Anxiety about pouch change - Seeking advice and support

Replies
Views
Abefroman1969

I've had great luck with the last two pouches I've applied. So much so, I had serious anxiety about changing the pouch this time. Well, last night I sprung a very small manageable leak, so my decision has been made for me.

I'll be changing out the pouch this morning after a shower, going horizontal this time so I can try out the first ostomy belt that has arrived. I got it on eBay and have had it for about 10 days, but haven't tried it out yet.

Still rolling with my Coloplast samples, I prefer the one-piece Coloplast to those two-piece "dollar store" Convatec I was given in the hospital. The Convatec to me sounded like I was trying to hide a piece of cellophane under my shirt, so loud!

Thanks for reading/listening and please think good thoughts while I attempt this pouch change doing ALL the steps. Last time, I forgot to do skin prep and didn't realize until the pouch was on and sealed. Thankfully, it hasn't hurt or stung.

I appreciate all the help I get here, y'all are some tremendous people. I couldn't do this alone!

Paul

aka

Abe

Past Member

Big big Hugs to you Paul. You got this! ❤️

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Abefroman1969

Thank you, 20-minute countdown to wrapping the pic line. Have my new pouch prepped except for the glue ring (I do that last) and have my skin prep supplies out and at the ready.
My caretaker rigged up a full-length mirror that I hang off my shower head so I can change the pouch in the shower in case I'm having output to cut down on the messy bathroom syndrome I kept having. It works really well and he's upgrading the hanging bit today after the change.
He's a horrible sleeper, so each day when I get up, he says good morning and goes to his room to sleep while I start my day.
I told him last night it's like the dogs changing shifts in the Wile E Coyote cartoons, night Ralph!

Past Member

LOL Morning Sam!

Abefroman1969

I did it! Horizontal and wearing with my stoma belt, very comfortable and the Coloplast glue rings don't leave near as much residue as the ones I was using before. I also love the half moon barrier seals. I'll try Hollister next week but right now Coloplast is the clear favorite! Also at 160 lbs, now that I'm not way over hydrated and my legs look normal again, not all swollen with fluid!

Thanks for the support, it helped. A LOT!
Paul

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Abefroman1969

Oh, and no more diapers! For now, anyways! Wearing underpants for the first time in months, got my Always pads placed and it feels great! No wings!

Past Member

Doing the happy dance for you!!

Abefroman1969

Oh no, I most certainly did not do it correctly. It was leaking badly. Luckily, it was Stoma Nurse Day and I'm now wearing a Hollister vertical. Everything I was wearing earlier is in the wash and I'm back to the diaper. Dammit!
Close though, I'll get it next time.

Past Member

It's still a win, Paul! You are trying!

Abefroman1969

The nurse was like a F1 pit stop, under 5 minutes and a new bag was cut applied and including leaky bag removal.
Glad I have her!

AlexT

It's amazing how fast my ostomy nurse can change my bag. I can do mine pretty fast, but I like to let my skin get fresh air for a while, so it usually takes me about an hour to be fully done.

Past Member

Ostomy nurses are amazing! We have 2 in our monthly Zoom calls (local branch of Ostomy Canada) and they are a wealth of knowledge.

Abefroman1969

F that diaper, back to my boxer briefs, today is a win for underpants!

Past Member
Hooray for the return of Captain Underpants!
Past Member

Watch out for those scurvy rascals! To them, the greatest treasure out there is underwear! LOL

Past Member

What are you trying to say, Paul? Emojis turn to question marks in blogs!

Abefroman1969

Yes, they do.

RaenotRay

Paul,
You're doing amazing! The first little bit is so hard, lol. (I really need my emojis btw..) My mama was with me when I came home from the hospital. I had a midline incision and my ostomy was placed during an emergency surgery. Needless to say, it was a hot mess when I came home. I had multiple fails every day, and resorted to duct tape, baby diapers, and sanitary napkins (with wings, lol) to try to prolong my wear time. I had no idea I had less than 2 months left with my mama. The times we spent laughing to the point of snorting, and tears are among my favorite memories. We are so alike in our love of laughter, and choosing joy. I hope you can laugh during this time of learning. It honestly is so ridiculous at times, why not laugh?
-Rae

Past Member

PS I reported the emoji situation to customer service. :)

Past Member

If you're having that many issues, have you considered a convex wafer? It's used if the area around your stoma is above your stoma. It was one of 2 major game changers for me.

AlexT

Yeah, I'm switching to convex. My stoma is usually sticking out but when I lay down and relax, it'll go to being flush. I've tried a couple samples and really like them. Plus, you can hook a belt on for a little more pressure to hold it on better. Hollister 8666 bags is what I'm switching to.

Abefroman1969

I'm using a Hollister Convex One Piece today, that was what we had out from my sample kit at the time we noticed, she put it on so it's not going anywhere, no idea what model it is. I really like the Coloplast Sensa Mio 1 Piece so far, do not like the Convatec 2pc I started with.

Past Member

It's amazing when you find a product that works for you, how loyal you can become. I was given Hollister products in the hospital, so I used them for months. After months of problems and headaches, I found out Convatec worked best for me.

Abefroman1969

And goes to prove it's all about what works for you!

Past Member

Have you ever looked into irrigation? If you have not, I think it's worth at least a bit of time. I'm very new to it myself, so I'm far from an expert. But at this point my biggest regret is that I did not explore it sooner.

Abefroman1969

No, not yet, it's on the list of things to try. So far I'm not really liking this Hollister bag, it's very difficult to open to drain. Not sure why.

Abefroman1969

Well, here we go again, I'm out of the Coloplast bags I like so I'm wearing a Hollister something convex one piece. Last night I applied my second Osto-EZ Vent, the first one wasn't used because of the bag leakage. Going vertical again until my Coloplast arrives.
Anyhow, got it all prepped and today I will make this change and I will not have any leaks! I got this!

Past Member

You do! You got this! {{{Hugs}}}

Abefroman1969

And now we wait, got the old one off easy and really fit the body cleaned no old adhesive residue, got my last Hollister sample convex 1 piece on with Coloplast barrier strips and an Osto-Ez vent installed. And now we wait! 😂🤔🙏🙏🙏🙏

Past Member

Laughing emoji, good luck emoji, heart emoji, sunflower emoji