Seeking Alternatives to Loperamide for Ostomy - Need Advice

Replies
Views
Mike1988

Hello

After asking for help on my previous post yesterday called 'Ileostomy help', I thought I would ask if anyone takes an alternative to Loperamide Hydrochloride (Imodium) to control and regulate bowel function for ostomy. I have taken this for a number of years and also recently started on Omeprazole for stomach acid. I am not sure if Loperamide is giving me unwanted side effects so am keen to see if there is an alternative.

I have tried Codeine already but this made me very drowsy/sleepy.

Your advice is much appreciated

Mike x

Bill

Hello Mike.

This question has come up one or two times  and I feel obliged to say that I could not get along with Loperamide in tablet form. However, it was much better as a liquid, because I could control the amounts I was taking according to my needs at the time.  I now take Docusate 100mgs x2, twice a day, which seems to me doing the trick for me.

I hope you find a solution to suit you soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Here is some information I found online. Hope it helps. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4789-4025/loperamide-oral/loperamide-oral/details/

Abefroman1969

Hi Mike,

My surgeon gave me tincture of opium, it's liquid and a very small dose, may give you the same symptoms of drowsiness however.
They have me on opium, Imodium and Lomotil and omeprazole and nothing stops my train except for bananas, I don't really care for bananas, if it has one spot of not yellow/green I won't eat it.
Sorry I digress, even with all 4 medications I'm a dirty water fountain.

Best of luck finding relief.
Abe/Paul

Past Member

Hello Mike,

I drink a glass of Metamucil every morning. It seems to help, and if needed, I will drink another glass later on in the day. I also notice that adding a banana with my breakfast helps. As you, I'm not a fan of the Imodium.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mike1988
Reply to Anonymous

Hi. Thanks for that - does Metamucil not have laxative properties? I thought this might cause me to go more than I am already?

Past Member
Reply to Mike1988

I thought the same but during my stay at the hospital, they used it to control my loose output (sorry if that was too graphic). It worked, and that is now my morning routine.

Past Member
Reply to Mike1988

I thought the same but during my stay at the hospital, they used it to control my loose output (sorry if that was too graphic). It worked, and that is now my morning routine.

Fidguiman

Hi Mike,

New ileostomy in April 2022, after colon resection and reversal of colostomy. I asked the same question to my GI surgeon, that is, if I should keep taking Metamucil with Imodium to control output because it sounds like one med does the opposite of the other. She said 'yes', continue with daily Metamucil and could even take it twice daily (morning and evening) because its type of fiber helps bind food. Then, titrate the Imodium depending on stool consistency and output. Like MS18 noted, my output has been okay with Metamucil just once daily and a banana or yogurt by early afternoon (one Imodium as needed).