Frequency of Emptying Illeostomy Bags?

Replies
Views
jalrein

I'm curious as to how many times a day people empty your ileostomy bags. 5-6 times a day for me. I know it mostly depends on how much is eaten or drank.....

Rose Bud 🌹

Like you said, it depends on what you eat. Some, like me, no matter what I've tried, have high output at least 8 to 10 times a day. 6 is what I hear is normal. The more water content or fiber in your food, the more you go.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,478 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

I have an ileostomy and I'm a good eater, and I empty about 4 times in 24 hours.

Rose Bud 🌹
Reply to Cplumber

Wow... lucky dog. I wish that was the case with me!

ReddogUSA

All depends on what I eat, or how much I drink. Try to eat a few small meals during the day, and attempt to drink 5 big glasses of water or tea, but I don't like to let my bag get more than 1/2 full... empty 5-6 times during work hours, so probably 10-12 times in a 24-hour period, becomes habit feeling your bag during the night... don't like blowouts either!!! Lol

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
elwick

A stoma nurse told me that with an ileostomy, it also depends on how long the remaining ileum is. I have had 4 operations, each time the ileum lost a bit more in length. I need to empty (depending on food) about every 2-3 hours. Sometimes I find traces of what I've just eaten in the bag half an hour later.

Axl

Too many...

ron in mich

Hi all, it's 6/7 for me. I drink more water, Gatorade, iced tea, pop, and so on, especially in the summer.

Ben38

Around 10 times a day, sometimes more, I had a lot of my small bowel removed a few years ago. That makes a big difference. Before that, about 2 to 3 times a day, still better than when I had jejunostomy, around 30ish times a day when I had that.

Abefroman1969

Somewhere from 6-12 times a day depending on diet, coffee, etc.