Recovery from Anus & Rectum Removal: What to Expect?

Replies
Views
Chapulin9

Hi. I am going to have my anus and rectum removal on 12/8 due to anal cancer. The surgery alone terrifies me and I am wondering how the recovery is going to look alike. I know that the pain and recovery varies from person to person. Sometimes I will get anxious about the surgery.

HenryM

It'll be tough, Chap, but then it'll be over, you'll get better, and your cancer will be with Jimmy Hoffa somewhere.  I had mine done in 1964 and I'm still here rockin' and rollin' so keep your mind right and you'll get through it.  Also, keep us posted so we know you're doing okay.  Stay well,   HenryM

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I had mine done at the end of March. Mine was done with robotics, so I have 5 little scars on my stomach and of course 1 big one where they stitched me closed. I was in the hospital for 5 days after surgery. They want you up and walking as soon as you can after surgery. I was in the surgery/recovery room for about 10 hours. I was up and walking the hallways a couple of hours after getting to my room. Your abdominal area will be very sore for quite a while as things heal, mine lasted about 2 weeks. Coughing/sneezing is brutal for a few days, try to hug a pillow if you have to do either as it helps steady your core area. Your 3 main goals while recovering....1) get up and walk. 2) keep your butt clean/dry. 3) learn how to change/clean your bag while you have nurses around you. I'm very fortunate that I have 1 of the best ostomy/wound nurses in the country teaching me stuff before I had surgery, my nurses in the hospital would empty or change my bag but they would make me do a little more each time, and my insurance provided a visiting nurse to come to my house for a month after I got home. So, I was pretty up to speed on the bag once I was on my own.
I was on pretty heavy narcotics for pain along with Tylenol while in the hospital. Take what they give you to keep your pain level down. I brought home the same medications for pain when I came home, but I only took the Tylenol.
I had some complications with my surgery that I won't get into unless you want me to, but overall the surgery itself wasn't horrible. Just remember it takes a long time for your body to heal. Sitting won't happen for a while, and your nurse/doctor should give you a cushion to use and instructions on how to sit when you do have to. So be ready to lay, stand, or walk.....you'll think not sitting isn't that big of an issue, it is and you'll have to adjust to it for a while. You can Google Barbiebutt surgery, and sites will pop up for you to search through. Any other questions, just ask, and I'll try to answer the best I can.

Chapulin9

Hi AlexT,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your surgery experience. It was very helpful.

Chapulin9
Reply to HenryM

Thanks so much, Henry.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Chapulin, find the softest pillow you can to sit on, and like others said, try to walk but avoid stairs. When mine was done thirty some years ago, I had surgery for UC which I was very sick and run down, so my healing time took some time. Good luck.

Chapulin9
Reply to ron in mich

Thanks so much.

lovely

Best wishes for the surgery and a speedy recovery.

Xlshrimp

An inflatable donut, made of thick rubber, works well and is available at pharmacies. Health and happiness.

AlexT
Reply to Xlshrimp

Actually, my ostomy/wound nurse and my surgeon both made sure I understand not to use a donut-type cushion. It puts too much stress on your stitches. They didn't even want me sitting on the toilet to empty my bag and gave me a little bucket to empty into and then empty that into the toilet. My surgeon didn't want me sitting any longer than it took for me to sit up to get out of bed.