skins... but can I eat and pass potato skins?
I'm afraid to try as I don't want/need a blockage. I have no large intestine at all.

Thanks, Ritz

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Hi Ritz

I have to peel my potatoes, but some with ileostomy on here say they can eat anything. I had one blockage and never want to chance another.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

Ritz:  I have more issues with potatoes (which I dearly love) than potato skins.   Potato thickens me up; nothing bad, just thicker than usual.  I do eat skins, just not often b/c I avoid potatoes.  The skins have never caused me problems, tho' sometimes I end up spitting out a bit of skin residue that's not gone down with the potato.  I also eat sweet peppers often, including the skin, w/o a problem.  I think the key is stuff like this is moderation.  Stay well.  HenryM

w30bob

Ritzer,

You sort of answered your own question... if other 'skins' give you trouble... potatoes should be no different. I don't usually eat the skins, but haven't had a problem with them when I did. My issue is with unchewed potatoes... like french fries. If I don't chew any potatoes to mush... they come out intact, and if there's enough of them it's not a fun time. You'll also probably find your digestion is better in the morning, getting worse as the day goes on. I can eat almost anything when I get up in the morning, but need to continually chew better and better as the day goes on.

If you have a real hard-on to eat potato skins... try just one and see what happens. You should know by now how long your transit time is from mouth to bag... so just keep an eye out when it's time. I hope it works for ya!!!!!

Regards,

Bob

Caz67

Hi Ritz

I have an ileostomy and I eat potatoes with the skin on them. I must admit, sometimes if I haven't chewed long enough, it does tend to cause a bit of a blockage. Be warned, when it does come out when you are in the middle of changing the bag, it's like a bullet being shot. Lol, sorry, too much info, eh. Take care for now XX

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi all, the only potato skins I eat are on baby reds. They don't break down, but they do pass through my stoma. It's the same with tomatoes.

Ritz

It's always the fear of trying something new in my gut. Perhaps I'll try mashed skins first and see if the tiny pieces pass.
Thanks for everyone's input, and I have hopes for my output!

Past Member

I can, but the only way for you to find out is to try it for yourself.

eddie

I have no problem with potato skins, the only thing my surgeon said I couldn't eat was popcorn but I can eat it with no problem, of all things spinach cooked and nuts give me a short-term blockage.

I have had my ileo for 20 years, wish you the best.

Eddie

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Ritz....potatoes have been my kick for over a month. Usually baked, at first I was scraping out of the skins and loading them up. Then went to 2/2 skin cut bite size loaded up again butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and cheese. Now I leave it in the skins, load it up, and chew chew etc... I am a 5 months permanent ileostomymate and have no problem passing potatoes or its skin...it does thicken up my output same as rice but no issues... chase your food with water it always helps....

Happy Sunday

Tracy

PS I don't do apple skins, but grapes go through no issues minus the seed same as cherries no stem or seeds etc