Eating corn on the cob with a colostomy: experiences and advice?

Replies
Views
SheColonostmy

Since summer is now upon us here in Ontario, one of my favorite foods has always been corn on the cob. I have had my colostomy not quite a year. Because I had surgery, then was on chemo for 6 months, and now radiation, I am testing the waters with food as I still can't figure out how long it takes things to digest and am currently curious about corn and salads. I have heard so much mixed information (I know it depends on the individual) on what we can eat. I also know the treatments are also affecting output and cramps, etc. I was just curious if anyone had had any luck with corn on the cob, garden salads, and quinoa or couscous (those were some of my staple supper's side dishes prior to this).

HenryM

I have an ileostomy and I'm not sure if diet for a colostomy is appreciably different.  I eat corn on the cob, and I'm eating popcorn right now as I type this.  Also salad is no problem.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,442 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

I'm the same as Henry, I do chew carefully

AlexT

I eat it all and corn will slow me down like I posted about earlier, but it's not on the do not eat list for me. You will know when the corn is coming out. The only thing I truly avoid are seeds/nuts for the simple fact I don't like them in my bag. Oh, and a lot of fiber at once will give me lots of output.

Bill

I'm with all the other repliers. Absolutely no problem with sweetcorn or any other salad ingredient. The sweetcorn often comes out almost intact if I haven't chewed it enough but it still hasn't caused a problem.  I grow my own because I just love it raw and straight off the cob.

Best wishes

Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
SheColonostmy
Reply to HenryM

Ok, good to know. I love popcorn!! But have been nervous about that too. Thanks for sharing.

SheColonostmy
Reply to Bill

Lucky you (for growing your own). Ok. I will try a bit then and see how I make out. Thanks for the reply.

SheColonostmy
Reply to AlexT

Thank you for the reply. Good to know. My concern is always blockages as I had to go back to the hospital (upon my release after a two-month stay) due to a stoma blockage, but that was 6 months ago, and I have been better with chewing and learning my diet. I am also wary of seeds for the same reason of blockage. With the colostomy, they say you can eat more regular foods after the 8 weeks are done, but I am nervous about the blockage thing. I am learning my bowel cycle is very different now (hopefully not TMI lol) as I get a lot more dehydrated, so not as easy to digest and pass food.

AlexT
Reply to SheColonostmy

Pumping fluids into yourself is always good for your digestion and to flush toxins out. Just be careful not to drink too much and push all the nutrients out too before they have a chance to get absorbed.

AlexT
Reply to SheColonostmy

I think the key for any of us is eating things in moderation. Eating some popcorn with plenty of fluids shouldn't be a problem. Eating the whole bucket of popcorn, although quite delicious and feasible, probably isn't the best choice for us.

SheColonostmy
Reply to AlexT

This is another thing I struggle with: trying to get enough fluids. I'm not much of a drinker of any kind. I am never thirsty, so trying to drink 2L of water is a struggle and has resulted in vomiting while going through radiation. Not a good thing with a colostomy, lol.

AlexT
Reply to SheColonostmy

Drop it to 1 liter and see how your body responds. If you have a colostomy, you aren't losing the fluids like a person with an ileostomy does. So, maybe your body doesn't need as much as you think. Also, depending on how active you are can really dictate how much fluid you need and how easy it is to take in.

TerryLT

Corn has never been a problem for me, not when I had my colostomy and not now with my ileostomy. People with colostomies are far less likely to have issues with food, so don't deny yourself something you love. Just remember to chew well. Enjoy!

Terry

SallyK

Hi Shecolonostmy, I have no wise words because I don't eat corn (silly story about when I was delivering my son). But I wanted to say hi and welcome.

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

Do tell.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

LOL Aren't you supposed to be working?

AlexT

I'm ready to work but they never have my train ready....so here I am.

SheColonostmy
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, Alex. Good point and good to know. I appreciate the insight as I am still learning.

SheColonostmy
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, Sally! I agree with the "Do Tell" as I love a funny story!

SallyK
Reply to SheColonostmy

I will have to private message you for that one... not telling it here. LOL

AlexT
Reply to SallyK

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

AlexT

Don't be a prissy with the forum folks...

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

YEEESSS

AlexT

I double dog dare you to tell everyone.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Of course you do.

anyark

With a new food, it's a good idea to try a little of it. I have seen some people eat anything and a lot of it, but I can't do that. Thus, difficult as it is, I have not eaten corn on the cob for 10 years. Corn is very difficult to digest, and what goes in, comes out....

Superme

Things like corn on the cob, peanuts, and mushrooms are just some things that don't break up easily. You should have no problem if you follow the golden rule: chew, chew, chew and drink, drink, drink. Mike

knobby
Reply to HenryM

I guess there's no direct way to reply to SheColonostmy.

I eat most foods without issue. But I have two compounding problems so I have to be careful with corn, salad, spaghetti etc - I have diverticulosis and no upper teeth - Agent Orange was not my friend (have not gotten used to dentures yet). But the diverticulosis trap corn, salad etc and I have the worst stomach pains you can imagine because I get all stopped up. For me, I need to chew more thoroughly and I guess I would suggest that to SheC... as well. I would love to eat corn on the cob again, drenched in butter. Maybe when I'm more comfortable with the dentures. But SheC... should have no trouble with it or salads. Just go slow, we're all different.

AlexT
Reply to knobby

Thank you for your service.