Karaya powder: a game-changer for my stoma care!

Replies
Views
newnormal

So I am still not clear on what the difference is, but I switched to karaya powder and my life is so much better now! I was using Convatec Stomahesive powder and I was having skin issues, redness and itching, also having trouble with appliance adhering due to scar tissue. I switched to Parthenon Karaya powder and my skin is so much happier now plus my appliance adheres way better! Anyone else have an experience like this?

Past Member

I never used either one. The descriptions sound the same. Maybe the Convatec Stomahesive powder has something in it that you are allergic to.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

patrickrichardson1946

Hi, I have only ever used Karaya 5. I did not even know there was another powder. I only use a very slight dusting and only if the skin around my stoma looks a bit red. Thank God and touch wood, I have not had a problem. So far, so good. Patrick.

HenryM

I've always used Karaya powder and wondered if "stoma powder" was different.  Actually, I don't have any skin issues and could probably omit the powder spritz around the stoma, but I do it anyway just as a precaution, then follow it with a swipe of no-sting barrier film.

Beth22

I haven't heard of Karaya powder. I have always seen stoma powder, does anyone know if it is the same thing? Or what company is it that has it? I tried Coloplast powder and I was allergic to it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
HenryM
Reply to Beth22

Hollister makes karaya powder, which I have used for a long time.  I was told that it is a healant. 

Beth22
Reply to HenryM

Henerym, thank you... and I will have to try theirs to see if it works for me... I have some irritated skin right around my stoma.