Spicy Food and Stoma: Experiences with Heat and Aftereffects?

Replies
Views
riffael

I'm coming up on a year as a colostomate, no significant problems.
My mottos were always "I like my food hotter than the hinges of hell" and "If you aren't blowing sparks the next morning, it wasn't hot enough last night."
Chemo in '96 for lymphoma made my tongue too sensitive for Taco Bell mild sauce. You know that was torture! I eventually grew out of that and my new-found curly hair.
I had chemo for ovarian cancer and acquired curly hair, a sensitive tongue, and a stoma this time. My tongue is making a slow comeback.
As I'm able to eat hotter and hotter foods, I notice I've lost the 'revenge' component of the aftereffects. That's certainly a bonus!
Have you observed similar items?
Raphael

Past Member

Haha!! Now I say it just burns on one end...!!! That's one advantage of the Stoma!!

One strange effect for me is that I have a ravenous appetite for pickled foods sometimes. Pickled beets, the little round ones, are the best!! Little pickled sweet red and green peppers are really good. The pickled foods contain all the good bacteria that you are missing in your gut. Eat pickled foods and you won't need all that live bacteria yogurt.

Eamon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

RaenotRay

I just wanted to say "Hi neighbor"!

AlexT

"Blowing sparks" might melt the bag.

riffael
Reply to RaenotRay

Hi, Rae!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
riffael
Reply to Anonymous

Ha! I love pickled foods!

Past Member

They are so good for your belly!! As I walk down the aisle, my hand washes for the pickled stuff!! All by itself almost when my body needs it. Great stuff!!

Eamon

TerryLT

Haven't had cancer myself, but just wanted to say, I'm glad you are able to eat the hot stuff again! I am also a spicy food freak and it would bug the hell out of me if I couldn't eat half the things I love. On another note, I have a good friend who went through cancer treatment a few years ago and came out of it with curly hair!

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

Love pickled stuff. My favorites are beets and herring (not together!)! Yum, and so good for you.

Terry

Perilune
Reply to TerryLT

At my Scrabble group yesterday, someone mentioned a friend who had chemo and all her hair fell out, and then it grew back curly. Quite a price to pay for curly hair, though.

RaenotRay
Reply to Perilune

I'm jealous you're in a Scrabble group!

riffael
Reply to Perilune

This is the second time post-chemo that it grew back curly. It didn't take too long the first time to straighten back out though...

PurpleBushie

I heard horror stories of spicy foods causing watery output, damaging the skin barrier, & even burning skin in the event of a leakage. Lucky for me, I've experienced absolutely none of that! Sometimes it turns my output orange if it's an extremely pigmented spice like gochujang or chili powder which certainly makes things feel riskier, but no actual negative effects. Which is good, since I really love Korean and Mexican foods. Can't get a piece of candy without chili powder in Mexico (this is an exaggeration, but also I love chili sweets so I don't mind either way)