Proctectomy healing issues: Seeking advice

Replies
Views
Ileostokate

Hi there. Has anyone had a proctectomy and had trouble with it completely healing/closing? I had it about a year ago. It has almost closed, with the exception of one tiny spot that will open from time to time. I am seeing my surgeon again this week after a couple of months after it seemed to have healed.

AlexT

Did you have radiation treatments? I've been dealing with a radiation wound and also had the Barbie Butt surgery. The radiation damages your good and bad cells and can be very difficult to heal. A person could think it was from surgery as the wound would be basically in the same spot but if you had radiation, I'd have them look at that first over anything else.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ileostokate

Hi Alex, thank you for your reply. I have not had radiation.

AlexT
Reply to Ileostokate

Good luck and hopefully your surgeon can get it figured out. It's an annoying issue to have for sure.

Past Member

Hi Ileostokate, I was very fortunate mine healed right away. Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Meadow Snow

I just had proctectomy surgery on 3rd March this year. Thankfully, my surgeon completely closed it up so all I have is a scar; hopefully it stays that way. I've been very careful to not sit on it straight, and my GP nurse advised me to use Vaseline on the wound. So what I'm doing with the scar twice daily is smearing on a tiny bit of Sudocrem, followed by the Vaseline to lock it in, so to speak. So far, I've not had any problems (although it's not even been two months for me yet, I'm still early days!). I also sit on a bright blue inflatable air cushion at meal times; I bought it off Amazon. The great thing about the air cushion is that you can make it firmer if you need that or let some air out to make it softer.