Need help finding pants for midline colostomy

Replies
Views
Catcando3

I am new to this. Just two weeks out from surgery, I have a stoma located midline (above my belly button, between the rib cage). I am a jeans-tee shirt type of gal, and I am having a hard time with finding any pants to wear that look like they might work. I don't want the stoma to be blocked or squeeze the bag so it won't fill properly. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Please let me know if you can help me with any ideas.
Thank you.

Pinkie pooh

Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,318 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Catcando3

A colostomy.

Bill

Hello Catcando3.

I would look into the possibility of using irrigation at the earliest opportunity. This technique ( if successful) will free you from the need to wear a bag during the day and replace it with a plug, a patch or , if you're lucky, nothing at all. You will be able to wear whatever you like and the management of your stoma will be much easier. 

I was told that I needed to wait for 6 weeks after my surgery before I could irrigate but other's have been given different advice depending upon their circumstances.  It will pay to check with your stoma nurse and there are lots of videos and advice about irrigation on the WWW. (and on this site under 'Collections').

Best wishes 

Bill

Justbreathe

Skinny jeans are still in style (but maybe not for long) and I love them with a longer tee - any tight-fitting stretch pants are great as well.

Also, the latest thing in style is a skort (second time around). Just bought one the other day - very comfortable even if I haven't followed my own advice, which is "if you're old enough to remember it, you're too old to wear it!" LOL

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
patrickrichardson1946

How about fancy overalls with just one strap fashioned?

Pinkie pooh
Reply to Catcando3

What Bill said is what I would have said. Irrigation is the way.

AlexT

Mesh basketball shorts and a t-shirt, what else is there?

patrickrichardson1946

Even with irrigation, wouldn't you still have the same midline (belt) problem???

zanzi1

High-rise jeans - Gloria Vanderbilt (Amanda style), Express, Levi's all have very high-waisted jeans in all styles (bootcut, straight leg, etc...)

bigal1579

Check the company OstomySecrets.com for wraps and high-waisted items.

Bill
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

Hello Patrick.

Thanks for your question, as it is these type of things that people think about when contemplating trying out new ideas. 

One of the many  positive outcomes from using irrigation successfully is that we don't have output during the day. This allows us to simply cover up the stoma in some way and do (or wear) whatever we like.

In my case, I have a parastomal hernia,  which I don't want to get any worse so I wear a stoma plug and both a hernia waistband and a tight outer belt with a hard buckle that sits over the stoma site so that it  exerts extra pressure on the stoma throughout the day. It is the fact that I don't have output that allows me to do this and I am so grateful for opportunity to experiment in such ways. 

I hope this goes some way to answering your question but please feel free to ask some more if there is anything else you wish to know.

Best wishes

Bill 

Immarsh

I have had my ileostomy for more than 60 years, and back in the day..... I even visited newbies .....as did others with ileostomy or colostomy......at a doctor's request. Those were the days before stoma nurses... I was lucky enough to have a perfectly placed ileostomy, but I know others who had midline, above the waist colostomies... My ex-husband had a very long stoma that hung into the pouch and would get very irritated... Placement and size were not "uniform"... In my case.....I have a very low waistline....and my ostomy is below that.... almost in line with my hip bone... So I was never able to wear fitted slacks/jeans with zippers......and even today, the waistline of pull-on pants comes up to just under my boobs... The best fit for me was empire waist dresses...... circa 1968... I made do with my "distorted" shape by learning to sew and by wearing stretchy briefs (panties) just to keep my pouch close to my body. One guy I knew had his colostomy placed midline, over his belly button, and he fashioned a light elastic "wrap" to hold his small protective pouch in place..... Irrigation is a great idea for you, so all you'd need is one of the small/no-spout pouches......to just cover the stoma.... You'd irrigate every day or two......and then replace the small pouch... But if you do have output during the day and need a pouch with a spout, look into Ostomy secrets...... or perhaps a light stretchy longline bra..... or fashion a wrap on your own, using Velcro... Those are just a few suggestions.... I would ask your surgeon, his rationale for placing the stoma in such an awkward position.. Sometimes, it has to be done that way.....if there are problems with other positions.. I really need a "revision" but the doctors are reluctant to do it since my belly is a roadmap of scars... and no place to reset the stoma without problems... You could also ask a dressmaker/seamstress to help you create a support that works for you... Best of luck, Marsha

IGGIE
Reply to Bill

I hope you're going to get your hernia fixed. I have one, and it will be operated on Wednesday, 3rd August this week. I will also be getting cancer removed from my right kidney, so two surgeons operating together. A parastomal hernia will only get worse if you don't get it fixed.

patrickrichardson1946
Reply to Bill

Thanks for the info, Bill. Yours is the answer I was hoping for. Tomorrow, I will attend my local stoma clinic and will be discussing irrigation with them. Patrick

Catcando3
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

Yes, I would.

yaya

Cat... why not look into casual linen or cotton pants that have the ruffle elastic waist. They are very popular now. You can roll them up for a sporty look or leave the hem down. I don't know if this helps? Might be worth a try? Good luck!

betsyb

Bike shorts! And men's boxers at night. I only like dresses these days. Good luck.

Renfromtexas
Reply to betsyb

I love my dresses as well

Peg

I have had a colostomy for 27 years and wear jeans and T-shirts without any problem. When I was younger, I wore lower-waisted ones than I do now. I like the mid-high rise best. Now I wear a T-shirt that covers the waist or tuck it in. No problems. If the bag fills, it may be a bit tight but I just go empty it. Wear what you want!