Using Mentos for Odor Control: Tips for Newbies

Replies
Views
Likafly

Hello, at my first teaching with the WOC nurse, she told me I could use Mentos for odor control. Do I just put it in the pouch, crush it, liquefy it? I'm a newbie to this. Thanks in advance! :-)

lovely

There have been a lot of questions about odor. Thanks for sharing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hmmm... I don't know... maybe you eat it! Regardless, I doubt Mentos would like to hear that people are using their mints for ostomy odor control. Just wouldn't make good ad copy. Here's hoping they don't find out!!

A quick Google search turned up a post on here from 2016 that said "drop some mints (Tic Tac or Altoids or Mentos) in the pouch"... so I guess you don't eat them. Huh. I would think carrying around a little bottle of mint extract might be a better solution... but I don't have odor issues. My crap isn't in me long enough to start fermenting and smelling. You can find McCormick Mint Extract in the baking aisle with the spices... or there's lots of online DIY mint extract recipes. Or... I guess you can just buy some stock in Mentos!! If this odor control thing catches on with Ostomates you could make some real stock dividends when the price soars!! I better go check their stock price now... just in case this becomes a "thing" with the Millennials.

;0)

Bob

Past Member

Hi there, I have a suggestion before you proceed with your odor experiment. Look up "Mentos and liquid" on YouTube. With some liquids (Coke maybe), the effect is explosive! Maybe it's the CO2. Check out the videos, very funny but not if it's your baggie that's exploding...literally. Either way, the videos are good for a laugh.

banshie3by5

I use Altos, but wouldn't use Mentos

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
MBT

Wound ostomy nurses do recommend mints such as Mentos and Tic-Tacs in pouches. I usually recommend Tic-Tacs or Altoids (smaller size) and placed in the pouch whole. They dissolve better.

w30bob

Ah.......so I'll use a Mentos then. This way if I'm out and about......and totally out of mints when I meet a 'hottie'........I know where one still is!    

Always have to have a 'Plan B'.    

;0)

Bob

kdel

I have tried mints and whatnot, but found they didn't really work. I use Hollister M9 deodorizer and it works very well.

Be careful with putting just any old liquid or extract in your pouch-- depending on what it is, it could irritate your skin or your stoma, or degrade the plastic of your bag and cause a leak.

Likafly

Thanks everyone, I'm new to this forum and not sure how to do replies but I will start trying the Mentos since I purchased a "butt load", LOL.  

Maried

I really think that nurses give you poor advice. Mint flavored, strong mints against the stoma are dangerous. They can burn the stoma. It's like having a mint sitting on the edge of your lips for hours.

Check out the odor solutions here. Some are pretty reasonable. There are also other brands of ostomy deodorant you can buy that do not cost as much as $10.00 for 8oz. This would last you about a month. Safe n' Simple Ostomy Appliance Deodorant is $13.33.

dixied10

Yes, I agree with using a whole Tic Tac in a pouch. Haven't tried it but I should and will.

Mggy34

Tic-tacs work great. Small and they dissolve and they're cheap. I only experience odor with the first empty of the day. So I only use them at night.

w30bob

Hi Likafly!

I think you meant to say "boat load", not "butt load".   Cuz whatever you do with your Mentos.........don't put 'em up your butt.   Really......it won't be good.   Really.   "Boat load".....don't give people on here ideas...........cuz there's always one in the crowd who'll try it.

;0)

Bob  

ivastoma

I've used a peppermint round candy before which worked very well...plus, they are cheap! If your insurance covers supplies, try Devco tablets. I'm now using Hollister M9 Odor Eliminator Drops which work VERY well.

Likafly

Oops, this newbie has much to learn. Too funny! Too funny to think someone might do that.  

MBT

Bob, the man with a plan!