Ostomy Bag Opening at Night: Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Rhondino

It's happened 3 times now. I have removed the clamp to my bag while sleeping and woke up to a disgusting mess. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

AlexT

I use the Velcro closure bags but I'd think you could put a piece of tape over the clip to help secure it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Oh no! I have never heard of this happening before. I wonder if there are special 'locking' clamps?

RaenotRay

That's a major bummer. I've had similar experiences, and it's never fun. Like Alex said, I would use a Velcro closure if one is available for the style you use.
I also purchased soft, bike-style shorts to sleep in. I'm a side or tummy sleeper, so my poor ride-along can go through a lot overnight. The shorts keep everything stable.

ODODOS 3 Pack High Waisted Shorts... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PBH1HRS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are the ones I ordered on Amazon.

Bill

Hello Rhondino. 

On my overnight 'bag'-cum sleeve, I use three of the small paperclip grips/clamps, which allows the wire to fold over onto the bag once I have used it for leverage. I've never had any problems with these.

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Never done it myself but have heard of others that do.

All I can suggest is wear some cotton gloves, the ones you can use at night when you moisturize your hands, go to bed, then hopefully it will do 2 jobs in 1 go.

Past Member

I always put a strip of tape over the Velcro closure, this has saved me more than once. You have to really squeeze that Velcro together or it will seem closed but really not be secure at all, give it a little tug to make sure. The little plastic clips have broken also when I used that closure system.

All the best.

Eamon.

Cplumber

Keep a bag of your favorite candy in bed and hopefully subconsciously you will open the candy bag over the shit bag and if you don't you can drown your sorrows in your favorite candy. Maybe.

Past Member

Did you ever consider wearing one of those ostomy belts? I wear my bag horizontally with a stealth belt. It would be very hard to get to in your sleep.

Rene

I use the Velcro closure as well, but they are not super secure. I use the triangle paper clips, the ones that have a heavy clasp.

Past Member

Sounds good, but I trust my tape.

Eamon.

Tense62
Reply to RaenotRay

Those high-waist shorts are so comfortable. I got mine at Big Lots...great for sleeping while keeping things intact.

RaenotRay
Reply to Tense62

Exactly, they made a huge difference for me.

gisele76

What type of bag are you using? I wear the Coloplast Sensura Mio. It has a Velcro closure. No worries at night.

Past Member

Fortunately, I have never done that on the ileostomy bag, but I have undone the valve on the urostomy bag a few times while asleep. Not a pleasant thing to happen, of course. Just pleased I can swim.

mmaguire972

That's awful. I use a Velcro bag, and I find that if my bag is weighing down, I put a pillow or stuffed animal to support it, or I wear soft stretchy high-waisted leggings which keep the bag in place.