Spa advice needed: Massage with colostomy, sauna concerns?

Replies
Views
Past Member

This weekend I will be at a spa with my girlfriend. I have my first massage scheduled in 7 years with a colostomy. I was too shy before (at the ripe old age of 64!) to go. No longer! Also, I have access to anything in the spa: sauna, steam, etc. (COVID safe).

I am looking for any advice, etc. regarding these things. I seem to recall that the sauna (an old favorite of mine) isn't good for the adherence of the barrier. But I never have adherence problems, so I will "splurge" if I do. It's been a long 7 years, a long pandemic.
I assume the massage is no issue, but if anyone has advice or experiences to offer, I would so much appreciate it! TIA

Past Member

Hi, I am happy to say that I have actually indulged. I had the experience twice thanks to the love of my life, Kitty. We both had massages at a nice little place in Santa Cruz. I was pretty scared about the whole thing as I know first hand and lots of times how bad a leak can be. We both changed bags, nice new fresh ones taped all around the edges and a strip on the bottom to make sure the Velcro did not come loose (has done in the past). It was wonderful to get the massage. After that, we met and went to the hot tub together. I was afraid the hot water would cause disaster but not a single problem. Of course, in the hot tub, all we wore was our Baggies!! I won't go into it but suffice to say we both had a lot of fun in the bubbles, no, did not "contaminate" the water...LOL. We save the "contamination" for the shower which was in the hot tub room. It was so nice not to be worried about the other person and how she would feel about getting naked with me. We all have that little bit of bulge around the stoma area, other than that I'm quite slim. Kitty was always trying to fatten me up!! There was a small kind of tropical garden just outside the window which added to the nice atmosphere. When the other person also has an ostomy, it is such a pressure-free atmosphere and you can enjoy holding your partner close with nothing between you but your mutual plastic baggage. Eliminating the fear and the nervous tension is sooooo damn liberating.

The sauna was equally trouble-free.

Had no problems at all. I explained to the masseuse that I had the bag and she was so nice and sensitive about it I was totally at ease. We had many more visits planned but those plans were never to be fulfilled, just so happy we did it when we did.

Go for it, especially if your partner also has a baggie.

Love and hugs to all the gang out thereXX

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ritz

Liz411...

Happy relaxing fun day for you. I've been and geez, it felt so good. Just forget about your bag and enjoy. Always carry a change with you, but you'll be fine.
Ritz

Past Member

Thanks! Glad it was great! No, my girlfriend is just a friend without a bag! But a good friend.
I suspected the masseuse would be sensitive, hope mine will be. I'm going in the sauna, a favorite of mine, and we're going to enjoy the pool and the beach. But I really appreciate your response. Thanks again!

Past Member
Reply to Ritz

Thanks! Less dizzy at the spa than on a roller coaster (like I was!)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Thank you

lovely

I have been wanting to get a massage. I was kinda worried about laying on my stomach that long. Do you lay flat on the stomach.

Past Member

Hi Lovely, that was exactly where my fear. My experience laying flat face down spells "Pancake"!! My Baggie is on my right so I asked for a towel. I rolled it up like a tube and placed it under my right side, sort of around the baggie so there would not be completely flat on the table, allowing the air/gas to get into the bag. It can be worked out to prevent a blowout. The massage person should not push downward too much. Either way, keep an extra towel under your belly in case the worst happens. My massage was my first and I was a bit worried but it was great.

Go for it Lovely. Enjoy

Eamon

Past Member

Hi Lovely, that was exactly where my fear. My experience laying flat face down spells "Pancake"!! My Baggie is on my right so I asked for a towel. I rolled it up like a tube and placed it under my right side, sort of around the baggie so there would not be completely flat on the table, allowing the air/gas to get into the bag. It can be worked out to prevent a blowout. The massage person should not push downward too much. Either way, keep an extra towel under your belly in case the worst happens. My massage was my first and I was a bit worried but it was great.

Go for it Lovely. Enjoy

Eamon

Past Member
Reply to lovely

I intend to lie on my back, but I have a curvy spine, so tell folks to skip it!

Past Member

Thanks!

Riva

Remember to stay hydrated. Enjoy....

Past Member

Good point!

lovely
Reply to Anonymous

My back and down the back of my legs is where I need the service. I could not see how a massage laying on my back would help.

Past Member

I'll write more later but I was on my back and stomach. It was perfect, no issues!

ehhenebrbrh1234

Hey there! I came across your thread and just had to chime in with my 2 cents. It's awesome to hear that you're taking the plunge and getting your first massage in 7 years - you deserve it! As for the sauna and steam room, I've heard that they can sometimes affect the adherence of a colostomy barrier, but if that's not an issue for you, then go ahead and splurge! It's been a tough year for everyone, so treat yourself to whatever makes you feel good. I'm not an expert on this topic, but I did a quick search and found that the best medical spa in CA (https://rawbeautyaesthetics.com/) is the Woodland Hills Medical Spa. They offer a range of services, so maybe you can check them out for future reference. Also, just wanted to mention that I'm new on this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm using the right slang expressions, abbreviations, and acronyms. But I hope my advice helps and that you have an amazing time at the spa!