What is a reversal?

Replies
Views
hubakat

What is a reversal? I just had ostomy surgery 2 months ago and am a bit confused. Even if they can't do a J-pouch, there is still other surgeries?

groundhog
G'day, in March 2009 I had an emergency colostomy. My world was turned upside down/inside out. Woke up with an 'alien' attached to my tummy. ET nurses were a godsend. It didn't take long to adapt - but I 'HATED' it, even though it was temporary. Had a reversal in September 09. As each doctor/country has different procedures, I can only tell you of my experience. Very basically, they undo what they've done. They unstitch the stoma, rejoin the bowel, and then close the stoma site. I was cut, both ops, from mid-pubic bone to just above my belly button (now I have a front bum). I'm amazed that they cut in the same place and it's healed really well. I had a cardiac arrest as they were closing, and due to the loss of sterility, my wound site was infected. That, I think, could have been the cause of my recto-vaginal fistula, which is due for surgery in April/May. Hopefully, they can repair the fistula. Probably have a temporary ileostomy which will be reversed after the bowel has 'rested', about 2 months. I can empathize with what you must be going through, but it REALLY does GET BETTER/EASIER. Even though I hated every single nanosecond I had to share with my little 'alien', it beats having to cope with a fistula. Will be sending love and light. Dee
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

There are a few of us here with fistulas, and I think we can all say fistulas suck! Really hope your surgery goes well - I have had mine now for 12 years - it seems to be that if you can get them early they seem to heal okay - mine was misdiagnosed for 3 years, and hasn't repaired well at all, in fact where I did have a minuscule fistula I now have an orifice..... sigh.....
Rachel xx

eddie

Hi, a reversal surgery is for people who have to have a colostomy or ileostomy to allow the bowel to heal. Usually for 3 to 6 months, they kept their rectum and the surgeon cuts you back open and reconnects the bowel back together and does away with the ostomy. Hope this makes sense.
Eddie

janice

When you have ostomies, a part of your intestine is cut and comes out of your belly (your stoma).   A reversal is when they reattach your intestines and put them back inside.

I had a reversal in Sept. of '08 but it didn't last.   I got another bowel perforation and am now back to the ostomies again.   They do work well for some people but mine was a very painful time from which I never recovered.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Eddie, thank you for that information. I have to wait until mine is healed also before they can reverse it. But I have never been so scared as after the surgery. I got the worst infections and it affected my kidneys. I also got bad anemia, pneumonia, and diabetes. But I came home from the second hospital on IVs to kill any infection that was left. I am back to my kidneys working and no diabetes. Other than this bag, I have to have a colonoscopy this summer and my new surgeon thinks he can reverse it. I just wondered, does anyone else's skin swell up? As I noticed after my shower, around my bag where I put the patch, I have a swollen area. I need to heal. I just wondered, was I putting the bag on wrong or just pushing the paste too hard? If anyone knows, I sure would like the answer. Thank you, Eddie. JG.
dee05
In October of 2006, I had a "temporary ileostomy" due to a tear in my J-pouch. This tear caused an abscess on my ovary, which also had to be removed. I left the hospital with an infection, which they tried to clear with every antibiotic imaginable. Then they tried Remicade treatment with no cure. My surgeon just shakes his head whenever I see him. The CT scan is inconclusive. When I saw my surgeon last August, he told me he believes it is a fistula and that he doesn't think I have colitis but Crohn's, which he tells me that if it is Crohn's, then a J-pouch will not work. So now they have scheduled me for May 6th to take down the pelvic pouch (J-pouch). I just don't get it... if it is a fistula, then why can't they just go in and repair it and then reattach the pelvic pouch? This will be my 4th surgery in the same location from diaphragm to the pelvic bone... scared? You better believe it. I hope your surgery is much more successful.
lottagelady
Hi Dee, bloody fistulas once more - they are dreadful...

I suspect that if you have Crohn's then the prospect of more fistulas is more and more likely causing even more problems which is why I suppose they want to remove the pouch.

Fistulas are very difficult to repair - I am at my last lot of surgery now, had mine since 1998, has been repaired 8/9 times and still no luck. I have a new surgeon who will be trying a different approach, but my body has had enough, so no more after this lot, I will need to decide on a permanent ileo or colostomy and whether or not I need my rectum removed .... happy days! Wishing you all the best with whatever happens ... Rach xx
Past Member

Hi, I had my reversal in Oct 09 after having emergency colostomy in July 08. After 15 months, I was fit and strong to have my reversal. Mine seems to have settled quite well, but it looks like I may have a fistula, so I am having tests done in the coming weeks. However, the actual reversal went quite smoothly, it just takes a while to recover. Hope this gives you some peace of mind. Take care, Pippa x