Ostomy-friendly pasta options?

Replies
Views
dogmum

Some foods you can't eat with an ostomy. Like pasta?

Past Member

I can't eat fried foods.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

What type of ostomy do you have? It may dictate what/what not to eat more so than anything.

xnine

I have a colostomy and pasta is no problem. Chew it up and you are good to go. Skins, peels, and seeds cause problems for some.

HenryM

My ileostomy doesn't keep me from having pasta frequently.  The one thing that I consciously avoid is melon.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Dogmum, I've had my ostomy for 30 some years and I avoid raw fruits and veggies, also mushrooms. Pasta was one of the foods I craved after my surgery, also ice cream.

Morning glory

I eat pasta very frequently. I peel my veggies and any fruits. Strawberries are a definite no for me with all of the seeds. I have a hard time with most veggies and fruits but there are many on here that say they can eat anything. I have an ileostomy; just introduce different foods into your diet one at a time. You may very well be one of the lucky ones that can eat what you want.

AlexT
Reply to Morning glory

Yeah, seeds are bad. I try to avoid them. If I do eat them, it seems like I poop seeds for days.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

So does my dog when she eats the birdseed! LOL

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

When I used to put seed and peanuts out for the wildlife in the winter, Cooper would eat the peanuts if I didn't stop him.

TerryLT

Hi Dogmum, as you may have gathered, everyone is different. As mentioned, you will have an easier time with a colostomy as far as food goes and most can eat anything, but not always. An ileostomy is far more likely to cause issues, so the best way to find out is to start by introducing items one at a time in small amounts, to see how your system responds. I've had both a colostomy and an ileostomy. I could eat anything with the colostomy, and I can eat anything with my ileo too, BUT, I have to chew really, really well, and always keep well hydrated.

Terry

ChrisP

My food issues have changed a bit over the years: I used to be okay with rice if I didn't have it two days running, but now rice is 'special occasions only', and pasta is becoming the same.

Hydration is a big issue - if I don't drink loads, slight dehydration creeps up on me and causes a buildup of problems (or do I mean a problem of build-ups?).

Apricots are as effective as Piccolax, but taste considerably better!

iMacG5
Reply to HenryM

Hi Henry.  I have some watermelon every morning 365 or 6 days a year.  Sometimes I need to really shop until I find a store that found a truck that found a boat that found an island somewhere on our planet that grows them in December through January.  Of course I avoid the seeds as I do with other melons. I haven't recognized any deleterious effects.  Maybe just my recognition.

What melons do you avoid?

Abefroman1969

My doctor actually recommended pasta after my ileostomy, gnocchi in particular. Also, I love the marshmallow trick - a cup of cocoa with melted marshmallows seems to thicken up my usual watery output.

I also avoid seeds, dehydrated fruits, and nuts.

Past Member

I have a really weird relationship with food. After two years of prednisone-induced diabetes, 7 surgeries plus 3 extra hospitalizations, I don't care to eat. I eat familiar foods I prepare in my kitchen. Tonight, I ate 1/2 of a take-out roll-up with chicken, lettuce, and a little onion. I did not enjoy it one bit. I would have preferred 1/2 PB&J and some canned fruit. I've gotten skinny after many years of fighting overweight. And I cannot imagine ever enjoying food again. Eating is something I do because I have to. And when I can't stand to, I drink Boost.

Past Member

Wow, sorry you went through all that. Does the food just not have any flavor for you?

Mermaid13
Reply to AlexT

Well, I can understand why you avoid them.

Nobody likes a "seedy" guy.

Sorry, the devil made me do it! LOL

AlexT
Reply to Mermaid13

Homie doesn't like being seedy, trust me.

Homie With A Stomie NS

For me, it's bacon... I love it crispy and find no matter how I chew it, it's very heavy on my stomach....

Homie With A Stomie NS

What is the consensus on steak? Please

AlexT
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

I eat steak all the time, no issues for me.

Daria Luna
Reply to Anonymous

I'm pretty new with my ileostomy, but it seems I have to be very careful and most of the time I have no idea what to even eat. I had a lot of illness and surgeries that left me unable to eat solids a lot of the time and now I too am uninterested in food. I think it's mostly because I can't eat the very healthy diet I ate for most of my life - no salad, beans, roasted veggies. No brown rice, whole grains..yeah, I don't even care if I eat. Right now I'm dealing with constipation/partial blockage, hmm. But it's better than walking around looking like I'm pregnant with twins.