Seeking Advice: Back Brace for Ostomy and Arthritis

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recommendations and experiences with using a back brace for individuals with ostomy and arthritis, providing helpful insights and advice.
Barbieg121968

Does anyone have any suggestions for wearing a back brace with an ostomy? I have arthritis in my low back and probably mid back too. I can't find a support back brace for someone with an ostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I would think some of the wider ostomy belts would work. Or maybe this...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlexT

There's a couple others also that are wider and would probably work, but they didn't come up right away in my search. I believe one is made by one of the ostomy bag/supply companies if I remember right. By the way, is that your birthday 12/19/68? If so, mine too.

Barbieg121968
Reply to AlexT

Thank you so much!!! Yes, that is my birthdate! We need to celebrate together now.

AlexT
Reply to Barbieg121968

You're welcome. I've searched a lot for belts, so I knew there were wider ones. And since you pull them tight, I figure there would be added back support with them. Nobody has ever offered to celebrate the greatest day the world has ever known with me.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Barbieg121968
Reply to AlexT

Well, there you go. Now you have someone else to celebrate your/my special day!!!

NancyCat
Reply to AlexT

Oh my goodness, I have had so many back braces, but none of them worked with the ostomy pouch! After I had my surgery, the nurses in ICU ended up cutting a hole in an elastic brace that they had--and it seemed to work. I don't wear it very often now, not because I don't hurt, but because I'm too lazy to put it on--lol

AlexT
Reply to NancyCat

That could work too if a person already has a brace. Some braces have support bars/bands in them, so a person would have to make sure cutting into any of that wouldn't affect the support of the brace.