Pomegranate Seeds: Ostomy Diet Experiences?

Replies
Views
bohdan
Jun 18, 2022 8:20 pm

Good afternoon everyone.

What benefits, either positive or negative, have members had from adding pomegranates or pomegranate seeds

to their ostomy diet?

Thank you.

AlexT
Jun 18, 2022 8:39 pm

I drink the juice all the time mixed with cranberry juice. I avoid all seeds as much as possible.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bohdan
Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you, Alex.

I purchased the pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe's this afternoon.

Pomegranate juice mixed with cranberry juice, OK... I will try it. Many thanks....

What about cranberry juice mixed with water? Not much for flavor, however it is cheaper.

Do you mix them 1:1?

Looking66
Jun 18, 2022 9:07 pm

I ate a pomegranate once with the seeds and ended up with bad stomach pains, and it hurt coming out of my ostomy. I have an ileostomy.

TerryLT
Jun 18, 2022 9:11 pm
Reply to bohdan

Hi Bohdan, you should drink whatever juice you like. Cranberry and pomegranate juice are both really good for you, but there are lots of other juices that are good as well, whether you are an ostomate or not. I'm not really sure what having an ostomy has to do with what juice you drink? There are some, like prune, or to a lesser degree apple, that will have a laxative effect, again whether you are an ostomate or not. I would just caution that most juices are high in sugar, so drinking a lot of it is not a great idea. If it's hydration you are looking for, you are better off making water the liquid you drink the most of.

Terry

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
TerryLT
Jun 18, 2022 9:13 pm

Just an added thought, if hydration is your goal, try mixing a little juice with lots of water, just to make it more palatable.

AlexT
Jun 18, 2022 9:43 pm
Reply to bohdan

I'm not sure of the ratio, but I tend to like cranberry juice to be the "main" taste. Now, my favorite is cranberry/pineapple juice. I have a glass of either one of those or a glass of orange juice every morning.

bohdan
Jun 18, 2022 9:48 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Terry,

Just trying to help manage my colostomy bag and be healthy and not for the laxative effect.

Trader Joe's sells 100% cranberry juice with minimal sugar. So mixing it with water is a good start.

With perhaps 1 unit cranberry to 4 units of water.

Of course, this is a guideline only and everyone is responsible for their own health.

bohdan
Jun 18, 2022 10:42 pm
Reply to AlexT

What ratio do you use so that you can enjoy the taste?

AlexT
Jun 18, 2022 11:14 pm
Reply to bohdan

Not sure exactly. Probably 2.5-3 cranberry: 1 pomegranate. I don't really measure it that well. I can drink straight cranberry but prefer just a little of some other taste mixed in.

bohdan
Jun 18, 2022 11:56 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you, Alex.

I appreciate your graciousness and your willingness to share.

Catlaw2
Jun 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Being an ostomate for 45+ years, I'd recommend no seeds, grains, peel skin off raw fruit, no corn, no raw veggies, and be careful with fiber.

To prevent potential blockage, with all that being said, EVERYONE is different, so experiment sparingly. I do drink pomegranate/cranberry juice, which helps things move through and is good for the kidney, etc.

Good luck! Stay well! Cherish each day!