Ostomy Reversal Timeline?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lemstar

I had my (emergency) transverse colostomy on December 1st, after a bout with diverticulitis wouldn't resolve, abscesses formed and ruptured. The doc said we need to wait 6-7 months, at least, before reversing it. I am wondering what others' experience is in regards to the timeline for reversal. It seems to me a good idea to wait until everything is healed and strong, yet it also seems like it would be good to do it while the body still remembers how to poop!
Anyone have any ideas/ input (it always feels strange using the word "input" here...lol..I certainly don't need any more output)? I would love to hear of others' experiences. On one hand, I can't wait, on the other, I cannot believe I have to have another surgery. I don't think the surgeon did any resection; I was too infected. He just put in drains and made the colostomy.
sigh..........
Thanks,
Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

janice

Personally, I think waiting longer is better but it probably depends on the reason for the ostomies in the first place. I waited 10 months before my reversal, then 6 months later I ended up with another bowel perforation and am now back to the ostomies again (10 months counting this time around).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lemstar

Janice--
Why did you have your colostomy to begin with? What was the perforation from? And why do you suppose there was another perforation?
Thanks!
Jayne

Txgirl

Jayne, I honestly believe, the longer the wait, the better.
I waited almost 6 months for my reversal. So far, so good, I think. LOL

The longer your colon has to heal from the original trauma, the better chance you have for a positive outcome with a reversal, as explained by my doc.

Welcome, Hannah

lemstar

Thanks all. Hannah, how are you doing? Why did you have a colostomy? Did they leave your stoma open to heal? (And thanks for the welcome. I have been doing very well since surgery, and am just now starting to really feel the emotional impact. Case in point: your welcome made me cry)
I see the surgeon at the end of April (5 months post-op), and maybe he will order some tests then.
I am trying to be patient and positive...
Jayne

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Txgirl
Hi jayne,
I too went through that emotional depression about 5 weeks into my healing from my 1st surgery. I think it was because as my body body healed, I now realized what I was dealing with emotionally and there it was.*BAM* right in my face! lol

I had a routine abdominal hysterectomy in October '09 and the doctor cut my colon. I had a fever of over 104, the most horrendous abdominal pain and they let me lie there like that for 77 hours before they would take action. I almost died, had a horrible E.Coli infection and raging sepsis. When they finally took me in again and opened me up my gut was full of "pus shit" the other doc's words. When I was stable enough and out of ICU, my boyfriend had me moved by ambulance to a wonderful hospital, Research Medical Center in Kansas City. The doctors there were appalled at what had happened and they treated me for my infection and the other stuff.
I had several hospitalizations and a few more surgeries to repair various things in the weeks that followed but I kept having these horrible abdominal pains and this odd drainage from my vagina. I assumed, I was healing from everything and I assumed the drainage was from the hysterectomy. I even saw the doc that put in my emergency colostomy from the shitty hospital and he said it was adhesions and I would have to deal with the pain until I got my reversal.
The drainage got so bad and foul smelling, I finally after many attempts , no one would treat me, they didn't wanna get sued, I found an amazing GYN Oncologist from Research. The pus was E.Coli and I also had a fistula from my anus to vagina from infection being left in so long. I had my reversal and fistula repair at the same time at Research on Feb 15th. Come to find out, the idiot doctor that installed my emergency colsotomy, ledt in the piece of colon that had been originally cut and it laid over my vaginal cuff which wasn't sewn properly. This formed a huge abdominal abscess and a fistula. The infection was so bad, they had to remove another 8 inches of my colon, half of my rectum and my one remainng ovary. So now I am in menopause at age 40. To complicate THIS...if I decide to do HRT, I have to be on blood thinners the rest of my life due to a blood clotting disorder I have. NICE! lmao
Sorry to make ths such a long, boring story but that's me in a nutshell!

It sucks and I feel like shit most days but I am so happy to be given another chance at life. I almost lost mine and I will do what it takes to stick around here!!!

Good luck to you and I hope you are on the mend and if it helps, I see a therepist to help me deal with the trauma I had. It's still very hard to discuss it but I am getting better slowly, with the support of these great peeps on this site and my kids and my fanstastic boyfriend and mom sister....and a little help from Zoloft! lol

I'm always here if ya wanna talk! shoot me an email. I'm no psycologist, just a nice Texas girl with good listening skills!!!

love ya, Hannah
C Cogan
Hello all of you, I felt sorry for myself until I read some of your stories. I had been suffering from diverticulitis for seven years and was treated with strong antibiotics. On August 20, 2009, I had an emergency colostomy in the middle of the night due to the fact that my large intestine closed down completely and they were afraid of rupture. My surgeon was a very young staff surgeon, yet it seems that he did a good job because I am digesting better than I had been for ten years. Due to my age (76), I am hesitant about doing the reattachment as I heal slowly and had a very bad case of C-Diff after the surgery from antibiotics. I will probably make my final decision by August. The strange thing is that I keep hearing that the "hook up surgery" is a "piece of cake." But from what I have read here at this wonderful website, it can be a problem. Good luck with your future medical treatment. Cynthia Cogan
junopete

c Cogan

I was told the same thing. The reversal is not near as big a deal as a resection or whatever.

Well, I had lots of stuff done. A couple of resections, a j pouch formed. Some other procedures.

They were a walk in the park compared to the reversal.

Rick.....

lemstar
Oh... That's discouraging...
junopete
Lemstar

Don't let it be discouraging. It's just the way it is or was with me.

I think I may have some internal scar issues going on.

Some of the problem seems to be the body getting opened up right up the middle seems to heal fast and well, I had 5 up the middle from groin to chest and one including chest. A person has to really look to see a scar, it is unbelievable. No soreness months later. It just healed right up every time.

On the reversal, they went in where the stoma is. I have a sideways scar about 3 inches long just to the left side of my naval. Yes, I know it's wrong for an illo, due to other issues they had to put it there. Anyway, that procedure took, the reversal, took a long time to heal, months and months. That was done in late Dec 2008. The darn scar still hurts when I press on it.
I don't have that "normal" feeling in that area.
From what I can tell, the stomach area muscles do not like being opened from side to side, rather than vertically.

You know your own body better than anyone, let it tell you what to do. You mentioned you were a slow healer, however, if you can still heal and your surgeon (presuming he is a good one) gives the procedure a good chance of success, well, weigh the pros and cons and act accordingly.

The best of luck to you, whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Rick.....
Past Member

Jayne:

I just had my reversal 2 weeks ago. I was evaluated at 7 months, and had the surgery at 9 months. My doctor felt strongly that I needed to be healthy enough to undergo another round of surgery, and I'm glad. The reversal surgery wasn't difficult but it still takes it out of you. My pooping habits came back easily (in a few days) and so far, so good.

Best of luck,
Marie

lemstar

Marie--
Thanks for your reply! Now that's encouraging....
Jayne

canaussie
Hi Jayne, I am a month into my reversal (ileostomy) and am having a tough time of it. I think my body just wants to take its sweet time, but it's tiring and emotionally draining (not to mention painful).
I had my emergency ostomy (as a result of a botched hysterectomy) for 5 months before going in for the reversal. I hated the bag and couldn't wait for the reversal. But, if I have to live like this for the rest of my life, I would take the bag back.
I think the timeline is a bit of a catch 22 - you need time to heal first and foremost, but I sometimes think the longer your bowels don't work, the longer recovery may be. I didn't have my ostomy for as long as many others, but my bowels got total amnesia.
It can be a very slow and long haul for some, but many others bounce back fairly quickly.
I wish you the best of luck. You are certainly in the right place to get some answers - everyone in this forum is very open, caring and supportive, and I love them all.
Lorraine.
Past Member
Hi, I had my ostomy reversed in about 4 months. I had gone in for a "routine" hernia repair which the doctor did by laparoscopy and he managed to cut my intestine. Two days later, I had a temp of almost 104, a hugely swollen belly and delirium. When they opened me up, they found tons of pus and bowel. I got my bag. After 4 months, the doctor said I was ready for a reversal. More surgery, more time spent healing (much more than when I got my bag). Now almost 7 months later, I am doing pretty well - though I still have quite a bit of pain at the incision. I also got pulmonary edema with my first surgery that still hurts when I cough or take a deep breath. I used a cane for the first couple of months and am now going for mile-long power walks... So, hang in there. Have your reversal when you and your doctor are comfortable about it. Be patient - healing does happen for some of us. My heart goes out to folks who are not able to have a reversal. This forum was a great help when I was in the midst of everything. Thanks to all...
Past Member

Hello
I lost 2/3 of my bowel in an accident and was given a stoma in an emergency.
Had the reversal done recently but not until 10 months after the first operation.
There is lots of evidence that when the abdomen gets operated on it needs time for recovery.
Good luck Caroline xxx

jenay

My intestine ruptured on Dec. 6th, had to have emergency surgery. My reversal is scheduled for March 14th. I am nervous because my family seems to think that I will just pop back to the old me. After reading these posts I am thinking that recovery time may be longer than they are anticipating. How long is the typical hospital stay after a reversal? My doctor only gives a range of 3 days to 3 weeks. He says we will talk more about it after the surgery. Any advice etc please send my way!! Thanks

krisfx

I got told 3 months, which steadily turned into 6. Got used to having my bag, my friends even gave it a name haha. I just had my reversal actually.