Ring Barriers: Necessary? Do Moldable Flanges Work?

Replies
Views
Pinkie pooh

I'm confused by some of the posts I've read about the ring barriers. Do you really need one or not? I've always used one but reading some posts it sounds like some of you may not. What is the right answer? Also, moldable flanges, I used a barrier ring under one. I'm guessing you don't need one because it did not work well, so for those who use them, do they work well? I hate having to cut my flange to fit. Looking for the easiest way when changing.

xnine

I found a flange that fits, no cutting. There are lots of them out there, maybe one fits you. I use a ring to protect my skin. There are no gaps around my stoma, no exposed skin to get irritated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to xnine

Hi xnine.. My stoma is sorta oblong. All that I've seen are for round that would fit without cutting. I have a loop colostomy, I guess I should have said that from the start. Thank you for your response!

Bill

Hello Pinkie pooh.

(A great name by the way!)

I had loads of these sort of things supplied as samples when I first started with a stoma but although I gave them a try, none of them seemed appropriate for me. Eventually I decided to make my own flanges and attach the manufacturer's bags and stuff to those.  This DIY bespoke fitting has worked well for me over the years but it took a lot of 'tweeking' to get it just right.  I did have an oblong stoma to cater for in the early years, but it seemed to have changed shape and is now more or less round. I think that if it had stayed oblong, I would have made myself a cutting jig to fit, so that I could cut the wafers to the precise measurments every time. 

It isn't easy to experiment and get things just how you want them. However, most of the manufacturers are quite willing to discuss these problems and maybe come up with some solutions for you to try. I know that Coloplast (who I deal with) are often reminding me that they have a special R&D department for just this type of discussion with us users. I sometimes wondered if they would let me into their department to play on my own - but as yet  I have not come across anything I want to make that couldn't be constructed in my own shed.

Best wishes

Bill   

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Bill

Thanks Bill. I recently had surgery for a peristomal hernia. I started out smaller, got larger over the years. Finally, someone listened to me and I got my surgery last month, which was somewhat difficult. Now it is sorta sunken in on one side, making it difficult for the barrier to adhere. I'm sure it will all level out. Cutting to fit is just frustrating for me. I do keep a pattern to use to cut with. I might give your source a call and see what we can come up with.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob

Hi PP,

Having that dip on one side, as you describe, does complicate matters... as you're probably aware. Whether someone needs a ring seal or not really depends on their individual situation. When I first got my ostomy, I didn't use a ring. Then I started getting leaks and tried a few. They come in various thicknesses and OD/IDs, so there's lots to choose from. For a situation like yours, you might want to experiment with using half a ring (or any section of a ring) to fill in the depressed area to make the skin level for the barrier to attach to. For large depressions or the like, I've never found the paste to work, but maybe that's just me. They make flat and convex rings or seals... and Hollister even has an oval convex ring now... so you have that to think about also. The only way to know for sure is to experiment and try different things. For me, I've found that the things I fully expected to work... didn't, and those that I was iffy about... did. So nothing is really obvious.

Having to cut your own hole in your barrier is exactly what I do. My stoma is oval-shaped, and you won't find any pre-cut ovals that will exactly match yours. I mean, you might, but it would be rare. If you despise cutting the barrier hole, I'd suggest you set aside some time and cut a bunch of them at the same time, put them back in their package, and put the package in a Ziplock bag. This way, you'll have them ready to go for when you need to change. I've done this in the past, but really don't mind cutting one before I pull the old one off. I use a template that I continue to tweak each time I cut a new hole... and save the last two templates just in case I lose one.

Regards,

Bob

ron in mich

Hi Pinkie, I have a dip at the bottom of my stoma, and I use a part of an Eakin seal to fill it in, so like Bob said, to make it level for the wafer to sit on.

Pinkie pooh

Thank you, I'll try that.

Pinkie pooh
Reply to w30bob

Thanks Bob. I did not know Hollister had an oval-shaped ring, but I like the idea of adding an extra piece where it dips to help level it out. Awesome!

Homie With A Stomie NS

I cut to fit, wear a one-piece convex, and always use a barrier ring.....it's what is working for me. But we are all different with different skin, sizes, shapes, and dips, so I don't know the real answer for you, hun. This is my answer.