Best Soap for Stoma Skin Care?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the best soap options for stoma skin care, with participants sharing their recommendations and experiences.
AlexT

Is there any soap made specifically for washing your skin around your stoma? I know, just water is best. I know some use this or that generic soap. But is there a specific one made for it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Reason I ask is I had my first blowout this morning. Took the bag off and jumped in the shower to wash off. Then, I'm like damn, all I have is sexy smelling man soap... hope it's ok.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
TerryLT

Hi Alex, the best soap to use is free of all scents, creams or other additives, just natural soap. I use Ivory (do you have that in the U.S.?), just plain soap. And the jury is out as far as just water being best. My ostomy nurse always said that soap is best, as long as you rinse really well. If you are just using water, you won't remove the natural oils in your skin as well, which means your skin won't be as dry, hence your appliance may not stick as well, or the adhesive may not last as long.

Terry

AlexT

We do have Ivory soap.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

LOL, I don't know... I don't own sexy smelling man soap.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

A good whiff is all it takes.......

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

LOL

Superme

Alex, I'm guessing you have sensitive skin and if so Aveeno is a good choice. I personally don't use it because my skin is not so sensitive around my stoma. I use Dove for men and even exfoliate. I do not recommend this for wimpy skin. Mike

Earth Angel

Hi Alex,

I use Dove soap. Just stay away from the ones with cocoa shea butter or other oils as it will loosen up the adherence of your barrier. Good luck.

xnine

I have not heard or seen special soap. I just use shampoo when washing my hair.

HenryM

I'm in agreement on the Ivory, but I generally just use warm water.  Years ago, when I had a temporary leakage problem, I got a special soap that was designed for ostomy patients, but it was so long ago I can't recall the name of the stuff.  I'm sure it, or something similar, is available thru an ostomy supply.

Past Member

What does one use to remove that horrid Hollister Adapt paste? A putty knife? I ran out of my circles and had to use paste yesterday. I just about stuck myself to the wall and can't imagine what I'll do when I go to change my base on Tuesday.

Morning glory

Alex, you can use Enzymatic Rain. It is an odor eliminator and skin and stoma cleanser manufactured in the USA. For Think Medical, call 1-800-849-8446. You can also put it in your appliance.

AlexT
Reply to Morning glory

Thank you

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Flamethrower.

AlexT
Reply to Earth Angel

Thank you.

Past Member

I use Goat's Milk Soap with no issues.

Longroad78

I do not have sensitive skin, so I use Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap Tea Tree when I change applications. They sell it at most health food stores. With a washcloth, it does remove most of the adhesive and paste. I have not had any problems yet. There are instructions on the bottle on how to use it and dilute it if needed.

jetthumb

My ostomy nurse suggested Dial or Ivory. I have been using Dial. I have not had problems with adhesion of the wafer. I wasn't having any skin problems, but then I waited too long between changes and pulled it off without using the adhesive remover because I was in the shower and it seemed okay. But I think that was a mistake.

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to AlexT

Hmm...

Does the sexy man come with it? LOL

E I

Two bags

I use Hollister Skin Cleanser liquid spray soap.

Product # 7210

It's a thin liquid soap in a spray pump bottle. This might not be available to you folks in the USA, I don't know the cost either, but in Australia, I get it free with my monthly order. It works really well. I use it in the shower on bag change days.

Past Member
Reply to Ebony&Ivory

Lol

AlexT
Reply to Ebony&Ivory

Stop, you're making me blush.

bowsprit

Sometime ago, an ostomy nurse here said to use Head & Shoulders shampoo. The zinc in it helps to keep the skin healthy. I wonder if someone else recalls that post?

Lost_Treasure

Having had hypersensitive skin prior to my ileostomy 18 years ago, I've been using a

Sorbolene (non-soap) beauty bar which is now made by Velvet (Pental Ltd) for 30 plus

years. It's gentle on sensitive skin, dermatologically tested, fragrance-free, and

made here in Oz. However, I would think that there would be an equivalent product

available in America and Canada.

corbiator
Reply to AlexT

Didn't work for me

Earth Angel
Reply to bowsprit

I use Head and Shoulders as well as Dove soap. It helps keep yeast infections away. I mostly use it in the summer months when I'm in the pool a lot and it's hot and humid out. It keeps the skin nice and healthy.

Ostomate Spouse 2013
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex.

My husband has a urostomy. He too wondered about cleaning around his stoma, knowing that any soap with cream or lanolin cannot be used. Our ostomy group, which we belonged to at the time, sent out newsletters that included a doctor's comment on what he does. He has been a urostomate since 1980. I was trying to find his article but was unsuccessful. However, this is what my husband does after reading the article.

So, with his urostomy, he lost his bladder, so he pees into the pouch. When it's the day he is changing his appliance, he does so in the shower. The doctor talked about having many peristomal skin problems caused by seepage. The doctor found relief for skin problems using an antibacterial gel - Dial Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer. My husband luckily didn't have skin issues but wanted the area cleaner, so he tried the foamy soap and has been using it for 9 years without any problems. You can find the antibacterial hand sanitizer anywhere. We live in Ontario, Canada, so I buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's worth a try.

Good luck.

Ostomate Spouse since 2013.

AlexT

Thank you

Ebony&Ivory
Reply to Anonymous

I tried the paste early on. Hated it! I made a big mess with it. It didn't take long for me to give up on it.

E I