Managing a Quiet Stoma at Work: Need Tips!

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi, I just recently went back to work. I work retail, so I am close up with customers. I would appreciate any tips on how to make sure my stoma is quiet during work hours.

AlexT

Duct tape her mouth shut. Of course, taking the tape off might not feel very good, and God only knows how much will come out as soon as you rip the tape off. If you seal her up, do you then burp in front of customers as the air has to get out somehow? You could easily put either thick fabric or a piece of neoprene into the pocket of the wraps that I use, or I believe there are belts that hold your bag with a neoprene piece to go over your stoma area.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

I had to look neoprene up. LOL Good idea. What kind of wraps do you use?

AlexT

The ones from Ostomysecrets. They have a pocket (actually 2 if someone has 2 bags) to hold your bag. It would be very easy to slide a piece of heavy fleece or whatever type of fabric you want inside the wrap and on top of your stoma.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Thank you so much. That is a great idea.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Do not eat a big meal before or during work and avoid food that causes gas.

Past Member

Thanks, AL. Yes, I am hardly eating in the daytime now. Trying to drink lots of tea though.

I am starving when I get home after work though. LOL

xnine

Nothing, it does what it wants when it wants. I use a tummy sleeve from a maternity shop.

Past Member
Reply to xnine

Good idea...thanks!

Maried

No high fat or high sugar foods or milk products during or before work. Keep your meals while working simple and small. Cereal bar, bread, tuna, string cheese, small amounts of hard candy, crackers. Tea or water.

Past Member
Reply to Maried

Thanks for the tips.

nelajimenez

Hi! I have two jobs in customer service. I always bring Poo-Pourri spray in my pocket just in case I need to go to empty my bag. Try to eat before your shift and avoid gassy foods like dairy or onions.

Past Member
Reply to nelajimenez

Thanks so much.

TXSteve

Hi Sunflower111. I use two "mufflers" (https://www.stealthbelt.com/muffle-stoma-noise) underneath a Comfizz (https://comfizz.com/collections/waistbands) cloth wrap over my bag when I am going to be in close proximity to people. These do a pretty good job of minimizing "noise", lol.

Good luck!

Past Member
Reply to TXSteve

Oh, thank you... I will check it out.