Returning to the pool after ileostomy: Tips?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides tips and advice for individuals looking to return to swimming after having an ileostomy.
JennT

Had ileostomy placed 3 weeks ago. Doc is okay with swimming. 4 months ago, I had 2 total knee replacements, so I'd like to get back to some water therapy. I'm reluctant. Any tips for getting back to the pool? Is there a specific bag I need? Suit? Bag cover? Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning JennT...nothing special needed, dive right in....if you're worried, cover your filter with tape or a sticker and add adhesive strips around the wafer.....enjoy

Tracy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Cplumber

I usually wear a binder, actually just discovered surfing rash guard shirts for swimming so I look cool while covering my stool, (hey a rhyme ;)

Hope that helps

Cplumber

xnine

If you are totally healed, you are good to go. No open wounds. I wear a bandeau (tube top), but that is just me. If your bag is tight on land, it should be good in the water.

AlexT
Reply to Cplumber

I had to look up what a rash guard shirt was, I didn't want some Minnesotan looking cooler than me. Even though I don't wear a shirt much during the summer (cause I don't really care if people know I have an ostomy), I do wear those for work and most of the time when it's hot and being clothed is necessary. Guess I've been more cool than I knew.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
psminker

I wore a one-piece suit 4 weeks after my reversal surgery that did not work. I could not even tell I had a bag on under the swimming suit.

That was awesome, but I do think I put a new dry one on after I was done swimming.

Hairdresser

I like to wear a two-piece bathing suit, that way it is easier to empty my bag than it would be for a one-piece. Just my opinion! Have fun!!

AlexT
Reply to Hairdresser

Makes sense.

psminker
Reply to Hairdresser

I knew I was only going to swim a couple of hours. I made sure it was empty before going and had no need to empty it during "swimming time". I guess if it was going to be a whole day at the beach, that would make a lot of sense.