Need help with ileostomy filter leaks

Replies
Views
Humpty

I have had a temporary ileostomy since March due to complications from ovarian cancer staging surgery. I use Hollister one-piece drainable system with a filter, and the filter almost always leaks. Any suggestions on how to prevent the leakage?

AlexT

No idea. I use the same setup, maybe a different model number, and haven't had any issues with the filters leaking since I got my bag in March of 2021.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Perhaps cover the filter.

Humpty
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

I was thinking of doing that.

Ben38

Filter sticker over filter, if any, in the box. If not, a piece of sellotape will do the same job.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Humpty
Reply to Ben38

Thank you.

TerryLT

I use the same product as you and experienced the same thing. Get a roll of 3M transparent waterproof tape and stick it over the filter. Works perfectly. I have complained to Hollister about this and suggested they give people the option of buying the same pouch without a filter. If enough people complain, maybe they will. It can help to be a squeaky wheel!

Terry

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Humpty

It will work, hun, and remember to also cover it in water, shower, etc.... Never be scared to try....

You got this.

Tracy

Humpty
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you, I will get the 3M tape

Longroad78

On Coloplast product, the carbon filter will get wet from the inside from liquid getting to it when sleeping on my back. Once the filter is wet, that is the end of it working. The shower sticker that covers the vent or clear packing tape will help with an extra day or more placed on the outside of the bag over the filter. It is not if but when that filter gets wet is the norm. Using a two-piece system that allows changing out the bag only helps.