Nighttime leaks - Seeking advice for consistent morning leaks

Replies
Views
douglasrbrown2

I am just about 4 weeks into my ileostomy from stage 3 rectal cancer. The surgery was a success and my cancer is gone. I have about 9 more weeks till reversal surgery, so I am a short timer with my ostomy (I continue to pray this is the fact). My problem is I have leaks every day for the last 2 weeks. I have posted once in the past about this and received excellent feedback.

I had 3 major blowouts this past Sunday, other than that my leaks occur at about 3:00 AM every morning. I am still working and travel the state for my job with no issues getting in and out of the car, looking at job sites, etc. I get up every couple of hours at night to empty my bag. My question is why would my leak occur about the same time every morning? I sleep on my back with very little movement. Getting very frustrated and my home nurse has not been much help.

Looking for advice.

Thank you

HenryM

Are you flat on your back?  I sleep on my back too, but I pack a bunch of pillows behind me so that I'm actually just reclining rather than flat on my back.  That way any discharge can flow downhill, as it were.  Even when I go to the dentist for a cleaning, I won't let them put me all the way back.  She always says, "oh, you have back problems?"  I answer, "I just need to stay somewhat upright." 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Douglas, that is strange. It is at the same time. I have no idea. I got all kinds of weird results when I googled "waking up at 3 am". LOL Just wanted to say welcome.

Cplumber

Henry might have something! Laying flat on your back gives the juices time to pool and cause a blowout, also wearing a belt might help.

Good luck. I will be praying for you.

ron in mich

Hi Douglas, I have an ileostomy and can't sleep on my back as others said it pools around the stoma and eventually gets under. I sleep on the opposite side of my stoma with an occasional roll over to the other side for a sip of water and doze off again.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
countyclare
Reply to HenryM

Very helpful comments, Henry.

I have always appreciated your ability to help advise new and newer ostomates on this site.

Keep up the good work and stay well.

Mike from Cleveland, Ohio

TerryLT

I also agree with Henry's advice. Letting your output pool around the stoma for very long will allow it to start seeping under the flange, particularly if it's quite watery. The fact that you have an ileo will also contribute, as opposed to a colostomy, as your output is more caustic. I hope you are able to sleep on one side or the other. That should really improve things. Good luck!

Terry

Panko

Use Coloplast Brava Tape Extenders x 2. Sorbaderm Barrier Spray. Maybe a change of brand of bag? Try Dansac Easi Fold Nova 815-15 Extra Big for heavy output?

warrior

Try sleeping standing up hahaha just kidding I feel your pain at 2:00 3:00 a.m. in the morning having to empty the bag because that seems to be the time that my stoma just kicks into overdrive but I do believe wearing a belt and as the others have said try to sleep on the opposite side of your stoma would really really improve things for you the worst part is losing to sleep and then the next day trying to do anything at all I'm amazed that you can still go to work and continue work but man I'm telling you a good night sleep I wish since 2016 I have not had a decent night sleep so I wish you well and try what the people have mentioned above and let us know how you're making out okay