Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,891 members

Offering some Newbie wisdom AND need user advice = Two piece systems

Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:52 am
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

Hi Friends! 

I’m a little over two weeks in and trying to figure out the best system / company for supplies. 

So far After trying some basic one piece Hollister produce I’ve learned I need a convex bag due to the flatness of my stoma and was having issues with pancaking and leaking. 

I’ve also learned that I don’t really care for the materials of the Hollister bags - Coloplast are more inconspicuous with  their level of opaqueness (makes me feel less conscious of it showing - one less worry) and still having a viewing window to check it all out. I also watched a video today and learned that as long as I cover the filter, water will basically run off of it in the shower and I can pat it off afterwards. Others suggested just using a hairdryer on Hollister bags which also sounds like a sucky addition to the morning routine. So excited to try this out tomorrow and skip the Saran Wrap and medical tape (30% success rate ugh) method.

I also know I’m lucky to be a lower output person. I’m dumping (pun intended) 1-2 times a day.  I HATE emptying a bag for so many reasons. Today I realized I could go with a two piece system with closed ended bags and toss them at empty time. I have to say this gives me a lot of relief because it will make this so much easier especially when I have to empty at my very busy teaching job this fall.  I was trying to figure out how I would ever be able to pull off emptying in a ten minute passing period and getting to class early enough to be ready to genuinely welcome students without feeling overwhelmed and flustered. 

so now I come to my question! 

I have a Coloplast 2 piece locking system on me right now and I like it, but it’s a little tricky to click the two pieces together…. Anyone have tips/tricks on this? I scoured the web and couldn’t find any real person advice.

Also, given what I’ve stated above, is anyone using a different two piece closed system that you like? What and why?

sorry for the length, but I thought it might help other newbies to know what I’ve discovered so far as well as getting us done good advice from you seasoned pros.  I’ve attached a pic of my pup because she’s cute.

Happy Monday!

Elle D.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:13 am

Just remember with a closed system, you have to have a bag with you pretty much 24/7. Oh, the Saran Wrap thing is worthless IMO. 

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,891 members
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 am

Welcome elledubuque 🌻 I use the Coloplast 2 piece locking system and I just start at the bottom (hook the bottom into place) and run my fingers along the edge (both sides) moving upward and they meet at the top and it clicks in place. Then I lock it. Sometimes I do need to push harder. But I do feel very secure that they are snug.

Good luck with everything. This forum is great with lots of helpful folks. ❤️

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:54 am

AlexT wrote:

Just remember with a closed system, you have to have a bag with you pretty much 24/7. Oh, the Saran Wrap thing is worthless IMO. 

Maybe try Glad wrap... you might be glad you did. 😁

Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:10 am

SallyK wrote:

Maybe try Glad wrap... you might be glad you did. 😁

Really?

Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:11 am

AlexT wrote:

Really?

LOL 😛 Guess I will stick to my day job.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:47 am

Welcome to the site Elle, it sounds like you,ve taken control of your ostomy and thats good being only 2wk. in, have you looked into irrigation, you might be able to only wear a stoma cap after irrigation.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 am

AlexT wrote:

I’ve got three bags packed with supplies! One for my office when I get back to school, one for my car and one for my hubby’s truck. I’m learning I’ll need to be like a squirrel storing nuts for winter!

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:37 am

SallyK wrote:

Welcome elledubuque 🌻 I use the Coloplast 2 piece locking system and I just start at the bottom (hook the bottom into place) and run my fingers along the edge (both sides) moving upward and they...

Thanks for the advice! I’ll try that method when I change today! Not gonna lie, I’m a little nervous I won’t be able to pull it off! Fingers crossed…. 😊

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:41 am

ron in mich wrote:

Welcome to the site Elle, it sounds like you,ve taken control of your ostomy and thats good being only 2wk. in, have you looked into irrigation, you might be able to only wear a stoma cap after irr...

I haven’t heard of this yet… I’ll talk to my nurse this week and do some research. 
I’m really wanting to settle into my routine so this whole process can be like putting on a seatbelt instead of feeling like a production everyday day. 

Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 am

Also, being so new, your output will more than likely change as you fully heal, your eating habits change, etc. 

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:13 pm

I am a newbie too, 6 weeks in. I found that if I rub a little water or lubricant on the Coloplast hard rim before I snap them together it helps them snap easier.  You could still use a drainable bag instead of a closed end bag and dump the bags if that works better for you if you did this you would also have the ability of draining the bag in an emergency or if you don't have another bag with you for some reason.  I am still haven't decided which bag system I like best I find pros and cons with all of them. I wish I could take parts from each of them and design my own system. :-) Another thing that I have tried is using flushable liners which I find to be less messy so far I have only tried them with Hollister two piece system and they work okay.  I will probably try irrigation but my surgeon said to wait for about 3 months before I do.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:53 am

SallyK wrote:

Welcome elledubuque 🌻 I use the Coloplast 2 piece locking system and I just start at the bottom (hook the bottom into place) and run my fingers along the edge (both sides) moving upward and they...

Hey there!

Well I had my new Coloplast  two piece on for about 24 hours and realized I hadn’t had any movement with all the food I’d eaten. 

when I took off the bag tonight my poo was basically trapped on top of my stoma and it wasn’t possible to just use my finger to wipe it away as the ring from the two piece bag is more like a rigid barrier. 

can you tell me if you encountered this and have any ideas? I really want to use a two piece so I can just toss bags since I only use 1-2.

Thanks for any advice! 

Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am

elledubuque wrote:

Hey there!

Well I had my new Coloplast  two piece on for about 24 hours and realized I hadn’t had any movement with all the food I’d eaten. 

when I took off the bag tonight my poo was basic...

It does appear that the bag is just vacuuming together. I just changed it and added some lubricant and gauze as I read on another site. 

my stoma is pretty level which I am realizing sucks….

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 pm

Welcome . Education is key on this new journey of yours.   I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It’s our National organization.  Also , Ostomy101.com .  You will learn about foods, blockages skin care, clothing , Ostomy products, travel, activities , and a whole host of other tricks of the trade.   You might also want to check out a local support group near you .  Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours.  Best of luck.

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:16 am

Hi, I’m pretty much a newbie too- only 6 months of so many trial & errors. I’m very short waisted and prefer the smaller disposable bags during the day and the larger drains Le at night. I absolutely hate emptying a pouch but since I started to use coconut oil as a lubricant I find that the pouch practically cleans itself. 

Convatec pouches have a peek a boo window to view the stoma which is good for me. Also, a little gauze helps dry around a pouch after hot tubbing, really quickly.

Good luck.

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.