Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Food

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:51 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Some foods you can't eat with ostomy.    Like pasta?  

Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:58 pm

I can't eat fried foods. 😕

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm

What type of ostomy you have may dictate what/what not to eat more so than anything. 

Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:51 pm

I have colostomy and pasta is no problem. Chew it up and you are good to go. Skins, peals, and seeds cause problems for some.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:07 am

My ileostomy doesn't keep me from having pasta frequently.  The one thing that I consciously avoid is melon.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:56 am

Hi Dogmum i,ve had my ostomy for 30 some years and i avoid raw fruits and veggies, also mushrooms. Pasta was one of the foods i craved after my surgery also ice cream.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm

I eat pasta very frequently. I peal my veggies and any fruits. Strawberries are a definite no for me with all of the seeds. I have a hard time with most veggies and fruits but there are many on here that say they can eat anything. I have an ileostomy; just introduce different foods into your diet one at at a time. You may very well be one of the lucky ones that can eat what you want.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Morning glory wrote:

I eat pasta very frequently. I peal my veggies and any fruits. Strawberries are a definite no for me with all of the seeds. I have a hard time with most veggies and fruits but there are many on her...

Yeah, seeds are bad. I try to avoid them. If I do eat them, it seems like I poop seeds for days. 😁 

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm

AlexT wrote:

Yeah, seeds are bad. I try to avoid them. If I do eat them, it seems like I poop seeds for days. 😁 

So does my dog when she eats the birdseed! LOL 😁

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:

So does my dog when she eats the birdseed! LOL 😁

😂 When I used to put seed and peanuts out for the wildlife in the winter, Cooper would eat the peanuts if I didn't stop him. 

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:04 pm

Hi Dogmum,  As you may have gathered, everyone is different.  As mentioned, you will have an easier time with a colostomy as far as food goes and most can eat anything, but not always.  An ileostomy is far more likely to cause issues, so the best way to find out is to start be introducing items one at a time in small amounts, to see how your system responds.  I've had both a colostomy and an ileostomy.  I could eat anything with the colostomy, and I can eat anything with my ileo too, BUT, I have to chew really, really well, and always keep well hydrated. 

Terry

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:35 am

My food issues have changed a bit over the years: I used to be OK with rice if I didn't have it two days running, but now rice is 'special occasions only', and pasta is becoming the same.

Hydration is a big issue - if I don't drinks loads, slight dehydration creeps up on me and causes a build up of problems (or do I mean a problem of build-ups?).

Apricots are as effective as piccolax, but taste considerably better!

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 pm

HenryM wrote:

My ileostomy doesn't keep me from having pasta frequently.  The one thing that I consciously avoid is melon.

Hi Henry.  I have some watermelon every morning 365 or 6 days a year.  Sometimes I need to really shop until I find a store that found a truck that found a boat that found an island somewhere on our planet that grows them in December through January.  Of course I avoid the seeds as I do with other melons. I haven't recognized any deleterious effects.  Maybe just my recognition.

What melons do you avoid?

Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:46 am

My doctor actually recommended pasta after my ileostomy gnocchi in particular. Also I love the marshmallow trick, a cup of cocoa with melted marshmallows seems to thicken up my usual watery output.

I also avoid seeds and dehydrated fruits and nuts. 

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:44 pm

I have a really weird relationship with food.  After two years of prednisone induced diabetes, 7 surgeries plus 3 extra hospitalizations, I don’t care to eat, I eat familiar foods I prepare in my kitchen. Tonight I ate 1/2 of a take out roll up with chicken lettuce, a little onion.  I did not enjoy it one bit. I would have a preferred 1/2 pb&j and some canned fruit. I’ve gotten skinny after many years of fighting overweight. And I cannot imagine ever enjoying food again. Eating is something I do because I have to.  And when I can’t stand to, I drink Boost. 

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:20 am

Anonymous wrote:

I have a really weird relationship with food.  After two years of prednisone induced diabetes, 7 surgeries plus 3 extra hospitalizations, I don’t care to eat, I eat familiar foods I prepare in m...

Wow sorry you went through all that. Does the food just not have ant flavor for you?

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 pm

AlexT wrote:

Well I  can understand why you avoid them

Nobody likes a "seedy" guy

🙊 sorry,  the devil made me do it! LOL

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:41 pm

Mermaid13 wrote:

Well I  can understand why you avoid them

Nobody likes a "seedy" guy

🙊 sorry,  the devil made me do it! LOL

Homie don’t like being seedy, trust me. 😁

Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm

for me it's bacon...I love it crispy and find no matter how I chew it it's very heavy on my stomach....

Tue May 17, 2022 7:07 pm

What is the consensus on steak? please

Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 pm

Mommabear NS wrote:

What is the consensus on steak? please

I eat steak all the time, no issues for me. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.