Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Karaya powder vs regular stoma powder

Fri May 06, 2022 11:03 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

So I am still not clear on what the difference is, but I switched to karaya powder and my life is so much better now! I was using convates stomahesive powder and I was having skin issues, redness and itching, also having trouble with appliance adhering due to scar tissue. I switched to Parthenon karaya powder and my skin is so much happier now plus my appliance adheres way better! Anyone else have an experience like this?

Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 am

I never used either one. The descriptions sound the same. Maybe the convates stomahesive powder has something in it that you are allergic to.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Sat May 07, 2022 2:06 am

hi, i have only ever used karaya 5 did not even know their was another powder . i only use a very slight dusting and only if the skin around my stoma looks a bit red. thank god and touch wood i have not had a problem so far so good. patrick

Sat May 07, 2022 3:18 am

I've always used Karaya powder and wondered if "stoma powder" was different.  Actually, I don't have any skin issues and could probably omit the powder spritz around the stoma, but I do it anyway just as a precaution, then follow it with a swipe of no-sting barrier film.

Wed May 11, 2022 7:03 am

I haven't heard of Karaya powder. I have always seen stoma powder, does anyone know if it is the same thing? Or what company is it that has it? I tried coloplast powder and i was allergic to it 🤷

Wed May 11, 2022 7:48 am

Beth22 wrote:

I haven't heard of Karaya powder. I have always seen stoma powder, does anyone know if it is the same thing? Or what company is it that has it? I tried coloplast powder and i was allergic to it 🤷

Hollister makes karaya powder, which I have used for a long time.  I was told that it is a healant. 

Wed May 11, 2022 12:21 pm

HenryM wrote:

Hollister makes karaya powder, which I have used for a long time.  I was told that it is a healant. 

Henerym thank you .. and I will have to try there's to see if there's works with me .. I have some irritated skin right around my stoma 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.