Funny feeling with output in pouch?

Replies
Views
gingerlee54

Hi Osteomates,

I'm post 3 months since my stoma placement, total colectomy with end ileostomy. I often feel a funny feeling when my output runs into my pouch.

Anyone with this issue?

Thanks, Ginger

eefyjig

Absolutely. Like an, "Oh my" feeling, usually when my output is very wet and warm and spurts out. I've had my ostomy for almost eight years and that feeling still takes me by surprise sometimes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mayoman

That's so familiar. It's a weird kind of tingle!! The one other time/situation I felt that was in the ICU. The drain tube coming from my side was being removed. As they pulled out the drainage tube, the incision kept getting bigger and bigger!! To my amazement, out pops a huge safety pin attached to two surgical gloves tied together!!! I could not believe how the incision stretched open and just snapped shut again!! It was just a hole in my side, not a long incision. As the flesh stretched to allow the gloves to come through the tiny hole, I felt that same thing. I figure the flesh that the stoma attaches to is stretched by a gas bubble or lumpy bits in the output, and that's where that sensation comes from. It does go away, I guess when your body gets used to the abnormal anatomical configuration the nerve endings stay calm.

Those gloves had me mesmerized, but didn't feel any pain at all...then again I probably have Demerol to thank for that!! LOL

Just my experience

eefyjig
Reply to Mayoman

A safety pin and gloves were in there? Whoa!

gingerlee54
Reply to eefyjig

Thank you. Good to know this 'feeling happens to others too.

Blessings, Gingerlee.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gingerlee54
Reply to Mayoman

Mercy, I'd be telling someone who performed your procedure about the gloves and safety pin... You're so fortunate you could remove it without a lot of discomfort.

Thanks a bunch for your input regarding my output lol... I do hope this feeling will go away when my skin becomes tougher.

Blessings, Gingerlee

TerryLT

I think it's perfectly normal. I often feel it when there is a lot of output suddenly coming out, yet most of the time I feel nothing.

Terry

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hey girl, you're not alone... I can usually tell or feel when I am going.... My ileostomy Stumpy lets me know, and yes, I can feel it as well.

Mayoman
Reply to eefyjig

Yup Effie!!! Two surgical gloves tied in knots and held with a big diaper safety pin!!! They said it creates an open cavity for the body fluids to collect/pool inside and then drained from the cavity after my open belly surgery. I was just amazed at how stretchy human flesh is!!! The hole may have been the diameter of the middle joint of the middle finger, so pretty small really. The opening did not tear or rip at all as it stretched to accommodate the balled up gloves (highly sanitized beforehand, of course). The safety pin was still nice and shiny, no corrosion, I looked!! It looks like a bullet hole in my side!! No, never made up a story! That would make a good short story, have to get writing!!

Magoo

eefyjig

Just, wow!